The Atomic 1000: a SaddleSore to history

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Group ride from Phoenix? I would add some places up north of ABQ that have to do with this and lots of research applied today in many engineering fields.
There wouldn't be a lot of time to spare. When we got to the site we only saw the main blast area and did not take the bus to the McDonald House, and we did not spend any time looking at all the various exhibits at the blast site. We did stop for breakfast and dinner but it was still a 21 hour ride. It would be difficult to see everything at the Atomic site AND go to other sites as well and still make the time cut-off if we did an out and back ride. If we do a one way 1000 to the site and see the other places on Sunday, that's a different story.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
We'll need to see what the official rules are going to be to document this going forward before we do any further planning. If we do an overnight ride to finish there in the morning, I doubt that Brenda will be able to deal with that so I'll have to skip it or go on it without her. She also wouldn't be able to handle the walking around at the other locations the following day.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
... When we got to the site we only saw the main blast area and did not take the bus to the McDonald House, and we did not spend any time looking at all the various exhibits at the blast site...
If one has an interest in this site then doing those is a must do with the site being open only twice a year. Around the perimeter of the fence are photographs from the time period which are certainly worth taking a look at. Also, there was a bar in town where we stopped to grab a bit to eat, cannot recall the name at the moment. However it was there and it is likely that some of the people from the site ate there at some point. I'm a history nerd when it comes to stuff like that

This is that same footing today (well in 2015)