SS1600K attempt on a 90cc Postie

tj189

Premier Member
Ahh Frog, the bike is not sounding to good but you are ok, that really is good. Take care and I look forward to your next escapade...

Abe

Thanks for the update Karl.
Bugger, Bugger, Bugger
One good thing Frog, you get more man shed time ;)
Good to hear your ok

Frog

Premier Member
IBA Member
Here is Taddy ready to go
DSCN0653.JPG
I hit a 79km OA 20km out of MT Barker.
Here I am in Mt Barker 1st fuel stop, and yes it was cold, I was praying for the sun to come up by 3.00am. There was thick fog and rain, once I turned the LED lamps off I found little Taddy's single 35Watt with its yellow colour just right;). I had a cramp in the left Hami from severe bouts of uncontrollable shivering and poor riding position. I tried several people at the servo but not one would be so kind as to massage ito_O
DSCN0654.JPG
Left MT Barker with 77km OA
Got abit lost in Kataning, The BIL rang, I answered it and it shut the Nav audio off:rolleyes:
Things were going swimmingly I had the OA back to 78 and climbing with a tail wind as I headed East, I took the north route through Lake Grace as the southern coastal route is hilly.
I wasn't long before I noticed wet stuff on the boots and engine I was undecided about water as the rain had finished a half hour earlier. So I pulled over and checked...OIL:eek: the oil cooler had failed due to the last attempt...you know the one where we skidded down the road east of Norseman. I discussed the situation with Taddy, she explained the basic facts as we knew them and that she was in no pain... she agreed to push on, bless her little cotton socks. I bypassed the cooler and we agreed to keep it under 85km/hr to keep the heat down. In addition utilising the A/F meter on the bars I would keep the mixture under 13.2 : 1 and nearer to 12.5 : 1. It was tricky surgery and for a while touch and go, but Taddy was happy with it and wasn't really concerned about any scaring.
DSCN0655.JPG

There was some new noises in the engine but we carried on regardless with a 74km OA. The day was only in the high 20 degree's and we had ridden in mid 30's last time before we stacked it so was confident on the longevity of the engine. arriving in Lake king The OA was back to 75 and the Hami still sore. I put in fuel and turned south for the leg with a south westerly. this was the best route to get a head wind for only a short distance.
Turning east at Ravensthorpe
try4 Ravensthorpe.jpg
I stopped for a docket and a coffee to give Taddy a breather. There I caught up with Brett Flavell who had driven the 60km from Hopetoun to cheer us on.
We got going toward Esperance with a tail wind and some big hills, balanced out nicely:cool:.
We stopped along the way to shake the Wessel and check Taddy over. adjusting the Cam Chain tensioner got rid of one noise.
DSCN0659.JPG
as we got closer to our turn north the expected wind change from the south arrived and the last 40km were near headwinds making it diffecult to balance the road speed and load on the engine, Taddy wanted to do 85-90 but I reminded her of our earlier conversation.
At last we turned north right about the 1000km mark. But just as we turned and powered on with the tail wind there was a massive loss of power... did a brake stick on? I pulled over to check...as soon as I felt the pot I knew thing weren't good but the little Tike said she could carry on. we restarted and headed off the OA was back at 74.
Arriving at Gibbson I tried for some fuel but after 5 min the pump wasn't authorised so just needing a docket I whent in for some thing quick...chewies on the counter, that will do...the lass had to go find out how much they were:(. finally on the road, massive tail wind heading north to Kalgoorlie...a few Km's out of Gibbson and a plumb of white smoke out the engine breather...the little Tike was all washed out:(.
Seeing the smoke a local cocky Ray Sullivan stopped and put us on his ute, took us to his farm. I left Taddy at his place and he gave me a lift to Esperance on the back of his GS, where I would stay in a motel and catch the bus back to Perth Wednesday morning. I didn't happen like that. Brett drove the 200km from Hopetoun and picked me up at 06.30hrs we then drove the 40km to Ray's loaded the bike, drove back to Hopetoun, dropped Brett home and I drove the 500km home with plum tuckered out little Taddy strapped on the back.
Top Blokes are Brett and Ray, Thanks again.
Now I thought that we would be ok with out the cooler on such a mild day, but then postie bikes are designed to do 20m sprints from letter box to letter box. so heat build up isn't an issue. Taddy was producing around 72% more power than Honda intended and the heat to go with that, her little cooling fins just weren't big enough. not many race engines run WOT for five hours straight, even V8 touring cars and F1 button off in the corners. I think she did well. the irony is that there was a mark on the cooler after the stack but I though nothing of it and that if I were to change the cooler I might as well change every thing else on her that was still workingo_O, I had ordered a Temp gauge for the Oil and fitted the sender to the Exhaust tappet cover (see pic) but the supplier sent a 24v gauge by mistake and had no 12v ones left when I discovered the problem. I am sure that had the gauge gone in in time for the ideal weather conditions, I would have monitored the temp and aborted the ride before destroying an engine. ( see below)

Looks like the head will go again
Try4-.jpg

The piston won't, The pot will need a hone and measure too see its future
Try4..jpg

The gudgeon pin welded its self to the rod, so they are out. the crank will need come out for that:(
try4.jpg

May be rethinking this whole obsession... need to get the Toadster out, enjoy the power of a comfortable 17hr SS1600 and clear the head.

Last edited:

Crappy

Premier Member
I was hoping we 'd get worn out piston photos didn't expect them so soon.

Wow Taddy the war that raged in your bore was well fought you gave everything you had ...................you deserve another chance.

tj189

Premier Member
Thanks for the posting up the report and photos. fantastic to read about the support of others going out of their way to help.

Skidoo

Premier Member
Mate, what bad luck you have had but what an experience. Loved your ride report and the pics. That engine certainly did well under the circumstances and how unlucky receiving a 24v gauge instead of a 12v one, and 72% more power over a stock bike, wow.

Hope to catch up soon when your on the full sized bike :D

These 1600 Km rides can certainly bring on a great adventure. Great to see the helpfulness of fellow riders down the southwest. :) Top overall average Frog, not to mention your gumption at sticking with it thru the dark hours cold.
Sad for Tadpole and for you. Seems you enjoy the engineering side of motorbike ownership. :rolleyes:
Looking forward to your report on the rebuild and your next ride/s.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Great report Frog. We've all been hanging on and hoping the whole shebang would get over that 1600K line. "Not right" riding is always an adventure.

Frog

Premier Member
IBA Member
After stripping down to my jocks, standing in front of the full length mirror and taking a jolly good look at myself,:eek: I decided that this obsession with the 90cc engine isn't healthy and I must put an end to it.:(.

Skidoo

Premier Member
After stripping down to my jocks, standing in front of the full length mirror and taking a jolly good look at myself,:eek: I decided that this obsession with the 90cc engine isn't healthy and I must put an end to it.:(.
That's what I say after every 50cc I do on the R15 but I keep going back for more! I believe it's a bit like childbirth, once the pain is gone you give it another go.

Oh noooooo ... :eek::( I was so looking forward to hearing about the preps for the next and then following the spot with fingers crossed and hoping hard for you. Disappointed, but understanding.