Thoughts on route for first SS1k?

Hi - looking to complete my first IBA ride. Thinking of doing it June 20 summer solstice. I live near Sacramento. My thought is to ride to south Grapevine, Ca via I-5, get gas and turnaround and head north on I-5 to Lakehead-Lakeshore, Ca, then turn around and south on I-5 and head home. Google maps shows this route to be 1,002 miles. I will head a little past Lakehead to add some more miles to get that 3% mileage cushion. I ride a 2012 GW with a RDL seat and other LD farkles.

Also, since my home is not to far off my route as I head north I thought about stopping at home and having a light meal. Good or bad idea?

Thoughts on my planned route?
Thank you!
Wolff

CB650F

Premier Member
1002 miles is definitely not enough cushion. The two rides I have so far have a 45 and 38 mile cushion. 3% extra is the minimum I'd consider.

Try to use Spotwalla. If you don't, you could lose out on some mileage if there's a shorter route to the gas station in Grapevine or Lakeshore than I-5. Interstates are fast, but not always the shortest distance. If the reviewers can't figure out which route you took, they'll likely assume you took the shortest one. (No, I don't have some inside knowledge about assumptions they make, but without a tracker, they might assume the shortest route.)

Having a light meal at home might be just the break you need! It also might turn into a 3 hour break that kills your desire to keep riding! You know, get back home, sit in a nice comfy chair, get a sammich or whatever, take a minute to relax, etc. I can honestly see that being either a great place to stop, or a terrible one depending on how you do it. You know yourself better than I know you, so that's something you'll have to figure out for yourself.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I will head a little past Lakehead to add some more miles to get that 3% mileage cushion. I ride a 2012 GW with a RDL seat and other LD farkles.
Go ahead and finish your planning now; don't try to figure that out after 12+ hours, and your in your first LD fatigue battle.

Knowing that your turn-around is Dunsmuir (for example) makes it a no-brainer, and your distance would be ~1055 miles.

...and, your first SS1000 is also an in-state SS1000.

I've done a couple of routes that have taken me right past the exit toward home; I've only taken advantage of it one time. I picked up my wife and her gear to finish my 50cc ride in San Diego a few hours later.

All good information. Thanks for the responses. I will adjust my route to Dunsmuir and not stop by the house.

I have a Garmin Inreach that I always carry with me in my riding jacket - so I will activate the tracking function for this device.

Above is great info. My first one at age 59 was not well planned. I knew my turn around point but no idea where I would obtain fuel. I had food and drink but not much planning.

I learned my lesson, it was almost 23 hours. No reason it would take that long except for lack of planning especially from Dallas to Sierra Blanca and back, 1150 miles. Part of the ride the speed limits are 80mph. I made the run two more times with planning but no hurry and it was 18 hours or less and it was almost relaxing.

Sometimes things go well without much planning. I was riding home from East Glacier, MT. I knew I would my route would be a SS1000 to Denver. I missed each exit for a hotel, no reservations. I ended up somewhere south of Denver. I knew I had the SS1000 at about 1200 miles.

I should have known exactly how far it was to home as I had done the ride before. I slept late then I had a conversation with a fellow in front of the hotel. I was in no hurry.

When I hit the Texas line I got hooked up with some serious Texican drivers (= 20 over the limit). Well, about 25 miles from home I realized I was on a SS2000 Gold pace by the route I took. I needed 40 miles more than planned to make it. WOW, a SS2000 Gold without planning, I felt great. However, I only had about 20 minutes left on the clock.

It was early in the afternoon so I could have turned it into a SS2000. I was so close to home, my Lazy Boy was calling me, as was a cold beer.

If I would have been 100 miles from home I would have turned it into a SS2000. I already had a couple so the Lazy Boy won and I settled for one of the longest BB1500s on record. The stopping at home might be a problem. Those Lazy Boys are strong willed.

If I would have realized when I got up that morning that a SS2000 Gold was possible I could have made some quick planning and made it happen. Planning is the secret. When I know I am going to make a certified ride I verify fuel stops. I know the distance I can safely travel on a full tank, full to the top, even when fighting a wind.

I miss estimated once in my early days before I had an auxiliary tank. When I stopped at my pre planned fuel stop I put 4.9 gallons in a 4.8 gallon tank. I am glad I filled the tank to the very top earlier.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi - looking to complete my first IBA ride. Thinking of doing it June 20 summer solstice. I live near Sacramento. My thought is to ride to south Grapevine, Ca via I-5, get gas and turnaround and head north on I-5 to Lakehead-Lakeshore, Ca, then turn around and south on I-5 and head home. Google maps shows this route to be 1,002 miles. I will head a little past Lakehead to add some more miles to get that 3% mileage cushion. I ride a 2012 GW with a RDL seat and other LD farkles.

Also, since my home is not to far off my route as I head north I thought about stopping at home and having a light meal. Good or bad idea?

Thoughts on my planned route?
Thank you!
Wolff
You need a receipt at your turn around points. If you stop for more than 20-30 minutes, you need a receipt documenting that stop. It's very easy to get comfortable at home and spend more time than you plan to on the meal stop. Most people do their first SS1K in around 18 hours on a mostly interstate route. You have plenty of time, but it helps to stay focused on the ride.

I would suggest you NOT go father North, as you're getting into the mountains and have few fuel/receipt options. Where is your receipt location on the North end?

I used to live in Portland and lived in SoCal for a few years. The I-5 is well known to me, though it's been a few years now. I generally considered Mountain Gate to be the last reliable gas until the Chevron at Dunsmuir. I know of places in between, but not always reliable hours or 24 Hrs. The Lakehead station, for example, is only open until 10 pm, but I don't know if they have 24 hour pumps with good receipts there. You can try calling them to find out. Or checking it out in person before you do the SS1K.

I'd consider a more reliable option to be Mountain Gate Shell Station to Santa Clarita Arco. Both ends have back up gas stations and ATM options. This gives you about 40 miles of buffer, which on this route would be fine. Not many shorter options!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
No need for a receipt (e.g. IBMotel), just to note it in your log sheet. Two time/geo tagged odo photos is also a good idea...
Thank you for the correction. That is true, but I always documented my stops with a receipt, as it is helpful in making it easier for the verification team to follow your route and account for your time.

In order for the verification team to account for your time, a log entry must be made at each stop longer than 30 minutes (for example you decide to stop at a roadside rest stop for a nap or get a motel room during the ride). Each entry for extended stops must include the approximate length of the stop or the start time and ending time. Meals that take longer than 30 minutes are considered rest stops - where possible please try and obtain a restaurant receipt. Obviously, many types of stops, for example a stop in a rest area, will not generate any kind of receipt - this is acceptable, but please account for the time in your log.

I do the log, photo all receipts with odometer, number and scan my receipts with my log, and send in all with a route map with log stops numbered.
I thought that is what they were wanting for verification purposes.

Thank you for all the replies.

Based on the above, eventhough, I know I 5 very well I did decide to route plan my fuel stops. Knowing each of my fuel stops does give me some peace of mind.

I went to Cycle Gear and got a smallish 6l tank bag to help with snacks etc. I plan to bring healthy food to eat. I also plan to get up at 4am have my usual breakfast of slow cooked (the night before) hot ceral and then hit the road. Hot ceral holds me well for many hours. I do plan to submit my receipts and other docs electronically. I also have a 3L camelback that works well for hydrating while riding.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Healthy snacks are good. But take some sugar treats too. Sometimes you need a boost. It's important to avoid peaks and valleys in your body. I personally like beef sticks and something like lemon heads. I cut the beef sticks into smaller pieces and keep them in a one cup tupperware like container that I can open with gloves on.

Unnecessary for a SS1K, but Arbys roast beef and McDonalds cheeseburgers taste the same fresh as they do 8-12 hours later. ;) I used to buy 5 of the no longer available RB Juniors at Arbys and stick 4 in the tank bag for later, eating on the fly when I got hungry. I had an 11L tank bag then.

Yes I plan to take some lemon heads, some jerky, apples, nuts all easily grabable :D from the tank bag. When I travel, bike or cage, I do like to munch as I go.

Any time, any where. I had to take to the bushes while in Alaska. Almost didn't make it. When I finished I noticed bear scat right next to mine. Mine might have been bigger. LOL

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Lol, man you guys eat a lot, I do the gator aide for hydration and trail mix bars once in awhile to minimize having to poop. Pooping takes time, but I do carry a roll of TP with me because you never know when it might hit especially when you get older.
TP is just a standard tank bag item. :) The burgers were during rallies more than a SS type ride. Works well for any BBG pace rides.