Using products like Nikwax on non-rainproof gear

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I'm still using the River Road Taos jacket that I've had for years. As much as I'd like an Aerostich jacket, I can't justify the funds at this time.

What I'd like to know is if I can improve on my Taos jacket, since it's still in good shape and there's no reason to get rid of it. The issue is waterproofing.

The Taos is, at best, water resistant. It'll do fine for light sprinkling while I'm in motion, but if I find myself in proper rain it will get soaked quickly.

I've only recently learned of Nikwax. My understanding of it is that it's a water repellant that can be added to garments. What I don't know is if it's actually effective.

Has anyone here used Nikwax on a jacket (or pants) that was not originally designed with waterproof materials? Is it worth the time, or just a lot of marketing hype?

I'm game for anything that would allow me to leave my PVC gear at home.

ibafran

Naturally, it depends. I bought a gallon of Starbrite material sealer with PTEF on sale from West Marine. Also available from big box stores like Farm&Fleet. I wanted to seal my 1pc RoadCrafter, tent, tank bag, boots, gloves, nylon backpacks, cheap nylon duffels, camp chairs. It worked really well on some stuff and didn't seem to make much difference on other stuff. There no instance of it making anything worse. Unlike other sealers that I have tried, it dried quickly and didn't have any lingering smell. Dries real fast (1 hr?) if left outside in the sun with a light breeze. Takes much longer (3 days before smell goes away and maybe a day before the material feels dry) hanging in the garage even if a fan is blowing on it.

I followed directions for 2 coats applied with a brush and/or a small roller. The gallon lasted for 8 years of fun before I used it all up.

Did not work well on the RoadCrafter in certain places. Original leaks still leaked but no new leaks since first application. The RC gets washed and treated once per year unless muddy'd up something awful. Maybe 6 years of this treatment so far.

Worked great on leaking tent fly and sealed it up the first time. Because I had plenty of sealer, I gave the fly another coat before epic trips. I do not think extra coats were necessary. But they relieved anxiety.

Worked great on all bags. Why buy an expensive dry bag when a cheap, resale shop, nylon duffle can be had for $2? (The sleeping bag and the clean underwear still get packed in zip-locs and a can liner. Why tempt Fate/Karma?) If a rider really can't live w/o a storm flap over the duffel zipper, make one out of duct tape or something. Leaking tank bag was a 2 coat and done. I might have given the tank bag extra coats over the years because I had the sealer out for something else and it was easy to hit the tank bag again.

Made no difference to boots and gloves but did no harm.

Some riders like rattle cans of CampMore giving materials a good wetting with a complete dry before a second coat. I haven't tried that. The riders I know who do that like it have the stuff on their 1pc RoadCrafters. Rumor has it that the 2pc RoadCrafters are much better and do not leak to start with. Rumor has it that the last several years of RCs have a tighter material weave that sheds rain much better.

I tried Nikwax on my RC and was not rewarded from the effort which is why I was willing to try Starbrite. Considering my leaks, I may try that stuff they use on waxed cotton garments in the area of the leaks just to see if it makes any difference. For example, my left sleeve leaks near the elbow and the whole gets soaked from there downward. I may apply the garment wax only from the upper arm down to the cuff and see what happens.

FYI: I had 2 1pc RCs and both were completely dry for the first 4 years (40+k miles) of use. Then the leaking started and I can't stop it. I might stay dry in a 'normal' rain for 20min and then the seepage finally makes its way in.
fran

I find myself in a similar position, the gear I have, while allegedly top of the range 10 years ago, has been well loved and now a little leaky. The first place I notice getting wet is my belly, after that it’s down south lol
I’m located in Australia so some of the top range gear is a little hard to come by, certainly I’ve not seen Klim on the shelf anywhere.
For the time being I’ll investigate what I can source locally, the Starbrite sealer I can get posted so there’s a start and I’ve been put on to some Gear Aid Seam Grip and WP Sealer & Adhesive for a few seams and small holes in my liner bags.
I’ll post in a couple of weeks and let you know my results

what have you been using on your boots? I’ve been using Collonil motorcycle leather wax for years and pretty happy with it, I guess for leather there has always been good options, Dubbin has been around forever lol

Melbourne here, Mornington Peninsula
I prefer not to buy clothing, especially expensive stuff via the net, I’ve tried a couple of times and even with sending my measurements I’ve still received poor fitting items.