UK Lane discipline

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
1612782907850.png

So you're riding up this motorway. Where will you be? What will you be thinking? What will you do?

For the sake of consistency, from left to right, hard shoulder, lane 1, lane 2, lane 3 (with red cars), central reservation, lane 3, lane 2, lane 1, hard shoulder.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Lane 1 at national speed limit or with the flow of traffic looking at an overtake on the yellow car in the distance.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Lane 1
National Speed Limit for my class of vehicle.
I'll be thinking about the car and trailer straddling two lanes (1&2) and my upcoming overtake assuming I can see the car in lane 1 from the curve. I also dont like passing open trailers in case something falls off.
I'll also be thinking I prefer Tarmac to Concrete.
Will I pass on the left? Not legal but the chances of vehicles in 2 & 3 using correct lane discipline are remote, in my experience.
Depending on the closing speeds I may think its safer to pass on the left, but its about as risky as filtering.
Relative speeds will be a factor too which we don't know from this image.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Dumb question, but since I don't live in the UK I'm curious...

Which lane is the "slower" lane in this case? Lane 1, or Lane 3? In other words, is slower traffic supposed to stay near the median, or the shoulder?

Would like to visit the UK some day, and would probably be a good idea to know a few things in advance.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
The only dumb questions are the ones that don't get asked.

Lane 1 is "slower". Lanes 2 and 3 are for overtaking.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
That would definitely be opposite of what I'm used to. Over here, the right lane is for slower, and left lanes are for overtaking.

Of course, we drive on the opposite side of the road, too, so there's that.

As for "the only dumb questions are the ones that don't get asked", I'd have to respectfully disagree...

Hello, Roseanne Barr. You gonna finish that food?

Do politicians want to get reelected?

Does it rain in Great Britain?

;):p

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Why aren't the twats not overtaking...residing in Lane 1? Which is possibly two cars overtaking....
Wtf is the car/trailer thinking? Did he drop his beer?

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Will I pass on the left? Not legal but the chances of vehicles in 2 & 3 using correct lane discipline are remote, in my experience.
Depending on the closing speeds I may think its safer to pass on the left, but its about as risky as filtering.

Will I go around a central reservation when a slow moving object is occupying most of the road? Illegal? Yes, but I'm here for a good time, not a long time.

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
My understanding is that if you are in Lane 1 (travelling at or below the legal limit) and you pass a vehicle in Lane 2 or 3 who is travelling at a slower speed. Providing you remain in Lane 1 and remain vigilant and prepared for any change in direction of other vehicles then this is known as “following through”
No - not that kind of following through!!
You are not overtaking per se - you are just staying put.
Although the concept of passing a slower moving vehicle on the inside is spelled out in the Highway Code, it doesn’t specifically include motorways.
However, I doubt you’ll find a copper who will penalise you.

On the flip side if you were in Lane 2, moved to Lane 1 to get past and then moved back to Lane 2 then that is definitely overtaking on the inside and is a huge no-no.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I'd be interested in how you would have responded to your post Bob?

The discussion around Lane Discipline, or lack thereof, is that what you expected?

I avoid calling Lane 1 "Slower" as that inference means the others are faster and reflect the common misapprehension that Lane 1 = Slow, Lane 2 = normal Speed and Lane 3 = Fast.

I think the main issue with poor lane discipline is the volume of traffic and the human need to protect their space.

Good discussion, thanks for sharing.

as you say not a dumb question but is it a good question?

(So you're riding up this motorway. Where will you be? What will you be thinking? What will you do?)

the trouble with a photo is its a snap shot in time so you don't know whats been going on leading up to the photo there could have been a hazard or something that every one has moved to the right to avoid.
same with dash cams you only see an incident from one perspective hence to fully understand the situation you need to veiw from a number of perspectives there used to be an old observer newspaper advert that emphasized this point really well.
found it. this may explain what i mean if the link don't work just type in observer newspaper tv advert think it was 1986.
https://www.youtube.com/watch/_SsccRkLLzU

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
My response would vary widely depending on the mood I was in at the time combined with my perception of what the consequences might be if observed by, say, a traffic officer or monitoring camera.

I'm going to assume that the vehicles shown are all travelling at between 50-65mph for no better reason than that is the most common circumstance I actually encounter, particularly on the London bound M20 on the way home from a continental excursion where, with the notable exception of Belgium, I am used to road users largely doing what they're supposed to. Let's assume that that is indeed the north-westbound carriageway of the M20, late afternoon (sun's over there). As you can see, the conditions are all good: visibility, road surface (apart from it being concrete), dry, warm, etc. Let's also make the entirely reasonable assumption that there are no qualified enforcers (HATOs, TOs, etc) anywhere in the vicinity (this is 2020s, not 1980s)

Mood 1 - ffs, why can't any of these dickheads do what even French peasants can manage in their 2CVs?
Ride aggressively, with of course my usual standards of observation and caution, up lane 3, high beams and spots on until 2 seconds behind rear offender then wiggle from side to side while flashing high beams until he finally notices and moves over. If he fails to move over before my patience is exhausted, move to far left of lane 2, move swiftly past then return to lane 3, 1-1.5 seconds in front of him, sit there for 15-20 seconds before doing something similar with the red cars if they haven't already taken the hint.

Mood 2 - (as mood 1 but) can't be arsed with these dickheads, let's just get home.
70mph on the satnav up lane 1, moving to far left of L1 to undercut black car in L2. It looks like the trailer is moving from L2 to L1, being slower than the white car who's probably out of the way by now, so move to L2 behind white car then L3. If the speeds were a bit lower, say, 40-50, I might well decide to filter between L2/L3 instead.

I have in the past sought advice on the legality of the L1 undertake and the consensus, including several TOs, falls short of declaring it to be legal but, assuming that I'm well-behaved, wouldn't result in me incurring penalties or even words of advice.

My direct experience of middle-lane hogs in particular is that they are simply unaware of the error of their ways or the inconvenience it causes to others. They do it on empty motorways just as often as crashingly busy ones. It's an education issue mostly although there can also be an element of laziness and/or lack of observation going on as well.

The issues involved in this artificial scenario are not black and white; there is no single "correct" response, instead the best any of us can do is to expose our thinking. It's almost like what we'd actually be doing if we were riding up a motorway!

ps. TO = Traffic Officer (Police, not HATO=Highways Agency Traffic Officer)

Last edited:

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Well, put Bob.

I have used all those strategies and agree with your analysis.

I think Cruise Control has a part to play. Some fellow motorists do not appear to use acceleration/deceleration at all. Just sit at their set CC speed and cruise on in the lane that causes no requirement to move in or out.

I see lane changing as an aid to Road Safety in that changing lane requires actions, like rear observation.

Nice thread, thanks for sharing.

BTW 'stig of the dump' loved the YouTube video.