Tank Bag Checklist

DrNeo

Premier Member
As I've been gearing up for my 48 in 10 ride (32 days away!), I have pursuing old IBR pictures for different ideas. I have come across many individuals using a checklist in their tank bag during their gas stops/bonus locations. I have come up with my own list, but I'd love to see what everyone else has...

My list:
- Check receipt - good city/time?
- File receipt with odometer
- Charge devices
- Check in
- Sunscreen/chapstick
- TCLOCS
- Temp management (add or subtract clothing)
- Fill H20
- Eat

Garry in AZ

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Dr., One thing I'd strongly suggest is a state check-off list. This will allow you to check off each state after you have your documentation stored away. There is nothing worse than being 6 or 7 days into the ride and awaking from a bad dream where you can't remember if you "got" Rhode Island or Delaware. Then you go digging through your receipts in a panic, usually in the middle of the night, instead of getting solid sleep. When I did my 48-Plus I made a list of the states in the order I was planning on visiting them. It was part of my routine to cross each state off with a bright green marker as they were done. I never had a nightmare about missing any states. I did have other nightmares on the trip, but that wasn't one of them.

Garry

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I've read where sticky-notes were also done in a similar fashion; get the receipt, then take sticky-note and put with receipt.

DrNeo

Premier Member
Thanks Garry and kwthom! I was originally thinking of using a baseball card holder sleeve for each state receipt, but sticky notes (in order) will be faster. I have created a checklist of each stop and mileage between, noting when I need extra gas. In total, I've spent over 7 hours on this route - I don't know if that's slow or thorough!

Paul Knight

Premier Member
Sorry for the large image but this is what I used to store my receipts from Amazon. $5.99 from Amazon

It fit nicely in my tank bag.

I printed a sticker for each gas stop and I take a picture of each receipt before it goes in it's slot

I also used this roll chart holder and printed each stop and "rolled" thru each location.

This way if as a matter of last resort my GPS failed or other similar unforseen problem I would have all my stops easily visible as a backup $25 online

DrNeo

Premier Member
Thanks! I think I'll steal all your ideas! Garry - I hope your nightmares were of finishing with too much time to spare...
~Thom

DrNeo

Premier Member
Mike L from the LDRiders list came up with this checklist and let me repost it here:

"Your stop routine (whether for a bonus or a cert ride) needs to be
practiced to the point that it all becomes second nature. I follow my
stop routine ALL the time, even when flower sniffing off the clock. I'd
tell you that the laminated checklist to keep on the bike should just be
the items that are ride killers. It needs to be short enough that you
don't overlook things once you become fatigued.

My list is:

Flag
Receipt
Latches
Wallet
Notes

This list has evolved with the following rationale:

Flag (pretty obvious)
Receipt (checked and stowed properly)
Latches (I've ridden off too many times with open lids and unsecured
zippers. Timing goes to hell when you are looking for some piece of
paper on the side of the road or notice 30 miles down the road that
your pannier lid is open and your $100 heated gloves are gone)
Wallet (lost it once and killed a rally I was poised to do well in)
Notes (I keep a grease pencil and when I find I need to do something
at a stop, like clean my glasses or check something on the bike, I
write it down. Even having this final check to read my notes I
frequently forget to do so)"

Howard Entman

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
I take a cell phone picture of every receipt at the gas station before I file the receipt in my tank bag. In that way, if something happens to the paper, I still have the required evidence that I was in that state. This technique also works for any ride that needs documentation.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
After having a catastrophic failure on my way out to Butt Lite 7 in 2014 where my rear sprocket came off my rear wheel destroying both I came up with a pre-ride checklist I go through each morning. I also marked critical bolts (the ones that could kill me) with bolt paint so I can tell if they have moved.

My checklist:
Spot on
Start at the right rear of the bike and check each bolt (sprocket, right pinch bolts, right caliper and rotor, left caliper and rotor, front axle, left pinch bolts, rear caliper and rotor, rear axle
Check oil
Check tire pressure
Spot tracking on and hit check in button (so wife knows I am moving)

I will also do a walk around as I approach the bike for anything obvious hanging off, missing, etc.

There may be a few things missing but you get the idea

Until this spring I have never had an issue with leaving my flag. However I likely will come up with a bonus checklist for storing my flag/camera/receipts and place on my windshield within easy view