Starting in the Middle

David Goebel

Premier Member
I've been searching and reading but haven't found this question asked (AT LEAST RECENTLY).

If I live in the middle of a certified ride (like the Pines to Palms in the US) Can I start from home, Ride to the Pines end, Ride back to the Palms end, then return home and get a Pines to Palms to Pines certification?
Same would be true of SDO to Jax 50cc type ride OR do I have to discount my ride to the start, Start at Pines, ride to Palms, then back to Pines, then back home even though I've passed through home twice?

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It was asked not very long ago, if you don't start at either coast it is not a Coast to Coast ride, so no you cannot start in the middle

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Permit me to clarify my early morning, caffeine-free post (above...) ;)

Same would be true of SDO to Jax 50cc type ride OR do I have to discount my ride to the start, Start at Pines, ride to Palms, then back to Pines, then back home even though I've passed through home twice?
Yeah, so the question has been asked infrequently, but I recall it's discussion years ago on the old forum.

I *do* live right on the 50CC route, but the simple fact of the matter is the 50CC ride is described as from SDO to Jax (or, vice versa), not 'starting from Tucson, goto Jax, then to SDO, then to Tucson', simply because that's not the ride as it's described.

My solution? If possible, achieve *another* IBA ride. That's why I did the "Why? to Whynot!" ride heading east back in October of 2016. Oh, I certainly could have done the 50CC from SDO to Jax, but then what? I was not really mentally ready to attempt a 100CCC, since all of the cert rides I'd done previously to that point were 'only' (heh!) SS1000's. I'm also (obviously) a heck of a lot closer to home in SDO, thus the planning getting back home after ~5000 miles was easy. I figured, I could be pretty beat and still ride the ~360 miles home. As I'd expected. I was beat (sick, specifically) when I was done.

Just like with the "Why? to Whynot!", the Pines to Palms is uni-directional. The ride simply works because of how it's described.

Hope this clarified my earlier response.

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
What others have said. There are a number of geographically-based rides that require one to start and end at the locations indicated. The 50cc, UCC, and Heaven to Hell are some examples of such rides.

One can argue that the mileage is the same as if it were done in accordance with the rules. That can be said for any of the geographically-based rides. Taken to the extreme, for example, a 50cc ride could be completed between two arbitrary points not even on the coasts as long as the distance matched.

Another argument I hear frequently is that "because I live in Kansas City, I'm at a disadvantage to those living on the coasts when it comes to the 50cc, " and similar. The fact of the matter is that we're all at some disadvantage depending upon the ride. Those living in San Diego may not have to ride as far to the start/finish of 50cc as someone in KC, but need to ride quite a distance to start/end a UCC.

As others have pointed out, one could possibly complete one or more other certificate rides to the start/from the finish of the larger ride. But in general, the "World's Toughest Riders" should be looking for excuses to do some more miles, not fewer. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

David Goebel

Premier Member
Ira, Ken, Chris, Amnon, Thank you all for the responses, That is what I expected, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't adding an extra 16 hours of driving to do a back to back. I'm' certain for my first couple years of IBA rides I'll just be managing the one way versions of the rides, but just hadn't been able to find the answer pointed out in the Insanity ride definitions. Since Pines to Palms is the closest destination to destination ride for me I think Ill start there.. Looking forward to seeing other IBA'ers out there on the road.
Or I could do a Pines to Palms to JAx to SDO, then home, that ought to fill a week of vacation...<G>

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
Just to clarify one point mentioned earlier. Unless I misunderstand the 50CC does not have to be from SDO to JAX as long as it is coast to coast. The aforementioned route is just the shortest version.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Just to clarify one point mentioned earlier. Unless I misunderstand the 50CC does not have to be from SDO to JAX as long as it is coast to coast. The aforementioned route is just the shortest version.
Emphatically concur, as there's no pre-defined "from-to" in the ride description.

I used my ride as explanation, due to my home location for the OP's consideration.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Emphatically concur, as there's no pre-defined "from-to" in the ride description.

I used my ride as explanation, due to my home location for the OP's consideration.
There is, in fact, a pre-defined "from-to" in the ride description. It is from one coast to the other coast.

The intent of my example was to point out that, in the case of the 50cc, someone from, for example, KC needed to ride more miles to the start/finish than one who lived, for example, in San Diego. That's not to imply that the ride needs to start/end in San Diego. Apologies if I caused any confusion.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association