Toronto to Vancouver Camping Trip

igurv

Few of us are planning to ride from Toronto to Vancouver (round trip) - camping style.
Group of 6.. with no camping experience so Def safe camp grounds are preferred
Bikes... wing, ducati peak, street glide, vaquero
This will be our first ride about 14000 kms.

What do we start to gather?
Camping inventory - sleeping bag, hammock, light gas? Any suggestions?
How do we find safe Camping sites?
How does tire replacement work on long trips?
And so on....

Can someone guide me some reading material for how to prepare for long rides or jot down some tips?

Thanks

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That's a highly personalized question with a huge number of answers depending on your experience, or lack of, what type of camping you wish to do and other factors. You'll find better information on the ADVrider forum. Here is a motorcycle camping checklist you may find helpful. You can un-check or add items to the list, then print it out to help you organize. http://www.micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html There is a link at the top of that page for other checklists as well. The size of your group will also play a part in how useful answers are. If you just have 3 riders on 3 or less bikes, wild camping is more possible than if you have a larger group that will be noticed more easily.

Consider the following questions to answer for yourselves to help decide what gear you need:

Do you have experience camping or is this new to you?

Are you going to wild camp or camp in designated campgrounds? (this also helps you decide how much water to carry)

Are you going to cook at camp, or pack up and eat store or restaurant food? (cooking needs could be as simple as boiling water and utensils)

How long does your rear tire last? Depending on what you are riding and the tire you choose, you may not need to do a tire replacement. Many motorcycle rear tires will last over 16,000 kms.

Typically if you need a tire during a trip, you are at the mercy of what ever shops you can find close to you. You'll pay much more for the tire, and possibly more for the installation. Not to mention hoping they have something in stock in your size where ever you end up needing a tire. You might want to change your tire(s) before the trip to start with fresh rubber, even if your tires are not worn out when you want to start your trip.

I carry the tools required to remove my wheels myself in a parking lot. I have parked in the dealership lot off to the side or around the back, removed one or both wheels and carried them into the dealer or shop to have new tires installed. Then re-installed the wheels myself in the parking lot once the new tires are mounted. This saves me a lot of money and in many cases, is the difference between waiting all day or having my wheels back with new tires mounted in an hour or less. It takes up a service bay to wheel your motorcycle in and remove a wheel, instead of just work at the tire machine.

The Wing guys often just carry a blanket and lay the bike on it's side to remove the rear wheel. There are probably youtube videos for this.

If you haven't removed your own wheels yet, you will want to practice this before your trip and make sure you carry the tools you need to do the job, understand the hazards and write down any torque specs so you have an idea of how tight things should be.

CB650F

Premier Member
How do your tires look now? If you are likely to need new ones in the next 2,500 km, just change them now. Get a set of tires that is well known for longevity and you won't have to change them on the road unless they get damaged. The best way to handle tire replacements on the road is to not need one. If you are unlucky and will need to change them on the road, try to have a set of tires waiting for you at a powersports shop near where you are heading. Order them now so you can just ride in, get the new ones installed, and ride out. If you are really unlucky and have tire problems necessitating an unexpected replacement, get your wallet out and pay a nearby shop whatever they want for whatever tire they have that will get you back on the road. The earlier you can schedule things, the cheaper and easier it will be for you. Needing something right now makes it expensive.

Sadly, I don't have any motorcycle camping experience so I can't offer much. The little bit that I can offer is simple. A guy named Tim has YouTube channel Forty Times Around. Actually, it's FTA Adventures now, so formerly Forty Times Around. He has tons of videos about motorcycle camping. He discusses maintenance on the road, how and where to find campsites, gear selection tips and tricks, and so much more. He's honest and won't recommend items just because the manufacturer sent him a free one. It might be worth your time to check his channel out.

I think that's the second time I've mentioned that channel here recently. I'm not affiliated with him in any way. I just like his channel and how down to Earth he seems. I'm sure there are other similar channels you can find on YouTube.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I should also point out that the Iron Butt Association is not a motorcycle touring group. As such, our idea of comfy camping is a picnic table in a rest area. :) You might want to ask these questions to the Gold Wing Road Riders, HOG, or one of the other group more geared to touring and camping.

igurv

I should also point out that the Iron Butt Association is not a motorcycle touring group. As such, our idea of comfy camping is a picnic table in a rest area. :) You might want to ask these questions to the Gold Wing Road Riders, HOG, or one of the other group more geared to touring and camping.
Thanks Ira will do that.
I was hoping to gain some knowledge from experienced riders.
I will hop of other forum. Feel free to remove the thread or pause comments.

ibafran

ADVRider.com has a huge camping group.

Whatever you do, you have to write it up and post it here.
My only hint would be to tell you to give it a shot and feel no shame in holing up in a motel when the weather goes to hell.
Do not eat or have foodstuffs in your tent.

A Eureka tent can be had for under $200. The sleeping bag is not as important as the air mattress / sleeping pad. Wear long johns or sweats in the bag for warmth as needed. A watch cap makes for head warmth.

Test your equipment at home or a nearby week-ender noting how long it takes to set-up and pack down. A little practice goes a long way.

Splitting the cost of a nice dome tent and having somebody to help set-up and pack could be the answer.
fran

igurv

ADVRider.com has a huge camping group.

Whatever you do, you have to write it up and post it here.
My only hint would be to tell you to give it a shot and feel no shame in holing up in a motel when the weather goes to hell.
Do not eat or have foodstuffs in your tent.

A Eureka tent can be had for under $200. The sleeping bag is not as important as the air mattress / sleeping pad. Wear long johns or sweats in the bag for warmth as needed. A watch cap makes for head warmth.

Test your equipment at home or a nearby week-ender noting how long it takes to set-up and pack down. A little practice goes a long way.

Splitting the cost of a nice dome tent and having somebody to help set-up and pack could be the answer.
fran
Sure... if restrictions open up in Canada.. we will go and I will post my experience
Thanks

I'm not in a position to comment on motorcycle camping but just wanted to comment on the tire issue. Excellent point about replacing early and this really depends on your riding style and if you've had your bike long enough to know how you wear tires. Many in the HD forums complain about having to replace the rear tire in as little as 6,000 miles (they must do a lot of burn outs) while I am having my rear tire replaced this week at 20,000 miles (on that tire) and it could go another 2-3,000 before it gets to the wear markers with the same Dunlop tire. It all depends on how hard you are on the starts and stops, load, tire pressure, etc. Remember when loading up for a long trip you will use more rubber than solo riding with no extra gear.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm not in a position to comment on motorcycle camping but just wanted to comment on the tire issue. Excellent point about replacing early and this really depends on your riding style and if you've had your bike long enough to know how you wear tires. Many in the HD forums complain about having to replace the rear tire in as little as 6,000 miles (they must do a lot of burn outs) while I am having my rear tire replaced this week at 20,000 miles (on that tire) and it could go another 2-3,000 before it gets to the wear markers with the same Dunlop tire. It all depends on how hard you are on the starts and stops, load, tire pressure, etc. Remember when loading up for a long trip you will use more rubber than solo riding with no extra gear.
Which tire are you running?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Which tire are you running?
I'm not Sailronin, but I'd bet money he's talking about the Dunlop American Elite. The Michelin Commander 2 wears even longer, but doesn't have the dual compound construction of the American Elite.

The American Elite aren't available in 90/90-21 or 150/70-17. ;) But the Michelin Commander 2 is available in 90/90-21 & 160/70-17...

I'm running the OEM standard Dunlop (similar to Dunlop American Elites). It's a double compound with harder in the center and softer on the edges. They last very well and handle wet weather (sort of common in PNW) very well.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm not Sailronin, but I'd bet money he's talking about the Dunlop American Elite. The Michelin Commander 2 wears even longer, but doesn't have the dual compound construction of the American Elite.

The American Elite aren't available in 90/90-21 or 150/70-17. ;) But the Michelin Commander 2 is available in 90/90-21 & 160/70-17...
You read my mind. I have a set of commanders sitting in my cart. Was a tiny bit concerned with the 160 vs 150, shouldn't be an issue. But if there were and equal tire mileage wise in a 150 I'd go for that.

The commander III are supposed to be softer than the II but still great mileage.

AwDang

When I rode the Canada North - South Challenge in 2019. There were abundant provincial campgrounds west of Thunder Bay.
Adventure Power Products, a bit SE of Winnipeg replaced my rear tire in under 2hrs while I waited. I can’t recommend them enough, great, great service.