Submitting an old ride

Rusjel

Premier Member
I rode to the first memorial ride for Davo in 2010 at the cairn at the beginning of Horrocks pass.

It was a moving event I was proud to be part of. All the speakers, Tackleberry and even Ghosty spoke well. Sometimes when I think of the fractured distance riding community in Oz I think of this event and what is possible.

Anyhow, those that were there know how wild the weather was that night. I deviated from my ride plan and took a short cut so that I could be sure to get there and be the MC.

Along the way I found Micheal P and we rode Port Wakefield to the gutter and up to Horrocks together. Along the way we found that the Port Pirie BP was 24 hr, so after the gathering I rode back to the BP, then on to the Gutter, making a pretty solid 1670 or so.

Looking at the rules, it looks like it's possible for me to obtain a corner witness form to prove I was at Horrocks ( Tackleberry has indicated he would be willing to sign same) and submit the ride on that basis.

So Am I interpreting things correctly and is this a cunning plan?

Nico

Well-known Member. Moderator
It certainly was a day to be proud of Russ, and I agree that it makes me think what would be possible if the LD riding community was not so fragmented. But it necessarily comes from leadership and goodwill.
Interestingly, that was the first siting of the plaque for Davo, and was in November, with the annual rides moving to September.
I hope you don't mind me putting up a few photos of the day on your thread.
It certainly was crap weather!

On the matter of submitting the paperwork, others here might know if a corner witness is acceptable for the ride substantiation.

Last edited:

Daisy

Premier Member
Two different rides Nico. Russ was at the September one. Interestingly, Nannette and I had a similar issue in November. We took a detour after leaving Nuriootpa and our final kilometres are about five short. I have a Spot track to prove where we went, but I'm waiting for her to find the paperwork and we'll see if it passes muster. We did the ride together and we'll get it certified together or not at all.
Russ, with regard to the age of the ride, I did a SS1600 to Queensland earlier in 2010 and only submitted it last year when I needed an IBA number to attend the Parkes Muster.

Rusjel

Premier Member
That's correct Daisy.

Just to fill in the history, there were two 'memorial' rides in 2010.

The first was in September at midnight at the cairn at Horrocks pass.

The second was in November where the plaque was unveiled.

So many good memories from that wild September night. The wind blowing trees across the road at Tuoro and Nuriootpa. Passing a cop at speed on that road when he was just trying to stay on his bike. He didn't give chase. Peg deep water crossings in the ranges, getting there and enjoying Ron's fine hospitality. The tributes, sharing a room with Bazz and Ian on the TDM, then sharing the road back to Mildura with him.

Doing that ride on. Daytona 955 will stay with me forever, as will the love and respect for the folk there towards the founder of Farriders.

Reason enough to finally get it documented.

Nico

Well-known Member. Moderator
Thanks for reminding me Daisy.
Looking back I didn't make it to the September one.
But I haven't missed one since.
I must have been tricked by the reference to the weather. ;)

tj189

Premier Member
I rode to the first memorial ride for Davo in 2010 at the cairn at the beginning of Horrocks pass.

It was a moving event I was proud to be part of. All the speakers, Tackleberry and even Ghosty spoke well. Sometimes when I think of the fractured distance riding community in Oz I think of this event and what is possible.

Anyhow, those that were there know how wild the weather was that night. I deviated from my ride plan and took a short cut so that I could be sure to get there and be the MC.

Along the way I found Micheal P and we rode Port Wakefield to the gutter and up to Horrocks together. Along the way we found that the Port Pirie BP was 24 hr, so after the gathering I rode back to the BP, then on to the Gutter, making a pretty solid 1670 or so.

Looking at the rules, it looks like it's possible for me to obtain a corner witness form to prove I was at Horrocks ( Tackleberry has indicated he would be willing to sign same) and submit the ride on that basis.

So Am I interpreting things correctly and is this a cunning plan?
Rus, by all means submit the ride, it really does not matter the age of the ride as long as you can submit the paperwork (and explanations if required)

Totally agree with your point referring to what is possible and from our perspective, there is no reason why it cannot or should not be. We will continue to work with and foster working relationships with other LDRiding groups and especially those new groups to our sport in assisting where we can.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member

kwaka

Premier Member
Russ, go for it! I'll be a happy witness.
Many of us from that night can vouch for your bona fides. I've even got it in my RR that after that first Davo Memorial you had to head to Pt Pirie so as to get the required km and you need that Pt Pirie servo as proof of your ride. See my RR here and I quote, "Russell was headed to Port Pirie and back so he could complete his SS1600K."

You'll also note from the pix that there were quite of few of the LD fraternity there including Paul and Alison. It was a most fitting tribute on the anniversary of losing one of Australia foremost long distance guiding lights. So many fond memories and the promise of what LD riding held for us into the future here in Oz...

Go for it mate!

Rusjel

Premier Member
O.k, hit a slight snag. All my receipts except for the two Port Augusta ones are perfect, but those are so faded I can't read them.

I rode into Port Augusta with Micheal P the first time at about 2300, up the the Memorial, Port Pirie at about 0130 then back to the gutter. So no end receipt but a finish receipt.

I'll try and photocopy the receipts with heavy tint tomorrow to see it the details can be made legible.

My other option is to get another corner witness form from Micheal P for my first stop in the gutter. I do have a ride log with the times that might help a bit too.

As I am one of the naughty kids over at Farriders and no longer have contacts for Micheal, could someone please ask him to make contact with me? [email protected]

In better news, the other ride I'd like to resurrect, Glen, Ed's and my SS2000 on the way to the 2011 Border run has all the receipts and witness forms in perfect condition.

Farkleit

Premier Member
O.k, hit a slight snag. All my receipts except for the two Port Augusta ones are perfect, but those are so faded I can't read them.

I rode into Port Augusta with Micheal P the first time at about 2300, up the the Memorial, Port Pirie at about 0130 then back to the gutter. So no end receipt but a finish receipt.

I'll try and photocopy the receipts with heavy tint tomorrow to see it the details can be made legible.

My other option is to get another corner witness form from Micheal P for my first stop in the gutter. I do have a ride log with the times that might help a bit too.

As I am one of the naughty kids over at Farriders and no longer have contacts for Micheal, could someone please ask him to make contact with me? [email protected]

In better news, the other ride I'd like to resurrect, Glen, Ed's and my SS2000 on the way to the 2011 Border run has all the receipts and witness forms in perfect condition.
Always photo copy any receipts you get for anything, the type of paper and ink they use never last they always fade. So whether its a few receipt or receipt for something you bought for a warranty, photo copy them. Alsao while riding you can take a photo of them, photo dont fade either.

Farkleit

Premier Member
Great advice Farkleit.....for next time.

You got anything for this scenario?
Do you have any other way of proving you stopped at said locations? Ie spot tracker. Or bubbler. And depending on how long ago some places can dig out and reprint old receipts. Depending on how old i guess.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Bubbler did not exist back then Farkleit.
... 2010. Wild stormy night that had most of eastern Australia shut down to a crawl.
Russell maybe some personal search and a call out to the rest of the distance community of that time and who made that trip and see if you can dig out some dots to connect and thus close down the time frame's a bit to show the window that you need.
I would say even create the original route and distances in a log format with the dockets you still have and the old log to cross reference it with. If there is a bubble in the mileage in any particular leg it will show up in the out and back section from the last docket to the end time as being in excess if the distance. Lay that down onto your map and the loop will Im sure fit.
Contact as many as possible.

Rusjel

Premier Member
Thanks to you both, some good ideas there. I think if I can make contact with Micheal P I can sort it.

He rode from Port Wakefield to Port Augusta ( faded receipt 1) to the memorial with me. I have Ian Alexanders sig on my finish receipt and Tack will do a witness receipt for the memorial.

Anyway, if I can get Micheal P on a witness form I can submit the ride and let the cards fall where they may.

Thanks again.

Ed.

Premier Member
Russ, if you scan it and then someone with some good image processing kungfu MIGHT be able to resurrect something. Failing that was it a credit card and would you still have the statement from that time?

Rusjel

Premier Member
I'll give that a go as well Ed, thanks.

Farkleit is right about taking images asap.

I have two unsubmitted rides from 2010, an SS2000 from 2011, a centreline 36 from 2013 and a two 1600s from 2014, all the dockets are still in perfect condition, just the two dockets from the same servo in Port Augusta, about four hours apart.

You gotta laugh.