TOUR de FRANS ride report

Farkleit

Premier Member
And so, it came to pass that it was decided that on the 25th May 2017 Frans was embarking on an epic journey as he "Needed a Ride" This was to be my first multi day IBA length ride program. I felt a huge mix of anticipation and excitement with this monumental constant Fear that I would not make it past day 2.

I was quietly confident in the bike as I had taken time to fully prepare the bike, full service including remove rear drive shaft and all other major items I could think of. I manufactured myself an auxiliary Fuel tank and fitted it with the assistance of information from Ox-34 who was a wealth of knowledge.

Tuesday, I fitted a new set of PR4 GT tyres, rear at 50psi front at 46psi.

I set off Wednesday around lunchtime for the transport leg down to Byron bay.

And then visited the Lighthouse for a Photo Opportunity

Frans had arranged a cabin for some r&r so we checked in and took it easy, early dinner then into bed.

Midnight arrived and the alarm went off and we were outta there pronto and down to the BP where waiting was Crappy to sign us Out.

http://i.imgur.com/IYkUfgC.jpg[/img]']http://i.imgur.com/IYkUfgC.jpg[/img]']http://i.imgur.com/IYkUfgC.jpg[/img]']

This is my first problem, can’t find my wallet and we haven’t even started!!!! eventually I located it in the tank bag whew... signed the paperwork, took the pics and headed off into the night following crappy down the freeway
It was a long cold night, we headed for Tenterfield lots of wildlife in the area then towards Tamworth, pic yourself sitting in a Freezer (yes minus 4) with a fan blowing on you brrrrr my upper body was ok thanks to my homemade heated vest but the feet were cold. we passed many places along the way.
Coonabarabran, Nyngan, Cobar, I have always seen these great pics of Cobar and finally I have my Own.

We reached Broken Hill and had a lap around looking for a fuel location. Low and behold we were Met by BAZ and Liz, that perked me up to see familiar faces I can tell you.

We crossed the border sometime and made it to the next fuel stop Yunta and SS1600 milestone, but we were not finished for the day yet. The target was Port Augusta.
By now it was getting cold again and slight fog. Somewhere between here and Port Augusta I needed a shut eye. Frans kept going while I took a powernap. I eventually caught Frans just before Port Augusta. Frans had booked a room, however when we got there, there was no key in the door, the we figured wrong Motel, us was 2 mins back down the road. it was late, I was stuffed and could not wait to hit the sack 1900klm day. Whew.

Alarm went off Early, I think we were on the road by 0500am Fuel and go or some ungodly hour. Another long day loomed ahead. one thing just rolled into another until Frans Pulls into this place called Nundroo.

Grabs some water and away we go again, I later learned this to be 2500 in 36 hours;

My mind was wandering, the mental games was starting to get me. At some stage I rang my best mate for a chat, he helped me along and kept me going.

soon we arrived at Kimba Halfway Across.

A quick photo stop and away again, somewhere along the way we stopped here for fuel,

http://i.imgur.com/KjYKrvT.jpg[/img]']

Ok so we are on the Nullarbor no trees just flat long road and then boom, there appears these most fantastic views of the coast, wow wished we had to stop but no must keeps rolling.

We crossed the border into WA around 20 past 4.00 Qld time. Stop for piccies then away again

Impressive Border Statue

http://i.imgur.com/o9YD3Co.jpg[/img]']

The day rolled into night and we kept riding. Around 9.00pm I was feeling shattered again and we pulled into a little roadside stop. Again, I had to tell Frans I needed a powernap. I hit the IBA motel with my alarm set. Again, Frans left me to continue, we were somewhere near (hang on, ill check the spotwalla track) flag 247 21.46pm near Balladonia. I woke with the alarm and off again, we again had some fog, Rob Macpherson had passed us sometime earlier don’t know where that was but he was on a mission.

Somewhere in the Fraser Range I came upon a car and caravan, when I eventually got to see enough to round them up (we were only doing around 70kph) as I cleared them there were Skippy’s lots of me, I had the beepers on and they didn’t seem to affect the critters. I was still on the opposite side of the road when smart Skippy runs across the road from my right, I back off and hope he keeps going, NOPE Ohh Oh he got the fog line and it was like he hit a trampoline turned right back at me, I braked hard but nothing was gonna save this bang, straight into the left side of the bike, he hit my foot, centre stand and the buck bucked hard into the air. Shit shit my rides gonna be stuffed, I looked around and was still going straight, the car was still behind me on my left, I put my right blinker back on and stopped in the right lane and the car and caravan just drove on by. I turned around no sign of Skippy. Bike was ok from what I could see in the dark. Worst part I sat my helmet on the seat and then knocked it off onto the road. Buggar, it a Shoei too Buggar I’m cross with myself, but glad I can continue, I eventually caught Frans and we rolled into Norseman for the night. Sleep oh how I love you but I wish you would take me sooner, I needed time to wind down and sleep.

Up early after about 4 hours sleep and away we go again the clock ticks on, my heads in a bad place, I struggle with everything, the bike shits me, I thinks my entire family hates me, I can’t call anyone no phone service, and it just builds and builds. Eventually I get to talk to Tory again, my rock of knowledge, I blubber on about how far we have left and whatever else I have no clue, but Tory says, small goals! Take it a town at a time, mind you they are few and far between on this road mate, but I try to focus, this is really a mind game not a physical challenge. I think of guys like Skiddo, TJ, OX and wonder how they went on their first big multi day and I figure pretty good cause they still doing them.

http://i.imgur.com/ipBi3tz.jpg[/img]']My mates Wally, Robbie and Stan RIP were riding quietly beside me

We pulled into a place called Meredin Wa for fuel and decided on a coffee as well, was 11am QLD time, I had got my wallet out to pay and Frans says he will pay. So I put wallet away. We have a seat at a little table all is good. We depart and continue on our route, we arrive at Cataby Roadhouse and my heart sank. No Wallet. Ohh no not again. But this time was really gone. Frans says I had it at Last stop, I pay for the fuel with my phone and we get going, I call my wife who tracks down the Puma number at Meredin and they confirm they have my wallet. It had fallen out of my pocket at the table. So I call them, confirm all my cards and licence are intact, and ask if there is any cash in it. Yep he says $20. So I ask him to buy an express post envelope and send it home for me, and buy a beer if there is change left. I guess and Parcel Post was cheaper and he got two beers cause it didn’t go via express post but it did make it home (after I did)

We skirted around Perth along some nice little country roads. We came along Bindoon Dewars Pool Rd and met the Great Northern Hway. We stopped for a break, I inspected the bike more closely, I needed 100mph tape to the front of the fairing as the bracket had been snapped, there were a couple off cracks in the fairing and a piece of Skippy still stuck in one of the cracks.

We continued on, our only hurdle was some roadworks where we got held up for over 20 mins while some guys moved traffic cones along a 2klm stretch. Once through an uneventful run to last Fuel before Denham. We turned left around 10.00pm Qld time and headed for the coast, I was starving, I was over the protein bars I had been living on. Being Sat night I figured its only like 9.00pm or so in Denham ill grab something once we arrive.
I was tired and decided to follow Frans pretty closely (about 120m) I had all the lights one as well, Buggar me if there is a Skippy right in front of me and right where Frans bike just was, thanks Christ he just sat there because I was gone if he moved.

We rolled into Denham 23.27 Qld time, an hour and a half ahead of the deadline required for the Trans Australian Challenge. I HAD MADE IT !!!! what a feeling on Elation and relief. You’re not gonna believe this, the only place still open was the resort office where we were staying and only because they were waiting for us. Its 9.30pm so I had a feast on an apple Frans had spare, better than nothing. Thanks Frans!!

We again left early around 5.00am WA time and headed East to the northern highway north to Carnarvon, although not actually on the clock we still had a deadline, we needed to be at Roebuck for the start of a Memorial SS1600 29/30 of May. This meant min 1500klm for the day. Will, I make it? My head was still playing games with me, Tory keep me going. Our destination was Pardoo. Middle of nowhere, we ride through endless klm of changing landscape and make it Port Headland, they have big truck here mate, quad tipping trailers that are a total of 172 tons,

And plenty of these.

we get stopped at a railway crossing with the train thats as long as Victoria, even has a second set on engines in the middle of endless trucks. It eventually clears and we get away and onto Pardoo. Arriving 9.30pm Qld time. We get a Donga, Fuel and FINALLY I order a STEAK DINNER!! Boy was that great. No power here just generators that run 24/7.

A bit longer sleep here from memory and away in the dark again, thank goodness not much wildlife.
I had managed to speak to my wife who was away in Sarina (near Mackay Qld) for the weekend, she had taken the friends dog for a walk and been tripped up and had a bad fall, possible broken rib, black eye skin off here arm and face, hit the footpath hard, and here I was on the other side of the country, this was another mind game to play out, how I got through I’m not sure, but I did.

The plan is to get to Roebuck to start a SS1600 run. Its only 500klm to get there…. We arrived at Roebuck 10.30am (Qld Time) 8.00am WA time. Fuel, small feed out of the Bay Marie, and you oughta see the sausage rolls they have there, bigger than a pie!! No didn’t have time to eat one grabbed some ice for the hydration bottle.

http://i.imgur.com/M9bIlU8.jpg[/img]']

We get the start docket and are away. I’m going ok this day except for wondering about my wife and with no phone service can’t do much about it. So back to the game plan, ONE TOWN AT A TIME. Keep following that RED CTX.

We go through some out there places, we are warned about travelling at night, kangaroos, cattle and Horses, especially the horses, one fella says they had lost two Landcruiser utes in the last week with horses on the road, luckily they have a lot of wide road verges however the cows and horses are very hard to see regardless, there were Buggar all Skippy’s, we crossed the border into NT at 11.30pm (QLD time) and were going ok, Quick stop for a photo and into the NT,

I had to laugh, about 250meters from the border was this sign, “110 speed limit in NT unless otherwise posted” 500m up the road and there is a speed sign “110” lets go>. The plan was for a million-star Hotel for the night, we pulled into a roadside stop around Midnight (Qld time) about halfway between the border and Timber Creek. There were a lot of caravans here I guess we disturbed a few. I struggled to get to sleep as someone was snoring very loudly, we were away again after about 3 hours making good time. I was ok for a while then I was losing it. Around 6.30 (qld time) I needed a power nap. I had dropped of Frans by now. I pulled into rest stop and put the head down, didn’t even get off the bike.
10 minutes later a truck went by and woke me. Up and away we went. I knew I had to make good time, it was dark, the road was wide the verge clear and there were no Skippy 120kph was the speed. All the way to Katherine, I didn’t see a thing a good clear run. Frans was waiting for me at the BP. Fuel and away we went heading North, we road into Adelaide River to be met by Wendy who shot a video of us arriving (it’s on Facebook) and we got the fuel, Docket and signed off the Memorial SS1600. 10.04am QLD time.

We rode into Darwin following Wendy, straight to Wendy’s mechanic who was organized to service the bikes, Wendy had purchased the oil we needed. While the mechanic serviced Frans Bike I changed my oil, and washed out my filter. Great Guy. Great job straight in and out. We rode into the Darwin City waterfront for a photo or two.

i really like this one
Then back to Wendy’s to grab some rest. After spending some time sorting gear on the bike and a bit of a repack, went to bed, could NOT SLEEP, Grrrrr, Frans was asleep but I was overtired.
I laid there just running stuff in my head, I have made it to DARWIN, WOW, but a long way to go yet.
I told the guys, if I go to sleep don’t wake me for dinner, I eventually nodded off and the next time I awoke was around 2.30am, a squirt then back to sleep. The alarm went off and I had around 12 hours sleep, feeling ok we headed for the Servo in the city for the start docket for the 50CC down to Melbourne. We were signed out by Wendy and said our thanks and goodbyes. The traffic was quiet and we got out of town ok, we spent the day fighting strong head cross winds, the plan was a 2500 in 24 to Glendambo, it wasn’t long before that was not gonna be a reality, the bike was comfortable at 115 only, we rolled on all day pushing along with short fuel stops. We passed through Elliot and there was this crazy man waving at us LOL, We got to the border at 11.10pm (qld time spot says so) I rode into the area to light up the sign and get the photo then onwards to Port Augusta. When we arrived at Marla, it was just after midnight (Qld Time) Frans was tired and was going to stay at Marla as did not want to swag it at Coober Pedy. I was going ok and wanted to keep pushing the 2500 was out the door but I still had sights on a 2000 in 24, we arranged to meet at Glendambo the next Day at 11.00am.
Somewhere just out of Katherine i noted movement in my Aux Tank. I pulled up, The front bracket had broken. S out with the cable ties.

a bit later i added a strap to be sure

Away into the night I went, no wildlife was around and I pushed myself and arrived at Coober Pedy at 0402am (Qld Time) I had made it. I pulled into the Shell… It was warm inside, it was like hey you have cabins… yes mate, can I have one please… sure, it was so good not to have to swag it. I arranged for a wakeup call in 3 ½ hours from the attendant, the room was pretty new donga style with an ensuite, the shower was great to warm up.

Early Morning Shot

Next day sun shining I had a quick egg and bacon roll and a coffee then off to Glendambo, but I stopped for a photo first.

I got to Glendambo and no Frans yet, I was earlier then out arranged time. I checked his spot to see he was halfway to me. I decided to have coffee and fix my vest. I needed a soldering iron as a wire had broken off the plug, I got one at the Shell Roadhouse, all good. Eventually Frans and Rob Arrived. First time we had all 3 been stopped together. Frans had hit a Skippy pretty bad. The bloody Skippy even stole his Go Pro camera. We added some 100mph tape to Frans panier had a coffee a chat and we all set off for Port Augusta the next Target.

We rode on a town at time still for me but I was doing it we arrived in Port Augusta around 3.40pm (qld Time) Centreline 36 completed, grabbed fuel and a pie, Rob was in the carpark just leaving as we were fuelling. We headed off towards our end Game Melbourne. I had asked Frans about Davos’ plaque, we took a detour up Horrocks Pass Road to do the phot at the Davo Plaque. Its located at my Green Flag on the spotwalla track number 775, coordinates -32.62459, 137.94675 if you need to find it.

There is a rock sitting on the fence post right near the plaque. I didn’t know Davo, however wanted to pay respects to the man who did so much for the LD riding community in Australia.

Didn’t stay long the clock was ticking we headed for Adelaide arriving in peak traffic was not good with lots of trucks tyring to exit the city for Melbourne, this was to be a LONG night, we reached the SA / Vic border at 10.50pm (qld Time) grabbed a pic and a power nap, even Frans had a nap, the Jedi Road warrior was doing it tough tonight, but we would conquer this together.
By the time we got to Horsham it was freezing, my feet were ice blocks, my vest still not right. We fuelled up, I put two sets of toe warmers into my boots, feet good! I cut open the heated vest wiring loom, finished everything else I had to do, sat on the bike and started twisting wiries together for the vest, I also taped them up. I didn’t realise I had left the power switch on and somehow, I toughed the neg and one of the + wires together which blew the fuse, not time to fix it just have to go Frans was waiting.

The trucks were horrendous, pushing us in the fog, we were letting them past us even though we were on the speed limit, nearly every town had police sitting waiting and pulling them over, the road was absolute SHIT rough as guts and narrow. It’s a major link between tow capital cities and such a poor road even worse than road from the SA border to Port Augusta, my ridding Jedi was not in good shape here, we stopped a lot but we kept going, finally the lights of Melbourne loomed, another stop, then were in the city limits and on the freeway, we rolled into Port Melbourne and there was Fatman, Lynne and Phillip all waving as we went past the servo and around the corner. A quick U turn and back to the United to be greeted by the welcoming party. I struggled to get off the bike, my legs were cramping badly but we were there, 48hours and 3 mins. 50cc Darwin to Melbourne completed.

Frans and Myself Elated to be in Melbourne
http://i.imgur.com/1Tt6Tc8.jpg[/img]']

http://i.imgur.com/1Tt6Tc8.jpg[/img]']

Fatman and Lynne had to go as work called, Phillip shouted coffee and a pie. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! We then said our goodbyes and headed for the Motel. The Ride Frans had Planned was OVER, we had accomplished what we had set out to do.

We arrived at the motel around 5.30 and went to bed. I was awoken with leg cramps at one stage in agony, I got up and walked it off the back to bed again, next we know the room cleaners have open the door telling us to go. I showered and dressed and packed the bike, my plan was to do a SS1600 home, (if I could make it) not that I needed it I just wanted to force myself to get home as quick as possible.

We fuelled in Melbourne and off we set up the slab called the Hume Freeway. We ran thought to Gundagai where we stopped for fuel, then a feed at Hungry jacks, I rang Onesie who was in Goulbourn to get me a cigarette lighter plug and lead for the heated vest, (not realising the other wire was still broken, we stopped at the Merino, did the wire up and more toe warmers installed to my feet. Frans would leave me soon and head home, we said goodbyes and back on the road.

I waved good bye to Frans at Picton and put my eyes forward on, it was dark cold and I was in the groove. I navigated Sydney no issues and out onto the Freeway to Newcastle…… then it happened….. it started to rain. I was not happy, I was feeling tired now and the rain did not help this. I rode on and the rain stopped, I pulled into the service centre near Jilliby for a snooze, 20 mins and back into it and the rain started again, I wasn’t feeling good, I had promised Frans I would pull the pin on the 1600 if I had to just to be safe. I rode for about an hour and was not great so decided to grab a sleep time, I pulled into the first iron Butt motel that came along and didn’t even take the helmet off climbed onto the table and slept. About an hour later a truck pulled in and woke me up, I decided to keep going. The fuel light started to flash, I reached for the aux tap, my heart sank, it was already on… I had about 70klm range left, eventually Bulahdelah loomed into view, I pulled off the freeway and into the town and eventually found the 24-hour servo, filled both tanks and made sure the tap was off this time. I decided I would have a coffee and a sanga while I was here as it was raining again. The rain subsided and I was set to go. I no sooner got back on the freeway and the rain started it was around 02.00am I rode for only 45mins and the rain had me stuffed with the trucks and poor visibility, so I pulled into another Iron Butt Motel near Old Bar I think. The tables all had lights over them, so I grabbed my swag out rolled it out and I had a trap. I covered the bike and was stopping. Game over, I had had enough. I also had a trap which I put one side under the swag, I just laid on the swag and wrapped the tarp over me. I was warm and dry and done. I was woken by a guy trying to fix his truck 3 hours later, again the raid had stopped, I thought I’m not getting any more sleep here so I’ll go packed up and set off, I had plenty of fuel but figured the 1600 was dusted as in my mind I had a start time of 11.05am I rode through the morning still just wanting to be home, next thing the phone rings, its Frans, he asks how I am, I’m fine. He says just looked at your spot, your gonna make the 1600 ok, I say no 11.05time he says no the docket is 11.50am you have time… game face is back on, we discuss options and that I wanted to do a ss1600 to finish at Byron Bay where we had started our ride. By calculations I will be about 8klm short if I ride straight there, Frans goes I’ll do some mapping and call you back. Meanwhile I’m thinking I just want to get 1611klm no more to get it done, while Frans is mapping I come to the MacLean turn off, I know there is a servo in the back of the town, I turn off and run into town, to the servo and buy tow muslie bars with a docket, I ride back to the freeway and Frans calls back, there is a servo about 10k past the Byron Bay Turnoff you can get a docket, I ride to this place, get a drink and a docket and head back to Byron Bay and the BP servo where it had all start just a few days previous. I get my docket 11.19am I made it. !!! Elation hits I’m so happy as I head for home. When I left that place I didn’t know if I would get past day 2. I persevered though all sorts of mental anguish and bad headspace to get through. Many people made this possible via phone calls for support, Facebook messages and texts and most of all Frans for just being a JEDI ROAD WARRIOR!!!!

And thanks to all the welcoming parties along the way. This is truly a most memorable event in my life.
The end Map from Spotwalla

You can check it out here
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1416f59072d1a18ca6&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

and the rest is on FaCEBOOK WITH MORE PICTURES AT
https://www.facebook.com/groups/259753157827541/

Last edited:

Tele

Premier Member
Some wonderful honesty and insights there Brian. Fantastic ride and wonderful how you overcame the mental and physical challenges of such an epic ride programme. Well done mate and a great report. Congratulations on your personal achievement.

HACKLE

Brian, my hanky is out and I'm dabbing my eyes. Yes, you and your report have brought tears to my eyes. The hardships and mental anguish you have related and how you overcame them are brilliant. To have the extra burden of a "downed" wife to contend with was enough to stop a "normal" man. The loss of your wallet would have been more than troubling. Yet you toughed it out and continued, never losing sight of the overall plan. As has been said for other riders of late, I dips me lid to you. Not getting past two days, well you proved those thoughts wrong. A very large, warm and heartiest of congratulations to not only yourself but also to the, "JEDI ROAD WARRIOR".

Farkleit

Premier Member
I tried to add some more photos by the site says 40 is the limit so i could not put them all in.
I drop some in this comment maybe see how that works out.

This was typical of a lot of the roads in the West, you wouldnt want to pull off the road at night and find this for sure.

Stuck at Roadworks heading to Denham

Front view of the tri drive trucks

This fella was heading out to fill a few Casks or Flagons i think.

Everytime we put SHELL fuel in the bikes the klm per liter increased a lot, and we were only using 91 octane

Farkleit

Premier Member
I'm So thrilled to get mail today.
email has advised that the memorial ride is yet to be issued however these have all been certified.

then

then

then

then

then

then a SS1600 back to where the ride started.

These are now loaded from imgur cant get google links to work

Last edited: