Using Bubbler With Spotwalla to Track Receipts

Dave28117

Premier Member
I'm having trouble setting up my Bubbler email. I've tried my Gmail, Yahoo, and Outlook account and I always get "ERROR ENCOUNTERED Message failed to send"

I'm using the SMTP & Ports they say to use. Anybody have some tips?

Gary
try the group as mentioned, but a simple question, you have your ID and password for Spotwalla already set up? you have your phone set up in spotwalla as bubbler GPS? I did not have to use any smtp or ports that I recall. The email ID and password I set up in bubbler connected me to spotwalla after I got the phone set up there.

igneouss

Premier Member
If I recall I had to get a code from my email company and use it to connect spotwalla. It was a bit confusing but once done it worked fine.

BeerTapper

Premier Member
try the group as mentioned, but a simple question, you have your ID and password for Spotwalla already set up? you have your phone set up in spotwalla as bubbler GPS? I did not have to use any smtp or ports that I recall. The email ID and password I set up in bubbler connected me to spotwalla after I got the phone set up there.
Yes, Bubbler is setup in Spotwalla. It tracks and attaches pictures, but no email. I'll try Facebook. Thanks

TwoWheelTim

Premier Member
I was reviewing this thread in prep for a ride and was also playing around in Spotwalla. It is possible to add pictures to your trip after the fact. If you click on a point and look at the bottom of the pop-up box you will find an option to "add/update photo". Clicking that takes you to a screen where you can remove, update or add a new picture. Could be handy if you forgot to send a gas receipt (just make sure you select the correct point to edit).

Attachments

Dave28117

Premier Member
I was reviewing this thread in prep for a ride and was also playing around in Spotwalla. It is possible to add pictures to your trip after the fact. If you click on a point and look at the bottom of the pop-up box you will find an option to "add/update photo". Clicking that takes you to a screen where you can remove, update or add a new picture. Could be handy if you forgot to send a gas receipt (just make sure you select the correct point to edit).
yes. you can do that too. doing it through bubbler only saves you a few steps after your ride is complete.

yon

Premier Member
I attended the Jax rally and was thrilled to hear about the process of embedding pics of DBRs into your Spot route tracking using the Bubbler app on Andriod. Below are the steps and I believe I've followed them properly, but have not been successful in adding a photo into my route. Can someone give me some tips on what I might have incorrect in my setup?

1. Obtain DBR,
  2. open bubbler app on your phone
  3. align next to MC Odometer display.
  4. Select New Message.
  5. Touch the camera icon to activate the camera
  6. Ensure the Date/Time/City/State & MC odometer are clearly visible
  7. Take the picture: Accept/Retake as necessary
  8. Select message type, press icon
  9. Verify the “Last GPS/Upload” date/time------or not
  10. Check the spotwalla map every once in a while just to be sure that all is well
Did this end up being the correct way to upload pictures? Working to figuring out Bubbler and am wondering if I am doing too many steps. Most of my photos are uploading, but sometimes they don't show up.

Current process:
1. Tap New Message
2. Tap the camera icon
3. Take photo
4. Tap Accept
5. Select Category (optional)
6. Tap New Okay icon

One thing I have noticed is pictures are not uploading when I'm at a location for a while and then take the photo. This happened and other day and looks like it just did it again while writing this. I've been at my desk in my office for awhile now and took a photo to make sure I was writing my process correctly. The test trip I have generated in Spotwalla is not showing the photo I took. This might not be an issue during a ride since I'll take a photo, upload, and go but I wanted to make sure before I try my first SS1k.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Did this end up being the correct way to upload pictures? Working to figuring out Bubbler and am wondering if I am doing too many steps. Most of my photos are uploading, but sometimes they don't show up.

Current process:
1. Tap New Message
2. Tap the camera icon
3. Take photo
4. Tap Accept
5. Select Category (optional)
6. Tap New Okay icon

One thing I have noticed is pictures are not uploading when I'm at a location for a while and then take the photo. This happened and other day and looks like it just did it again while writing this. I've been at my desk in my office for awhile now and took a photo to make sure I was writing my process correctly. The test trip I have generated in Spotwalla is not showing the photo I took. This might not be an issue during a ride since I'll take a photo, upload, and go but I wanted to make sure before I try my first SS1k.
Firt off, Eliminate Step 6. Tapping any of the 8 icons on the "Send Message" screen will send the message with that category. By doing Step 5 and Step 6, you are sending two different messages.

As for sending pictures inside a building (or anywhere else with a sketchy GPS signal)... If your phone cannot get a GPS signal in the amount of time you have selected on the "Settings - Update Frequency" screen, it will not send the picture. If it does not have a cell or WiFi signal (but knows where it is via GPS) it will hold that message, and picture, until it can send it later. However, not having a GPS signal will stop the entire process. It simply cannot send a geo-tagged picture to Spotwalla if it does not know where it is when the picture was taken. Bubbler calculates your position from scratch every time it wants to send a message. It is not like Google Maps that is always accessing the GPS. This helps to keep its batterry usage at a minimum but does come at the cost of not being able to instantly assign a position to a picture.

yon

Premier Member
Firt off, Eliminate Step 6. Tapping any of the 8 icons on the "Send Message" screen will send the message with that category. By doing Step 5 and Step 6, you are sending two different messages.

As for sending pictures inside a building (or anywhere else with a sketchy GPS signal)... If your phone cannot get a GPS signal in the amount of time you have selected on the "Settings - Update Frequency" screen, it will not send the picture. If it does not have a cell or WiFi signal (but knows where it is via GPS) it will hold that message, and picture, until it can send it later. However, not having a GPS signal will stop the entire process. It simply cannot send a geo-tagged picture to Spotwalla if it does not know where it is when the picture was taken. Bubbler calculates your position from scratch every time it wants to send a message. It is not like Google Maps that is always accessing the GPS. This helps to keep its batterry usage at a minimum but does come at the cost of not being able to instantly assign a position to a picture.
Thanks. I was wondering if I was sending two different messages or just one, hence the question. I hadn't had time to sit down and do a comparative test.

If I am remembering correctly, all the times I've taken a photo and it hasn't uploaded where inside buildings, so this makes sense.

Does Bubbler store the photos taken? Wondering if I should take two photos of every event, one with Bubbler and one with the phone's camera, or can I find the Bubbler photo later to upload to Spotwalla manually should the need arise.

yon

Premier Member
Nevermind about the photo question, just looked and answered my own question. Yes, Bubbler does save the photo to your phone. Mine are showing up in my the Pictures folder (android)

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Nevermind about the photo question, just looked and answered my own question. Yes, Bubbler does save the photo to your phone. Mine are showing up in my the Pictures folder (android)
Yup... It does store the picture, but it is a very low resolution version of the picture. If you want to have a high resolution copy, it is much better to take the picture through the device's native camera then open your browser and navigate to the Spotwalla site and upload the picture directly to the correct location mark. If all you want is a quick way to get some kind of picture to Spotwalla, then using Bubbler's camera function works well.

yon

Premier Member
Noted. I was thinking of grabbing additional photos during the ride like state line signs, etc., as further evidence of where I was on the ride. But also wanted them for personal use, so I will just take two photos in that case. Thanks for your help!

Dave28117

Premier Member
one thing I do. rather than step 6, I go back to the main bubbler screeen and select "update now". for me, that appears to ensure the message goes out. I can validate this because of the update to the "Last Upload" date/timestamp. it makes me more comfortable that the message has sent.

yon

Premier Member
That's a good idea, thanks. Best to verify on the spot instead of getting back from a trip and realizing something is missing.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
one thing I do. rather than step 6, I go back to the main bubbler screeen and select "update now". for me, that appears to ensure the message goes out. I can validate this because of the update to the "Last Upload" date/timestamp. it makes me more comfortable that the message has sent.
"Update Now" forces Bubbler to calculate a new track mark. Still independent of the picture message you just sent.