support vehicle or no support vehicle?

Fransvdm

Premier Member
Clive
You are over planning this ride with unnecessary add-ons. For a start I would do a practice run from Rockhampton to Colac so you know more or less what to expect.

Don't worry about the support vehicle. It's not for serious rides

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
One of our team has stated clearly that we are nuts for trying the ride, but says he will gladly drive one way, and we enjoy teasing the hell out of him for it, he is more concerned about leaving a rider stranded on the side of the road, while most riders I know would also stop their attempt rather than leave a friend behind, our friend is sying he wants those who set out to do the challenge not feel so bad for continuing after one of the team has broken down, and he says it should be a good opportunity for some really good pictures as well. As for nationality of riders We don't have a problem with that, we have a belief that if you ride we have something to talk about, and you may be in another country, a lot of your experience is very valuable, so kwthom, we love to hear from you as well. Our merry little group is 1 very young rider, one middle age rider, and me the older rider. I thank you all for your assistance, it is making our planning so much easier, I suppose my biggest problem is I am not tech minded, so navigating some things are simple to some, but can be quite a challenge for me.

There is alot of " he" in this particular post. All and each of your group are most likely smart INDIVIDUALS and its more than a hunch that those individuals are past mothering.
Step one to get the noose from around your necks as a bunch is be straight up. " your bike breaks down then if its not fixable inside 1 hour then after outside coms have been confirmed with that individuals family/rescue unit the mate then moves on. The group should have gone long ago.

This group thing is never ever an easy beast to coordinate. Its harder at fuel stops to hit the bowsers with 10 or even six bikes. Its a CF at the resumption of the ride after any sort of stop and only ever works with a bunch of riders whom have already been punching out big days AS THE NORM.

Clive you seem to be the wring leader so its now up to you to get this back into perspective at a level that simplifies the entire event and brings those whom realy want to do this..over the line in one bit at the end of the journey.

Some simple things to get in order.
*Get your group used to a common start time, well rested and already loaded fuelled and ready for the kickoff. By start time I mean a time to be on hand with 10 minutes to spare. Hearding cats. Clive your the cat shepard. Get tough and whip them into order.
* Have that group at a location that can print all your start dockets within say 15 minutes. That's all the START dockets. Thats the start so at the end have each tool...rider get their finish docket in the same order so no one is compromised. You should not need to be chasing the last minute. Its 18 hours max More on that in a moment. ( if your end or turn round location has a few servos in town then spread out.
* As each rider is so fitted out with their docket get them on there way. DO NOT WAIT FOR EACH RIDER TO BE SET WITH A START DOCKET before you move. Get them moving get them spread out and for christ sake get them to understand this is not a race.
* it a good indicator that off your mob are getting along at say 312k's in 3 hours then your making a good start to the overall journey. That may infact be your biggest leg distance wise.
* This should be a group of individuals. Each individual needs to be made responsible for their bit...AND there bit alone.
*Clive your the organiser it seems. Make that point above very very clear to each individual.
Then cull the dead wood.

We in here play a tough game and we cherish each and every success. We cherish each and every aborted ride too for any number of reasons.
Tap into your group and foster first and foremost the understanding that its ok to pull the pin. If your bike shits itself that ok too.
* its not ok for any rider ever to be left fealing like they have to go on For the F(^king group when that rider is in need to just pull the pin.
Dont root us over Clive. Dont stuff this up.
Your time to now go and think about a better plan to enter this distance game and grow as riders.

Yep Im a hash grumpy old bastard and thats why I like this game.
Its a game.

PS whys he glad to drive One way? It pricked my ears.

Clive Rand

Premier Member
Am I correct in understanding three is only three of you?
At this point in time it is starting to look a bit like 4 as another friend has asked to join in, the more the merrier to me right now, in saying that, some of our times are starting to create a problem as a whole group, so we may be split into 2 groups of 2 because of work commitments and alike, but we are still going to give it a go, just those of us up North are going to make our challenge heading South and have a leasurely trip back home and those from the South will be doing something similar we just have a party at each end, but that was going to happen anyway. as we are all in the same motorcycle assoc, anyway our sister in the South suggested it, and we are all keen to give it a go, I personally never heard of it until a few weeks ago, and one thing I have learned is forums can be a great source of information, so that is why I am here now, I just have to say I am not worried about harsh statements, hehehe, I am too distracted to get offended, and too lazy to hold a grudge. sometimes a harsh word of advice is a whole lot better than sitting in the middle of nowhere wondering why I never listened to what that person said. I think we have almost got a fair bit worked out now, I am going for a trip down South soon so I will have a look around on my way, I wish to see some friends in Melbourne soon, and Colac is not that far away so I can call in and say hi to our Southern party.

Clive Rand

Premier Member
I also forgot it seems our chase vehicle will not be able to make it after all so that has sort of solved any issues that may have arrisen from that. I just need to plot a route and see if we can make this happen.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Clive im very glad to read the content of your last post. Particularly with regards having a tough enough hide to take on board critique of your thinking. Its clear to that you have started a very steep learning curve and yaken smart steps tp take those lezsons on board. Well done with that stage in the game.
Can you post up a Google map of each of the current routes north and south. Perhaps others can help with some refinement and maybe reveal some plan options as assistance.
Cheers

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Ron has a nice rout south there.
You could use that but hit tamworth out to werris creek coolah dubbo and run the newell to toccumwall bendigo ballarat and then colac.
Plenty of options for you to pull on a 1600 without sydney...and stopover options to go try your hand at a follow up big enouvh day for perhaps bagging a bb25 without undue performance pressure.
And no fuel stop hassles in that route realy.
5ltr gerry for a just up your sleeve security.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Looks good Clive. Your planning far surpasses my first certified ride. I had my directions written down on a post-it note; and it was not because technology didn't exist. I just try to keep it simple. As long as everyone remains safe - the beer at the end makes it all worth it.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
In the first leg, that's a nice ride from Grafton to Armidale. In daylight would be best.

Sydney isn't that bad...after dark. The traffic flow on the M7 is usually ok. It's just the bit at the northern end (Pennant Hills) ...I think that's all 80km/hr still.

The second leg, I'd suggest Forbes Grenfell Young Cootamundra Gundagai to get you back on the Hume. Little bit shorter, but you don't need any extra for the BB2500 after the longer first leg. All good roads.
https://goo.gl/maps/SFpodgkorTx

I usually carry a list of Fuel stops with distance and target schedule in a tank bag for reference while riding.

tj189

Premier Member
One of the routes I was thinking of taking is this one, I am in Rockhampton, and heading South, this was going to be my first challenge since we have decided it is parobably better to split into 2 groups. https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/0
There is a Caltex servo on the bend at Grafton opposite Hungry Jacks that may be worthwhile as a refuel spot rather than the United one you have on the link, just phone and check if they are open 24Hrs or at least when you will be there.
Have you done the ride from Grafton down through Ebor before? If not, may I suggest using google maps in satellite view and zoom down as far as you can to check out the country and road through there, night will be slow with a number of hairpin bends, day will more than likely be slow as well Overall Average speed will likely drop a fair bit.

I agree with Ron about the run through Sydney. Roadworks between Grafton and Coffs Harbour and also after Kempsey. More roadworks again further up between Ballina and Grafton, lots of 80Kph zones. Having said that there are a number of new parts of the Highway that have been opened up recently.

Gatey's point above is good advice "Simplify it"

Clive Rand

Premier Member
I am considering leaving here around 19:00hrs, My theory being the body wants to sleep during the night, so if I get the journey started at the early part of the night I can ride safely through the night before I get tired, then as the ride gets well under way I should be well and truly past the half way mark by the middle of the day and just about finished the first challenge before it actually gets dark again. Sounds good in theory anyway. I used the servo in Grafton as last time I went through there it was one I used on my way to Canberra I can't remember if it was 24 hrs though, but good to know that there is one there somewhere, I have been using the google maps to try and tell me if they are open 24 hrs at each of the stops.

I am considering leaving here around 19:00hrs, My theory being the body wants to sleep during the night, so if I get the journey started at the early part of the night I can ride safely through the night before I get tired, then as the ride gets well under way I should be well and truly past the half way mark by the middle of the day and just about finished the first challenge before it actually gets dark again. Sounds good in theory anyway. I used the servo in Grafton as last time I went through there it was one I used on my way to Canberra I can't remember if it was 24 hrs though, but good to know that there is one there somewhere, I have been using the google maps to try and tell me if they are open 24 hrs at each of the stops.
I agree sometimes a later start is better than a 0300AM start for sleep - I don't think I could wait around all day until 1900 unless it was a work day. :)

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Fact of the matter is, unless there is a truly compelling need, messing with the body clock is a bad, bad, bad thing to do - especially if this is a one-off change, just to do a ride.

Me? I'm an early person, so if I'm up only a couple hours earlier, my ride is starting at 2am, 3am, 4am... Hell, I'm wide-awake by 4am, no sense wasting the time, so using it is the best.

Nineteen hours later, the ride is done, and it's 9pm. Right about bedtime. In fact, I just did a ride that my start time was 0315 and my ending time was 2100. I was at home by 2115, showed and in bed by 2200 - only an hour or so beyond my typical bedtime.

Skidoo

Premier Member
I am considering leaving here around 19:00hrs . . .
OK, don't take offence Clive but:

1. IMHO I believe for a 'newbie'; this is a dangerous start time unless you're only going to ride for a few hours before having a kip
2. You have already been up since probably 07:00am (or earlier) so your half worn out before you have started. If your like me you've probably cut the lawn (or weeds in my case) servicing the air conditioner etc
3. Your body is starting to wind down for the day, you have already lost the edge
4. If you leave early in the morning (heaps of info on it in the forums) you have already had several hours sleep and are both mentally and physically ready.

Once you have a few, 'longer' rides under your belt and are 'ride fit', you'll commence a 1600 or almost anytime of the day with minimal to no planning even when your already on a 'latte' ride. Clive itsabout conditioning your body and more importantly knowing what is happening to it and understanding FATIGUE.

We want you to enjoy the ride, savour the moment even if unsuccessful, I'd like a $ for the ones I didn't complete for one reason or another. An unsuccessful ride is not a failure!

Clive Rand

Premier Member
It will take a lot more than that to offend me, and to be honest I am not afraid of failure, it has been a while since I did some long distance travelling against the clock, I agree that conditioning is a key factor in a lot of things. As for my body clock, I feel that has already been disturbed. I have been on a bit of a strange lifestyle to some, I have been a permanent night shift for quite a few years, before that I drove interstate for a few years, this ended up sending my sleep patterns all over the place. Now I am semi retired it seems my sleep has become even more erattic. So I am still trying to get it back to a more normal pattern, hehe but then I ask myself what actually is a normal pattern. My partner in crime so to speak is a rotating shift worker, so his clock can be a little messed up at times as well. Anyway we all seek a little adventure from time to time, and this looks like it could be a good laugh, time to test my metal so to speak. We still travel from one end of the country to the other, but putting a time limit may just make it that little more challenging.