Tips to ride in the rain?

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Having ridden across New Mexico in a downpour, I made it a mere 400 miles or so because I couldn't see much through my constantly rain fouled visor AND fogged visor.
Rain-fouled windshields and visors are not an inevitability. There are numerous products available that can sheet water off your windshield and keep fog from forming on your visor. For example, Rain-X for polycarbonate and Pinlok anti-fog inserts.

I've used various products over the years, along with various windshield heights. An effective combination can render rain-induced visibility problems virtually nonexistent.

Rain-fouled windshields and visors are not an inevitability. There are numerous products available that can sheet water off your windshield and keep fog from forming on your visor. For example, Rain-X for polycarbonate and Pinlok anti-fog inserts.

I've used various products over the years, along with various windshield heights. An effective combination can render rain-induced visibility problems virtually nonexistent.
True, there are products that you can use to help alleviate the issues from rain, I've used a lot of Rain-X on visors and windshields. It's also not a forcefield that keeps vision clear, it has limitations.

I'm not saying don't ride in the rain, I'm saying be aware of the risks and adjust your goals to match the conditions.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Agreed. I wasn't taking you to task at all. I was simply pointing out as a continuance in the discussion that there are product available that can assist a rider with visibility in the rain. I simply quoted your post as the jumping-off point to continue the topic, not to single you out for criticism.

I didn't think you were taking me to task, there are many ways to do this but inclement weather is always dicey at best. Assuming that the Op is new to long distance riding I tend to include cautions along with some means of mitigating complicating factors.

My scariest moments have almost always been in the rain for reasons ranging from water being thrown on me by other drivers maybe as they pass me, lack of visibility for me and the driver, (even when using Rain-X), hydroplaning, etc. In snow most drivers tend to slow down and will often give me a fair bit of room but rain, well, all bets are off. If you couple that with feeling rushed to make certain distance/time targets it can be a recipe for disaster for new riders and long experienced.

I guess, at the end of it all, we all our own systems and levels of risk acceptance. Just be aware that long distance riding can be exhausting physically and mentally. It takes a toll when the conditions are good and you've been at it for 20 hours. If you mix in inclement weather bad things can happen and, in that impaired state it can be difficult to make good decisions, especially if you're close to your goal.

Wow, I'm not known for counseling caution! It must be that maturity that creeps up as you approach 50!

Russ Black

Premier Member
Here is a great video on the affects of lean angle on tire traction. He covers both dry and wet road conditions. This and all the excellent advise given above should ease any adversion to riding in the rain.

The best advise I have been given about riding in the rain is to put your rain gear on long before you need it. If you think it might rain at any point during your journey, put your rain gear on before you start out. It is not safe to don it on the side of the road. I assess the weather each and every stop.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
The best advise I have been given about riding in the rain is to put your rain gear on long before you need it. If you think it might rain at any point during your journey, put your rain gear on before you start out. It is not safe to don it on the side of the road. I assess the weather each and every stop
Even better advice it to invest in gear that doubles as rain gear so there is no need to stop to don or doff the extra gear. :D

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Year round Oregon rider here. On the visibility topic, some sort of anti-fog feature like a pinlock shield is critical, and also make sure your faceshield seals properly. I had a Scorpion EXO-GT3000 helmet that was comfortable and seemed to have decent quality, but the faceshield leaked a bit in rain which was a huge PITA. You can squeegee water off the outside of your faceshield, but when water is dripping down the inside of the shield you're screwed.

Even if it seals properly, if you start fogging up you may try to crack open the faceshield... and then water runs down the inside. So find a helmet that resists fog AND seals well.

Plain shaving cream wiped on the inside of the face shield will cut the fog. RainX makes the windshield stay clear, and I've never had any huge problem with the face shield having poor visibility except for when it's just misting. RainX handles that pretty well, too. As others have mentioned, smoother = safer. Patience is your friend. If that jackwagon wants around you, give him the space and maybe even wave him around. I've gone to great lengths to move idiots to points further from me, and that goes double in bad weather.

As far as temperatures, everyone has their own comfort level. If it's 80F+, i absolutely love getting a bike shower. I wear a hoodie at a minimum on the bike to keep the sun off and make evaporation keep me cool. I carry a waterproof windbreaker in the bags for lower temps, but that's about all the rain gear I use. I've had complete sets before and find them hot and stifling. If I don't get wet from sweat, the suit leaks and I'm getting wet anyway. I do most of my distance riding in June and July, so temperatures are rarely a problem.

The advice I like to give (after riding since 1987) is to do what makes you comfortable. That's really the bottom line. Take bits and pieces from the advice given and develop your own methods. Experiment. Nothing better than an open road during a summer thunderstorm. You might (like me) find that you really enjoy riding in the rain.

Sportsterpaul

I’ll just add this from my perspective. Later in life I started riding more and covering more miles. When my two days “off” from work arrived I would be riding somewhere. If I woke to cloudy skies and/or rain it was a ride waiting to happen. All of the above advice is excellent but you won’t be comfortable riding in the rain until you- ride in the rain. Approaching a half million motorcycle miles I still often have an initial tensing starting out. Where I quickly shift modes, breath deep and relax. The more you rain ride the more comfortable you become, the more comfortable you become the more you continue riding. Take the opportunity to find your comfort level, and extend the ride. Be safe, be aware, be smooth. Enjoy.

Although I grew up and learned to ride in SoCal, for the last twenty-five years have lived in Florida commuting 132 miles round trip for 7 years (massive, 10 yard visibility freeway stopping rain) and Seattle (light almost content drizzle in winter). As many have mentioned your traction is still 80+% of dry road except for tar snakes, and painted areas so not much of a problem. Exposure (cold) and visibility, both yours and the cars is always my biggest concern. Have good rain gear (and put it on before you're wet!) and keep more safety space around you if at all possible.

Sportsterpaul

Another lesson I learned and gladly offer up. When I experienced rain seepage down the back of the shield it was frustrating. It wasn’t much but enough to be distracting and did have the possibility of raising safety concerns, what to do? Not having adjustments to the shield to close tighter on my full face helmet the only possibility was closing that minute gap between the shield and helmet. I walked around the garage for awhile, picking up items then setting them back down till something clicked. I had a lot of fishing gear, and many spools of fishline. Careful examination of the gasket and I found that the edge lifted off the helmet a small amount so I carefully placed a piece of line down behind the gasket and found that I now had a much better seal and eliminated that pasty water intrusion. Different poundage rated line is different diameter so you could experiment for the perfect fit if necessary. Hope this helps someone else. Keep it safe!