Ultimate CC Prudhoe Bay to Key West- Gold Wing possibilities

We are planning a trip to Deadhorse next year and would like to ride our own bikes. I have a Goldwing and others in group have similar bikes, Can we ride the Dalton Highway from Fairbanks to Deadhorse ok?
Thanks for any advice!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Let's just say Gold Wings have done it. A lot has to do with the weather and one's off-road riding skills. The chloride they use on the road is also pretty hard on paint jobs.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Many Gold Wings have ridden the Dalton.

I went to Alaska in 2012 ( I was the ride sponsor for MTF ride of 25 riders ) and I rode part of the Dalton on a new 2012 Gold Wing and when I got home I stripped ( all plastic and trunk and saddle bags ) the bike and there was crap everywhere. The bike was never the same. I did not ride all the way up as it was a new Gold Wing with only 10,000 miles on it.

I think I was the only one who did not drop the bike at sometime during the 18 day trip. ;)

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I just did the Haul road on my Ultra Limited a 3 weeks ago. I rode into a cold front going over the Brooks range which made the ride quite a challenge on a heavy bike. When the road is wet, the surface become slippery. On the way back the road was drier, but it was still slow going for the northern 125 miles or so. I'm sure I came close to having the front end wash out on me over a dozen times. I was passed by GSA (or similar) bikes who were making much better time than I was.

I don't know if I'll try the ride again on a bike that has such little suspension travel or ground clearance. I'm sure if the weather had been better, it wouldn't have been so treacherous, but the road is still likely to have stretches of construction and disrepair that will make travel on a low and heavy bike difficult at best.

Any suggestions on the best place to have tires changed in Fairbanks? Was hoping to find a shop that might specialize in trading out tires or keeping used tires in rotation. Wishful thinking?!

Rollin'

Premier Member
I rode a Victory Vision to Deadhorse in 2012, the Vision has the same size tires as the Gold Wing and is about the same weight.
I used a run flat snow tire on the rear and a Dunlop E3 on the front, I completed the ride but the front tire was the weak link.

Details UCC - https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/top-of-the-world.827740/

In 2015 I took the Vision to the end of the Dempster Highway. I used a run flat snow tire on the rear and a Shinko 700 Series on the front. Worked well!!

Details CNSC - https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/back-to-the-arctic-circle-inuvik.1086309/

We have decided to ride V Stroms if nothing changes. Like riding our tourers in their current condition! :)
Hope to find a shop that will change tires for us in Fairbanks as it is a 4000 mile trip to there.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I rode a Victory Vision to Deadhorse in 2012, the Vision has the same size tires as the Gold Wing and is about the same weight.
I used a run flat snow tire on the rear and a Dunlop E3 on the front, I completed the ride but the front tire was the weak link.

Details UCC - https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/top-of-the-world.827740/

My experience with road conditions and my reaction to them is similar to those in Rollin's report above. If you're planning the ride, read his report. Once I do mine, I'll try to remember to circle back here with a link.

I used stock Dunlops on my HD and they lasted the entire round trip from home.