SS1k with no odometer?

Hey all, I'm planning on doing my first saddlesore on Aug 27th and was wondering, for the folks who did not have an odometer on their bikes, what alternative did you use when taking pictures of your receipts?

I saw on the FAQ that I could use a bike computer or GPS odometer but I could not find a bike computer that would work for a motorcycle and was hoping not to spend $200+ on a GPS. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I could not find a bike computer that would work for a motorcycle
Any bike computer can be made to work on a motorcycle, once you properly set it up by entering the required measurements.

You won't find one that says "Also for use on motorcycles!", so you have to think outside the box.

If you don't have a working odometer and aren't willing to do any of the things in the FAQ, there isn't much more that can be recommended except that you fix your broken odometer.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@Ira offered a simple solution, but I agree with @Russ Black. The caveat is that you will be buying non-motorcycle GPS units. Do not stress about that issue, they work just fine on motorcycles too, and you can usually get a RAM mount/cradle for them as well as a 12v power cord off ebay for equally cheap. I have been using car GPS units on my motorcycles for a decade or more. And you can follow some simple tips to make them more water resistant, but a simple plastic bag and some hair bands or rubber bands will make it completely waterproof if you're riding into a frog strangler. Check out this video for some tips - LINK

For using bike computers on a motorcycle, you need to securely glue the magnet to the rim and mount the appropriate pick up on the inside of the fork leg. You should be able to find some YouTube videos on that too. There are aftermarket motorcycle speedo/odo units for ADV bikes as well, but not necessary cost effective, depending on your motorcycle and situation.

@TheOnlyMata - What bike are you riding that lacks an odometer?

National Just Because Day SS1K?

EddyC

IBA Member
If you buy a "cheap amazon gps", you should check if it accepts gpx tracks.
My old Garmin 255W still works, and I carry it just in case of an emergency, but it does not accept a route or a track made with f.i. Basecamp.
Best of luck..
Ed.

Russ Black

Premier Member
I tried to waterproof my Nuvi's using the video above but there are 4 other ways that water can enter the unit besides from around the screen; 1. The seam between the front and rear case; 2. The power button 3. The speaker grill; 4. The power connection. As with @EricV, I just use a clear Zip Lock bag. FYI - I have also forgotten to bring one and have had my GPS get soaked from the rain on more than one occasion and beleive it or not, it still is working

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I tape over the speaker grill and other ports. (I'm a visual guy, I usually don't bother to link to the Sena, even if the device can.) The power connection has a plug in it going to the bike power and like Russ, sometimes mine has gotten wet, but despite a little wonky screen, it lived and dried out in a couple of days on the road. I haven't had to resort to putting it in rice, but would go there if need be.

Thank you all for the responses. Been really useful in making my decision on what route to go.

@EricV Going to be taking my chopped 03 sporty. Got rid of the odometer a while back and sold it on eBay lol. Guess I should've kept it. Although, I just remembered a few days ago that I have an old GPS unit from a while back that, if I can find it, I will probably go that route.

Been getting the bike prepped that past couple weeks with leaks/maintenance/mods that will make the bike more comfortable/reliable for the ride that I haven't had much time to do more research about what to do without an odometer so I was seeking some answers here. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

@Ira I guess my main question would be if instead of using an odometer, would a "miles remaining" counter off google maps be sufficient enough? I just don't want to do the ride only to find out that my submission will be denied.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Just get a crappy GPS wire it direct to the battery and use the ODO on that you can get them for $20 bucks in 2nd hand stores. No sense reinventing the wheel.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
@Ira I guess my main question would be if instead of using an odometer, would a "miles remaining" counter off google maps be sufficient enough? I just don't want to do the ride only to find out that my submission will be denied.
We do not use your odo reading as any kind of official mileage. It's just another cross-check on your other documentation and our own distance calculations. As has been suggested, there are lots of alternatives at your disposal. So it shouldn't be a problem to find a solution that provides a running mileage total.

Hoppy

Used a cheap cycle speedo/odo unit on my '76 Gold Wing for over a year until I found the digital set I wanted to install. Worked great, just had to replace two AAA batteries occasionally.