Welcome to the IBA Australia forum

Morning everyone. Spoons from Melbourne here, new forum member. Looking to do some research and then put down an Iron Butt ride or two. Been fortunate to ride some very big trips previously, but never recorded the ride. Looking forward to a few suggestions / recommendations and perhaps a good route from Melbourne for a Saddle Sore 1600. Many thanks, Spoons
Hi Spoons and welcome,

My first SS1600 was straight forward Geelong - Goulburn NSW - Canberra return total 1660ks. I thought that I'd make my first one relative simple and stick to main highways. Since then I have completed more challenging rides. It's always a good feeling to get the first one under your belt.

Do try and make it to Mansfield where you will meet many other Iron Butters and get some very useful tips. Unfortunately I am unable to make this muster, as I'm helping my son shift, but I hope to make the next one.

Stay safe mate.

Skidoo

Premier Member
Hi Spoons and welcome,

My first SS1600 was straight forward Geelong - Goulburn NSW - Canberra return total 1660ks. I thought that I'd make my first one relative simple and stick to main highways. Since then I have completed more challenging rides. It's always a good feeling to get the first one under your belt.

Do try and make it to Mansfield where you will meet many other Iron Butters and get some very useful tips. Unfortunately I am unable to make this muster, as I'm helping my son shift, but I hope to make the next one.

Stay safe mate.
Hi Spoons and welcome

As Rebel said, 'keep it simple'. FWIW re-read the rules ensuring you understand them and enjoy the ride!

Morning everyone. Spoons from Melbourne here, new forum member. Looking to do some research and then put down an Iron Butt ride or two. Been fortunate to ride some very big trips previously, but never recorded the ride. Looking forward to a few suggestions / recommendations and perhaps a good route from Melbourne for a Saddle Sore 1600. Many thanks, Spoons
Welcome Spoons.
I agree with the "keep it simple" principle for the first ride. My wife's and my first IBA ride was from Merredin WA (Start Witness) to Ceduna SA. (Finish Witness) We just needed to collect fuel dockets along the way. Many have done an out and back. A quick use of Google Maps shows Geelong, Pheasants Nest (Fuel both north and south bound) and return to Melbourne gives a little over the required 1610km. Many years ago, I completed an intra Victorian SS1600. Mildura-Ballarat-Wodonga-Ballarat-Colac-Port Fairy-Cavendish. Much more difficult. Plan well, then ride the plan.

Fatman

There is a 24hr petrol station at Wilton just north of Pheasants Nest, which can work as a good turn around / corner docket location. LTP and I used this location on the Centenary of Armistice Ride last year which worked well.

I would also suggest Spoons maybe adding a little km's to the 1615km just to ensure no short cuts can be found on Google Maps, maybe aim for 1640km or so??

Have fun on the ride Spoons..

hagar

Premier Member
Spoons, reach out and ask for assistance on your first ride. It’s not just the time and km but also the paperwork afterwards. Find yourself a ‘buddy’ by asking, it will make it so much easier.

Rusjel

Premier Member
O.k, the 'keep it simple" advice has been reinforced enough I reckon, although it is very good advice!

The other folks have the bases covered, but I don't think anyone has reminded you to enjoy yourself yet!

It would be a shame to just grit your teeth and get through, I hope it is one of the best experiences of your life. That happens when you keep the goal of completing the ride balanced with also keeping the goal of having fun in focus as well. Not everyone enjoys sitting on a motorcycle for 20+ hours in a day, but if you do, I hope we see you back here telling us what an amazing time you had and about all the cool stuff you learned about riding and yourself.

That's the important stuff! Ride well.

Gents, really grateful for all the solid advice received since I posted. Thanks to you all. One thing I am thinking about with this being the first ride is the time of year and reduced daylight at this time of year. I'm no stranger to crunching miles in the dark and the Yamaha is very well illuminated. Would you advise the first attempt being later in the year with more daylight...I'm not sure I can wait that long...….

Thanks once again

Spoons

Brookester

Premier Member
Gents, really grateful for all the solid advice received since I posted. Thanks to you all. One thing I am thinking about with this being the first ride is the time of year and reduced daylight at this time of year. I'm no stranger to crunching miles in the dark and the Yamaha is very well illuminated. Would you advise the first attempt being later in the year with more daylight...I'm not sure I can wait that long...….

Thanks once again

Spoons
It matters not...reduce speed in night time...you got 24hrs & it ain't a race...my last one was 23:42 on a KLR650 in cold temps..plan the ride, ride the plan

Biggles

Premier Member
Spoons
The main thing to consider about night riding is, of course, the animals, especially roos. If you plan to use busy roads like the eastern highways you should be right all through the night, including the key dawn and dusk periods. The Pacific Hwy is mostly fenced now. Some other inland roads are highly risky.

Hi Everyone,
I am Joymor and I now have my own IBA number. I received it for a SS1000 mile ride, as pillion, I did with Philmor in Texas USA last September.
It took Philmor far too long to lodge our ride application :(
I plan to do the occasional IBA ride with Philmor here in Australia and hope to see you on the road sometime.

Hi Everyone,
I am Joymor and I now have my own IBA number. I received it for a SS1000 mile ride, as pillion, I did with Philmor in Texas USA last September.
It took Philmor far too long to lodge our ride application :(
I plan to do the occasional IBA ride with Philmor here in Australia and hope to see you on the road sometime.
Welcome Joymor, finally you got a number! Plenty of IBA rides to be done here ;)