Versys 1000

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Would like anybody's opinion on whether or not the versys would make a good LD Bike, it has a 5.5 gal tank and gets 40mpg, I'm thinking about getting one in the next couple yrs.

Rick

Premier Member
I can't speak to the 1000, but I bought a 650 this summer and I love it. I'm getting 50 mpg so with the 5.5 gallon tank it's got a decent range. It's a comfortable, nimble bike. I haven't done anything longer than a couple hundred miles on it but I don't foresee any problem with doing distance rides. I'll be riding to JAX in March and doing the SS ride there so I'll have more to report on following that.

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Short answer: YES

I ride a Kawasaki Concours 14 and have a little Ninja 250 and have being looking at the Versys 1000. The problem is that I'm looking at the KLR and the ZX-10R... The Versys is somewhere between the Ninja 1000 and the Concours 14, better ergonomics than the ninja, lighter than the C14. I can't see why a 1000 bike like the Versys wouldn't be a good LD option. There are aftermarket options for wind protection, it is big (550#) but not super large for some city riding, 5.5 gallon tank and average mileage in the low 40's should give you some decent range of around 230 miles. It was Rider's bike of the year (September 2015).

As always, what may work for one, may not be the best for someone else. A few Ninja 250 have finished the IBR, also a "small" HD Sportster (1200 cc) with a peanut sized fuel tank.

http://ridermagazine.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/long-term-rides-2015-kawasaki-versys-1000-lt.htm/

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I ride my klr when I'm doing solo trips and the voyager when I have my gf on the back, the versys would replace the voyager, so I took my gf to look at one and as soon as she looked at it her face got a sour look on it, so I don't know what my next big touring bike will be now.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Rodney you are all over the place mate. A week or so ago you didn't want an aux on your Voyager because it would take too long to take it off when your girlfriend wanted a ride. Then you were going to LD prep your KLR instead. Now your girlfriend thinks the Versys is too ugly so you dont want to buy one of those.

Maybe there is some machine between the Voyager and the Versys that may suit the role, but if you want a dedicated LD bike you will have to come to a decision on just what criteria is most important. Issues like chain vs shaft, OEM electrical output, fuel range, luggage capacity, seat comfort often come into play. Consider your girlfriend's opinion on the looks of the bike by all means, but it is always going to be a compromise.

If a pillion seat auxiliary tank is in your dream plans for your LD bike, there is no reason why it can't be designed to get the tank on or off the bike in under 20 minutes. You may have to get your girlfriend to wait inside for the 20 minutes it takes to remove it, or more likely when you are planning (Planning with a capital P) planning to do an LD ride then take the time to set up the bike before the ride ("sorry honey, I'm on an LD ride tomorrow so I can't take you on a ride today as the bike is all prepped") and then after you have slept when you get home from the LD ride just pull the tank off and put the seat pillion back on until you are ready for the next LD ride.

It's not like you are currently doing an IBA ride once a week.

I've offered a couple of suggestions before but here is another idea to consider.

Buy an FJR1300. That can be your big bike. But no bigger than your Voyager. Nobody will dispute its LD credentials. Nobody. Your girlfriend will be very happy with the pillion perch. If her heart desires a cruiser then she may not like the looks of the bike, but it is just a fully faired sports tourer and not a quirky looking Versys (I've owned two Versys bikes, they are quirky). Put a GIVI SR357 rack on the back. That GIVI rack can either hold a top box so that the two of you can enjoy rides away together fully packed or with just a few minutes on the tools, you can replace the topbox with an auxiliary cell and ride your LD rides. The pillion seat remains available like this:

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I know I'm all over the place at the moment, both my bikes are paid for so they are what I'm trying to make work, from what I've read and talked to a mechanic, it'll be over a grand to do a tank on my voyager, when I seen they make a 10gal tank for the klr and it's $550, I thought that would save some money, but I don't think the klr could handle the interstate speeds for long periods, so my friend and salesman here in town offered to trade my bike and two grand for a concourse that only has 400 miles on it, I don't really like the riding position on the sport touring bikes, I like the klr's riding position, so fast forward to last week and I'm at the dealership ordering my gf some new gear for our June trip and showed her the versys with hard bags, her face said nope lol so the voyager has to stay for her and my trips, and will most likely be the one that I do the 50cc on, but if I decide to do a rally someday I'll get the bigger tank for the klr and use it, but yeah, I'm all over the place with bikes, I love them all and will get the right combo eventually. And I appreciate your help and ideas.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
The perfect bike for me would have a seating position like the klr, have a 7 gal tank, get 50mpg, have the storage like my voyager, but the weight of a sport touring bike, adj windshield, shaft drive, hydraulic clutch, ride by wire, hydraulic lifters, all that for easy maintenance, I'm really dreaming huh lol

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
When I bought my voyager it was between that and the concourse, looked at maintenance and cost, the concourse was I think 15 or 16 grand and my voyager is an 09 but I got it brand new in 2012, it was a 18k bike when it first hit the showroom and I got it for 10200 because it was 3 yrs old, but it's been a really good bike, but it's really heavy, especially when me and my gf pack it up for a week long trip, I'm still working on her about the versys, and she will cave lol

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
The perfect bike for me would have a seating position like the klr, have a 7 gal tank, get 50mpg, have the storage like my voyager, but the weight of a sport touring bike, adj windshield, shaft drive, hydraulic clutch, ride by wire, hydraulic lifters, all that for easy maintenance, I'm really dreaming huh lol
Sounds very close to the STEN to me.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Sounds very close to the STEN to me.
You're right Ron, the Super Tenere could be perfect.

Except, as an owner of a couple of Versys and a couple of Super Teneres there's a good chance that Rodney's gf would be just as horrified by the looks of the big Yamaha fully loaded.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
You're right Ron, the Super Tenere could be perfect.

Except, as an owner of a couple of Versys and a couple of Super Teneres there's a good chance that Rodney's gf would be just as horrified by the looks of the big Yamaha fully loaded.
Plus I'm partial to Kawasaki's, I'm good friends with the dealer here in town, and have been buying stuff from them since I was a kid. It takes me a long time to make a purchase, took me a yr to find the right truck, about 8 months to buy my voyager and over 2 yrs to buy my klr, so this ordeal could take a bit lol

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Rodney :

Look at a good used ST1300 - very affordable, reliable, big tank, good mileage, plenty of amps, OEM parts are less than other bikes, etc.

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Guys, don't discount the Triumph Trophy SE. I picked up a 2015 in January for under $16K.
It has a 6.6 gal tank and gets the high 40's when running in the 70's. On regular gas, too.
Very comfy. You sit up rather than forward like the RT or the FJR.
Shaft drive.
Cruise and audio (including SiriusXM).
I plan gas stops at 250 miles which is conservative.
950 watt alternator. Yeah, a big 'un.
Powerlet ports at left knee and pillion left cheek.
12v ports in glove box and top box.
USB port in glove box.
10,000 mile service intervals.

What's not to like?

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I like triumph, but like Ducati and bmw there are no dealerships around here, 10k mile service intervals won't work either, most bikes now either have 15k mile intervals, I like all bikes, I just go with what's convenient for me.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I didn't know there was one there, my boss rides a triumph and he said the closest dealer was Kalamazoo Michigan, I was just assuming that the closest one was in a big city, we used to have a Ducati dealer about 45 min from here but it closed.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Your right, it's at the new Indian dealership, that whole building is new, wonder if they opened it when Indian went in, may have to take a ride down there and see what they have.

Vanderwho

Premier Member
I'll second the idea of a Super Ténéré.

I rode a 2012 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom in the 2014 5-day MERA 5 & Dime rally and really appreciated the comfort an Adventure Tourer affords. Very reliable bike, too. But a point came where I wanted shaft drive enough to make a change. I had a five-month fling with a used 2010 FJR, then bought the 2014 S-10 I now ride. So far I've done an SS1K and a BBG on the bike, as well as some long days chasing Tour of Honor sites. It's a keeper. It has all of the V-Strom's virtues (handling, reliability, ergonomics), but none of its vices (e.g., poor fueling and chain drive). The Ténéré is heavier and uglier, and doesn't have the V-Strom's excellent OEM lighting, and the pillion seat is a torture device, but lights and seats are easily remedied. It gets much better fuel mileage, and the electronically controlled suspenders are a godsend on a bike that's used for both two-up recreational riding and LD adventuers. If you can come to see beauty in function, it's gorgeous.

My two cents' and all...