SS2000 "inclusive of" pricing question

Becca

Premier Member
This past weekend hubby and I rode an SS2000 attempt, during which we feel (hope!) we successfully documented that ride along with a TOH SS1000 In-State (KS) and a TOH BB1500 In-State (KS) .

We don't want the certificates for those shorter rides, but we would love to have the SS2000 certificate state something along the lines of "This is to certify that ... a SS2000, inclusive of two TOH In-State rides within Kansas - SS1000 and BB1500 ... " or something to that effect.

I know that validating the "included" two rides would take extra time and effort so we definitely expect to pay for that. What I'm wondering, though, is the add-on pricing shown at http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=8 is for both the verifications and the certificates -- would the pricing be the same for just the verification? Or maybe a few dollars less each?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
This past weekend hubby and I rode an SS2000 attempt, during which we feel (hope!) we successfully documented that ride along with a TOH SS1000 In-State (KS) and a TOH BB1500 In-State (KS) .

We don't want the certificates for those shorter rides, but we would love to have the SS2000 certificate state something along the lines of "This is to certify that ... a SS2000, inclusive of two TOH In-State rides within Kansas - SS1000 and BB1500 ... " or something to that effect.

I know that validating the "included" two rides would take extra time and effort so we definitely expect to pay for that. What I'm wondering, though, is the add-on pricing shown at http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=8 is for both the verifications and the certificates -- would the pricing be the same for just the verification? Or maybe a few dollars less each?
I answered this question recently for a writer to the IBA Web site.

The answer is that what one pays for is the ride verification. We throw in the piece of paper that is the certificate for free. :) So there would be no price difference.

I should also mention that the basic rule for multiple certificates on the same ride is that if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only issue a single certificate. For example, everyone who completes a Bun Burner GOLD (BBG - 1,500 miles in 24 hours) has by definition completed a Saddlesore 1000 (1,000 miles in 24 hours). So we would not issue both certificates. On the other hand, one can complete a Bun Burner 1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours) without necessarily completing a Saddlesore 1000. So in that case, we could issue both.

This is also true for a Saddlesore 1000/Saddlesore 2000 - if one completes the SS2K, one by definition has completed at least one SS1K. So we wouldn't want to issue both (let alone two SS1K with the SS2K). But this case is a little different because the TOH folks certify that you have completed their requirements for the TOH, which is separate from the IBA certifying the SS1K for the ride. At the same time, we are happy to work with you on the SS2K wording, which could be something like ". . . completed the Saddlesore 2000 while meeting the Tour of Honor requirements for . . . ".

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Becca

Premier Member
I answered this question recently for a writer to the IBA Web site.

The answer is that what one pays for is the ride verification. We throw in the piece of paper that is the certificate for free. :) So there would be no price difference.

I should also mention that the basic rule for multiple certificates on the same ride is that if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only issue a single certificate. For example, everyone who completes a Bun Burner GOLD (BBG - 1,500 miles in 24 hours) has by definition completed a Saddlesore 1000 (1,000 miles in 24 hours). So we would not issue both certificates. On the other hand, one can complete a Bun Burner 1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours) without necessarily completing a Saddlesore 1000. So in that case, we could issue both.

This is also true for a Saddlesore 1000/Saddlesore 2000 - if one completes the SS2K, one by definition has completed at least one SS1K. So we wouldn't want to issue both (let alone two SS1K with the SS2K). But this case is a little different because the TOH folks certify that you have completed their requirements for the TOH, which is separate from the IBA certifying the SS1K for the ride. At the same time, we are happy to work with you on the SS2K wording, which could be something like ". . . completed the Saddlesore 2000 while meeting the Tour of Honor requirements for . . . ".

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Thanks Ira. Free pieces of paper, yay. (Lol) Understood.. Great that we could get the wording massaged to reflect the TOH rides inside. Yes, we'll only want the one certificate out of all of it, if we indeed earned it all.