Tigard, Oregon to Missoula, Montana and back for an SS1K

Flappy

Premier Member
Part one

So I've been done a couple of days now and have had some time to digest it all and figured I'd better get off my one spot and get this typed up before senility sets in.

To begin with, I've always been an endurance freak. Le Mans, Baja, ISDT, Dakar, you name it. So when I found out about the IBA and the SS1K I thought "ah hah, here's something I can actually DO" what with my 60+ hour work weeks here at the Vent home I run with my Wife.
So after working 4- 12s last week I got up at 10:30 at night to go hang my Happy Trails SU rack and Panniers and get my long-suffering Tiger 800 XCx ready for her ordeal. She was sitting right at 22,700ish miles and so almost due for her annual/12K service anyways and as I had just had a fresh rear tire installed I felt like the time was ripe.

By 0230 I've got cans fitted, clickers adjusted, chain lubed and bike packed. I'm running light for having full panniers fitted, only oil, chain lube, spoons, pump and tube with my Olympia Mesh gear for Missoula which is projected to go into the low 90's. Tail pack fitted instead of my usual Rotopax as we want to document our stops on a regular basis and my Triumph branded tank bag with rider comforts complete the ensemble. At about 02:45 I'm off up the street to the 76 station on Greenberg Rd. That will mark the start of my ride. It is still quite dark but the sky is just starting to blush hinting at the dawn which is still some hours away. Although I probably will have nothing but trucks, cops and drunks for company out there for the next few hours I am surprisingly relaxed and anxious to begin. Take a photo, get a receipt and off we go.

It's 0253 in the AM of June 27th, 2017.
I'm on my way.

At first I'm actually kind of bored because I-5 headed north into Portland is pretty calm at 3 in the morning but I needn't have worried as all too soon I was fighting massive gusts of wind and truck/trailer combos on I-84 headed east to Hermiston where we would be going north on 95-N to Spokane, Wa. and thence out I-90 to Missoula.
First stop was at Love's/Carl's Jr. in Boardman, Oregon. WAY too much time wasted here, which begins to set a trend for the earlier part of the ride.
I really can't comment on the overall experience as I'm sure I would probably earn a ban for it. Avoid if possible. Almost 45 minutes were lost here.

As we slowly wend our way north I notice the terrain isn't too different from the corresponding areas in Eastern Oregon with slow rolling hills, occasional rocks and Ponderosa Pine dominating the landscape. At about 07:30 we make a rest stop at Othello, Wa. and get off to stretch the legs and such.
By now it's about 72-73 degrees and just really pleasant riding so we continue on until Ritzville where we stop at Love's for some more fuel at about 09:00.
Back on the bike and we bang our way through Spokane traffic and out towards Coeur d'Alene. Traffic is congested but not bad, on the other hand my Scorpion Yukon jacket and Monarch Pass trousers are really beginning to heat me up with ambient temperatures approaching the 80s. Continuing out past Coeur d'Alene a ways we come to the North Idaho Centennial Trail rest area where I decide to take a break to eat, stretch and hydrate a bit. It is 10:15 in the AM Pacific local time.

About 10:45 or so we are off. The next stop I really regret not getting any pictures other than my GoPro on the return trip was Wallace, Idaho.

A short while of pleasant sweepers later and we're at Lookout Pass, Montana.
Now we're talking! As I take the exit I notice a gravel road proceeding away from the Lodge which looks like a tourist trap to me with a bunch of motor homes parked out front. Since I am first and foremost a dual sport rider I take the gravel, although I am mindful that I am on a schedule and cannot waste time.

Last edited:

Flappy

Premier Member
Part two

Now we have to factor in the hour we gained as we crossed the date line and it is 14:50 by the time I am fueling in Missoula. A quick stop at the Triumph dealer across the street for some more Castrol and a can of chain lube and we stop at Mickey D's for a couple of grease burgers and it's 15:30 by the time we are getting turned back.

By 17:00 I've fought my way through several 35mph construction zones and we are back at Lookout Pass for some dual sport shenanigans and bike maintenance. After I go up the gravel for a few miles to get a lay of the land for the future I return back to where some road equipment is staged where I pull off my jacket, my shirt and my panniers in that order. Then I put the bike up on the center stand for some much needed chain lube and some oil to replace the bit I've consumed by hammering away at freeway speeds.

17:40 sees us at Kellog, Idaho and another delay due to construction.

18:00 sees us at Old Mission State Park. It had closed an hour prior so I was only able to get shots from the road outside. After I got back I found out it is the oldest building in Idaho dating to 1853 when it was constructed by the Native peoples of the area under the supervision of a Catholic Priest.

A pretty impressive sight and I for sure will try to return when it is open.

19:20 and we are at Sprague Lake rest area in Washington and it is starting to finally cool off. Hydrate, eat a snack and back on the bike to Ritzville,Wa. Where we fill at the Chevron due to filling at the other station earlier. This one has a McDonald's grafted on but I choose a cheese stick from their cold case instead. That and a one liter of Diet Dew (I'm diabetic) and I'm off.

Flappy

Premier Member
Part three

Not too appetizing. But the Mt.Dew and the cheese stick are a God send and since it is diet the Mt. Dew will do double duty as hydration for me and lubricant for all the bugs I am sure to be encountering out here in the rolling hills of Eastern Washington in the dusk.

Now it is time for some of the most challenging riding I have ever done as a motorcyclist. After a stop in Boardman, Oregon for fuel it is a straight shot down I-84 through massive headwinds, sweeping curves, triple trailers and pitch black in the middle of the damned night in a desperate attempt to make it back before time runs out. There ARE alternate routes to using I-84 for its' entirety but none that will have me back for sure before my 02:53 end time. I don't mind stating right here that I almost said "screw it" on several occasions that night as between being almost sent into tank-slappers by the wind gusts and body slammed sideways by the turbulence off the trucks as I passed I was terrified for a good deal of it. A last stop in Hood River at 23:42 sees me just head down and gritting it out for the last few miles into Troutdale where the winds begin to slack off. A few more minutes into the Metro traffic which is midnight light sees me to I-5 south to 217 and then the last couple of miles to the Greenberg 76. It is forty four minutes past Midnight of the 28th of June and I have just finished my very first SaddleSore 1000.

The last photo was taken in my driveway the next day but only would be off by the not quite mile that the station is from my house. At the point I finished I was actually quite amazed that I wasn't more sore or tired, obviously all the banging around dual-sporting that I do has gotten me better prepared than I thought I was. There were zingers of course, there always are. That's how we learn and what I choose to think of as the "adventure" component which to me just adds the spice at the end of the day.
I unfortunately lost all my riding associates over the years except my 17 rear old Son but as he IS so young I tend to limit how much street time he has right now.

Consequently I ran this solo as I do all of my rides generally, but I think this might be a good group ride within limits. Those limits being time spent fueling and other stopped activities. Obviously the more guys the less chance of getting away quickly, cleanly and in possession of proper receipts at each stop and the more chances of a snag.

But all of that is in the many helpful pieces of advice here on the forum and in the FAQ that I used to help get me, my bike and my plan in order. It wasn't as hard as I thought in some ways and was harder in others but I never had any fear that I wouldn't be able to complete it. Unless maybe in Montana at 5 in the afternoon in 90 degree heat stuck in a construction zone!

Flappy

Premier Member
And now I notice that none of the photos saved inline from notepad. I'll edit this later but it's like my third attempt and I'm stuck on this iPad and can't see all the funky controls on the page.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Flappy - congratulations on your ride. Like so many "first's" in life - you will never forget this experience and your first certified Iron Butt Saddlesore is likely to lead to several more.

BMWguy

IBA Member
Flappy - congratulations on your ride. Like so many "first's" in life - you will never forget this experience and your first certified Iron Butt Saddlesore is likely to lead to several more.
I agree with Mr. Scott.
This IBA thing becomes addictive. It seems you're always thinking about the next one you'd like to accomplish.

Congratulations on a safe and memorable experience!

IBA ZX-9R

Hoping for the updated pictures. This forum links to pictures already posted and hosted on the Internet by some other company, like Imgur.

Liked reading your story, because it relates somewhat closely to mine. I too planned for an early AM start, timed around getting into deer country after dawn, not before.

Don't you wish sometimes that there were 48 hours in a day so you could enjoy those gravel road excursions more, instead of being rushed by the clock? I know I did. The fun part being, that I went back over part of my SS1000 route a month later with friends, this time at a leisurely pace. We stopped and found new hot spots. Plus I got time to sit and stare out at the Pacific Ocean.

Looking forward to this thread's picture update.