TO TAKE OR NOT TO TAKE...

John negus

Hi All, I promised in one of my early posts that I was thinking of listing medications that may be beneficial to use on a long ride and also medications that may seem to have benefit but actually don't. Being a pharmacist I will outline what I find useful for me on long rides.

ACHES AND PAINS..For general aches and pains Paracetamol (Panadol) is the first and safest choice. Panadol-Osteo is an eight hour relief tablet and lasts twice as long as normal Panadol. Next step up is Paracetamol plus Codeine (1-2 every four hours) and if you can handle anti-inflammatories Nurofen plus Codeine is also good. I take two Nurofen plus codeine on a when required basis for general aches,pain,headaches etc. CAUTION..If you are taking heart or blood pressure meds or have kidney problems check with your GP about taking any antinflammatory (Nurofen,Voltaren etc) and Codeine can make some people drowsy also.

CRAMPING..Any magnesium tablet or powder can assist in in easing or preventing cramping.( eg..Bioglan MagMin) I take Magmin every night regularly being a cyclist. If you suffer from severe cramping you can get Quinine tablets 300mg but this requires a trip to the GP. Obviously dehydration can also cause cramping and it is better to drink an electrolyte containing drink than plain water for rehydration as the electrolyte speeds up the uptake of fluid and helps cramping spasms better.(I use Hydralyte tablets which are like a Berocca) Start on the magnesium two to three days prior to start of the trip.

TRAVELERS DIARRHOEA..For simple Diarrhoea take GastroStop capsules as written on the packet and as much Hydraltye as you can stand. This should help with a simple gastro fairly rapidly. If you are getting severe stomach cramping you can also take Buscopan (two every 3-4 hours along with the above). Nausea or vomiting get Nausetil 5mg (One four hourly ..but it can cause drowsiness)..I carry Norfloxacin capsules as plan B for diarrhoea if the above is not effective as it probably means there may be infection present and would consider taking this if the above has not worked after 12 hours (Norfloxacin requires a script)

ALLERGY,BITES, ITCHY SKIN...Any of the non drowsy antihistamines (Telfast,Claratyne) are effective anti allergy preparations and also effective for hay fever etc. I take Telfast 180mg ..one daily if needed. For sore or itchy eyes Systane Ultra eye drops are good and you can use them as often as needed. I carry Optrex eye wash with me as its useful if you get dirt or anything actually in the eye (Comes in 150ml bottle with built in eye bath) or a couple of 10cc saline cartridges as an eyewash also. For cuts and stings or burns any first aid cream from the pharmacy is good (make sure it has a local anaesthetic in its ingredients..eg..Lignocaine,Benzocaine)

GENERAL...I take a B-Complex tablet daily with my MagMIn as B_Comples is your energy vitamin and worth taking regularly. Also if you are taking multiple meds for other conditions its worth getting a weeks round compartmentalised container from your pharmacy and prepack before your trip. It's amazing how many riders do not carry any first aid supplies with them. At the least carry some wide crepe bandages and dressings of various sizes. Being rescue trained I have a fairly exotic first aid kit that I carry every where so if you are riding with me you will be ok.

COLD AND FLU..Take pseudoephedrime cold preps with caution and probably only in an urgent situation. The Codral cold tablets and others can cause drowsiness and inhibit decision making which is not good on a motorcycle. If you have a cold before leaving ..don't go and if you get a cold on the ride take phenylephrine cold tablets in preference. Ask the pharmacist. For a chesty cough take Bisolvon tablets (two tablets three times a day) they are terrific and non drowsy.

STIMULANTS.. For long rides the reward/risk ratio is bad. They will stuff up your sleep debt and give you a false sense of alertness. If the US marines pilots don't use them I don't use them either. Test have shown that the marines felt more alert taking stimulants but this was not shown up in the tasks they were given to complete.

To quote Mark Stenberg..lawyer and fast motorcycle rider/tester...SUE ME..DON'T BE A WANKER..this info is for general use and if you require specifics..email me on [email protected] or talk to your GP or pharmacist.
I hope the above is of use to the IBR family.....cheers and yippee...Jn

Biggles

Premier Member
That's very handy, thanks John, I've made a copy.
Just one note- I've read very recently that Codeine is a very poor pain killer. Better to stick with the Paracetamol and Iboprofen combo, since they address pain in two different ways.

John negus

You are correct Biggles. Codeine is a good pain killer for occasional use BUT the more you take the more you need for the same effect. Paracetamol/ibuprofen combo is showing up just as effective in trials. Being old school I still I prefer my pain killers with Codeine..har har..jn

Johng

Premier Member
What a great write up John thanks mate. I think you discribed me in everyone of those situations

I will copy this

spanner

thanks very much .... was interesting to read the stimulants and the US marines experience. good to know. I still need my coffee in the morning to get my blood flow happening but after that I don't have one til the next morning.

John negus

I think everyone needs a coffee in the morning..but in the scheme if things coffee is at the bottom of the totem pole as regards to strength and even a few extra during the day is not all that bad..jn

Nico

Well-known Member. Moderator
Thanks John, very useful info.
For someone who has ongoing pain management needs, I feel I have a good regime and your information affirms that.
It took a few years to really sort out what works best, and the future is all about management and adjustments.
I'm sure many others will read this with interest too.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Thanks John. You have confirmed my skimpy understanding of said over the counter drugs.
I envy those partaking the caffeine, as my prescribed medications are trying to keep my blood pressure low, not raise it.