The No Ride Rally

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
When you say screen shot can it be a snip and paste? Same with the photo? into the body of the email or does it have to be a full screen shot and as an attachment?
Thanks

IT challenged.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
So, almost xxx-proof.

attachment/snip and paste are two different descriptions for the same action. No it doesn't need to be a full screen shot, just the relevant bit will do.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Do they both result in an email that looks like my "received" example? Feel free to send tests now

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Entries are still open
Join riders from the USA and Europe not riding at Easter.
Retired from riding, no longer have a bike, no longer wish to get cold, wet and miserable.

This rally is for you.
Ride it from the comfort of your favourite chair.

#StayAtHome #SaveLives

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
What details do you need to submit to claim the sleep bonus?

Or how do you claim it?

Not in the rules....

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I think you'll find that everything that needs to be in the rules is in fact in the rules.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
The No Ride Rally was a first for us, rally team and entrants alike. Did it go exactly according to the first imagined vision? No of course not!

It started with a simple idea: let's hold a rally just like a normal one but without the actual riding part. Would anyone, at all, even want to not ride such a rally? Well from a final field of 40 (comparable with the last few real rallies) 32 actually started and 21 finished. We thought we might get non-IBAers involved but apparently not. We thought we'd attract competitive rallyists and we did get some of them.

What went wrong? just like in a real rally almost everything went wrong. We underestimated the potential claims (overestimated our processing capacity); we needed multiple explanations before, most but not all, entrants understood what they were doing; We made classic errors with scoring/publishing; We discovered and fixed IT weaknesses; We made value judgements some of which got overturned on appeal.

What went right? Most things. The basic idea was sound, bordering on genius. The rally book covered everything it needed to apart from making it blindingly obvious that the rally would be conducted in real time. The bonuses covered a fair chunk of the country, this being especially useful to the overseas competitors. We attracted complaints at a similar rate to those experienced in real rallies. Just about all the entrants had grounds to whinge about something: too challenging, not challenging enough, too boring, too exciting, I didn't understand, I didn't think you'd see it that way, I disagree with this penalty. Most participants managed to avoid spending the weekend looking out the window wishing they could ride their bikes.

A virtual rally is and should be just like a real rally but without the riding. It includes all the important characteristics of a rally apart from riding: route planning, control of mistakes, persistence. Future virtual rallies need to make route planning much more challenging with multiple "good" routes, red herring routes, sucker bonuses, etc. The rally team needs to include a real-time intervention operator who can tweak buttons like "A9 impassable Perth-Aviemore".

Virtual rallies don't appeal to everyone. Some just don't like the tech involved, some just wanna ride their bikes come hell or high water. Nothing will ever please all the people all the time. This was the first one, I doubt it'll be the last.

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Bob and Rally Team thanks for organising this Virtual Rally.

Some years ago I took part in 2 virtual rallies, run by an IBA member, they were excellent training for future rallies and included different challenges and combinations of bonuses. As a rookie at that time I believe they aided my planing abilities. It took some time for the entrants rallies to be scored due to the complexities of the bonuses. I appreciate that this will be the case in most rallies.

However, I am still waiting for my result. Whether that be DNF or low score.

Last edited: