Time Zone question

spanner

I understand the rules that the finishing time is that of the LOCAL time.

My dyslexic brain ( yes I do have Dyslexia) is trying to figure out...... leaving Qld and going to NT do I gain an extra half hour or do I lose a half hour?

Cheers

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Gain or lose is a matter of perspective Spanner. As an example, currently in QLD it is 12:35pm, Northern Territory 12:05pm, South Australia 12:05pm if that helps.

Personally, if I'm riding 'on the clock' and crossing timezones I do all of my planning and then just use the bike clock - NEVER a GPS. If your plan is for a 36 hour ride starting at say 04:00am in QLD, you have until 16:00pm QLD time the following day to finish. A clock on the wall in NT would read 15:30pm at that instant.

Regardless of timezones, you only have 24 hours to complete your planned SS1600K ride to Renmark. If you arrive in Renmark (SA), having started in Alice Springs (NT), you won't cross any time zones.

spanner

"Regardless of timezones, you only have 24 hours to complete your planned SS1600K ride to Renmark. If you arrive in Renmark (SA), having started in Alice Springs (NT), you won't cross any time zones."

Cheers OX.

I'm doing an SS2000MILE from Townsville Qld so will cross that time zone from QLD to NT.

I want to do it in the 48 hours allocated but just want to make sure I don't stuff up my timings for each stop so I know how I am traveling.

:)

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Just use your watch or your bike clock. Just one of them. Plan and check your progress at fuel stops on that clock only.

Ignore times on any dockets other than the start and finish dockets. So that means all of the interim dockets once on the run. Write the bike clock time in your log and out of interest only, check that the time on the docket is roughly the time your bike thinks it is. If the times agree, good. If the docket time is wrong, ignore it, it is not important. Only the date is important on those dockets.

48 hours is 48 hours and it matters not a bit what the timezone is, unless you are aiming to hit a shop or servo that is going to close around the time you are due, so you miss out on getting any docket.

If you leave QLD at say 04:00am QLD (bike) time, just be finished your ride by 04:00am QLD (bike) time 2 days later. A docket in NT showing any time later than 03:30am 2 days later means you are DNF.

Good luck with that QLD to NT warm-up SS2000M. If it makes you more comfortable, change your bike clock before starting the SS1600K in Alice and have a great run down the middle and beyond to Renmark.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Its a good question Spanner and its made more than a few heads itchy over the years.
As Ox has said. Use just the one clock and run that time window. I use a count down timer/ stop watch. Set it at the time window required and just click start asap after the docket hits my hand.
Should be good traveling.

kwaka

Premier Member
Time zones are just another challenge and/or distraction that we need to manage/get our heads around.

As mentioned.
Using a time piece that doesn't change time on the fly, I.E when changing time zones, is a must for stress less attempts. To which time zone that time piece is set to is a personal choice. Some rides I'll set my bike clock to the start TZ, other rides it'll be the end TZ.

The crux simply is, when that start docket is handed to you, your on-the-clock and the distance for the ride attempt must be completed within the allotted time frame irrespective of time zones and we plan accordingly.

Due to time differences whether one perceives gaining or losing time the equation still remains, distance over time.