UK four corners

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Since my failed attempt (see three corners write up) it is unfinished business we started Le, St Davids, got to Jog then quit because of the weather in may rain/sleet/snow of the horizontal variety, at that stage the eleven hour slog to Lowestoft was looking extremely unappetising.
So i have a cunning plan Jog-Lowestoft get the long slog out of the way first St Davids-Le or the other way round with a rest somewhere before the 3rd and 4th corner.
I am aiming at late August early September hopefully the weather will be more stable, what does the collective think of that?
Any advice gratefully recieved............ta

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
John

You could always look at the Full Monty. Home, Lowestoft, Jog, St Davids, LE, Home ?

Your planned route means doubling back at St David's for the ride to LE in my opinion the best route for this ride would be Lowestoft, LE, St David's & JOG via Aberystwyth, that would give you a total mileage of 1448 miles as opposed to 1566 miles if you go to St David's before LE.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Due to the geography of this ride you are going to double back from St Davids to LE or LE - St Davids it's the ride up to or from Jog.
The full monty is more logical as there is no dead mileage but it's two full saddle sore rides, i did the RBLR 1000 in 21.5 hours if i can keep that pace up for two days that will give me 7 hours for rest/delays/any other problems.
That is why i am leaning to the four corners 500 miles shorter more time to rest more relaxed pace but i still have to ride to Jog to start, so part one of the cunning plan could be a pre-planned trip to Trac mon in Anglesea where i am marshalling for the Classic racing motorcycle club then ride to Jog to start the next day.
Just looked on google maps it works out 110 miles shorter than riding from home,

Last edited:

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
If memory serves me correctly the short route is JOG, Lowestoft, St Davids, LE at about 1350 miles.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
That is the route i am planning just got to pick a date after the kids have gone back to school and before the weather turns to crap having said that it will be crap somewhere between the four corners.
Also to get a rest in just before of just after the third corner,is it better to book something in that area a target to aim for or play it by ear e.g 'iron butt hotel'?
I know a lot of questions but i want to get it right this time.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
As you're down in jellied eels country you could always ride up to Lowestoft, stay overnight and start very early from there and go clockwise or anti-clockwise. Or do the same thing but ride down to, stay overnight, and start from LE instead. If you then went clockwise via St David's you'd finish at Lowestoft and only have a two hour ride back home? :)

Either route would give you time for a cheap Travelodge rest break or similar, depending on timings and location.

Starting from JoG is O.K. if you live in Scotland or are up there on other business, but to ride there solely to start this ride is silly. As a four corners ride is time limited I would have thought a good rest prior to starting was essential, as you live in Kent starting from Lowestoft should be the only sensible option, once you've finished the ride in JoG you can treat the ride home as a flower sniffing ride and take your time in a relaxed manner.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
You both make a good point, a start with an overnight in Lowestoft/Le/St Davids according to google maps will be around 12 hours that gives me 24 hours to get to Jog with a rest built in.
Might have to get swmbo a bunch of flowers to let me off the washing up for that long.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Just had a look Travel lodge and Tesco in the same road.
If you mean at Lowestoft then yes, they're virtually on the same site. And there's a Premier Inn just around the corner from there too so might be worth keeping an eye out for deals at either.

If you do intend to start from Lowestoft I'll happily ride over from Norwich and sign your start witness form before you get your head down. :)

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
When I did my gold 4 corners I went LE St.Davids Lowestoft and Jog.
There are enough small roads at the corners so it pays otherwise to stay on dual carriageways/ motorways

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
LE is a bit far to go for a start from where i live Lowestoft, LE, St Davids, Jog makes more sense.
But starting at Jog is still looking good finish at LE or St Davids shorter ride home, i could treat the ride up as a flower sniffing exercise:)

Safari Ferg

Safari Ferg, President IBA Ireland
Premier Member
Playing the Devil's Advocate, I wonder should this ride be renamed and /or re-assessed?
If it is a UK Four Corners then Belleek in Northern Ireland should be included, otherwise it should presumably be renamed the Great Britain 4 Corners certified ride;
however the most westerly part of GB is Corrachadh Mòr and the most westerly motorable road (I believe) is the Ardnamurchan Light House, in Scotland ; therefore should it be called the GB Nations 4 Corners?

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Playing the Devil's Advocate, I wonder should this ride be renamed and /or re-assessed?
If it is a UK Four Corners then Belleek in Northern Ireland should be included, otherwise it should presumably be renamed the Great Britain 4 Corners certified ride;
however the most westerly part of GB is Corrachadh Mòr and the most westerly motorable road (I believe) is the Ardnamurchan Light House, in Scotland ; therefore should it be called the GB Nations 4 Corners?
The four corners is not a ride that visits the geographical corners of the mainland. It does however give you the chance to ride around most of the mainland.

If you want a challenge try Lighthouse NEWS which visits the four Cardinal point Lighthouses of the UK that can be reached without using a ferry.

https://www.ironbutt.co.uk/w3/newsride.php

This ride should provide a challenge for most, as a significant part of the mileage is non motorway.