What does the group think of this sort of things?

http://carlreese.net/blog/index.php...acci-goes-coast-to-coast-the-hard-way-part-1/

Solo motorcycle record from Los Angeles to New York City
On August 28–29, 2015, Reese set the record for fastest solo motorcycle from Los Angeles to New York City with a time of 38 hours and 49 minutes. He departed from West Valley Cycle Sales in Winnetka, CA at 3:15 A.M.EST and arrived in Manhattan BMW Motorrad in New York City at 9:04 P.M. PST.[14][15][16][17][18] Reese insisted on notaries at both the start and finish lines, a first for transcontinental runs, who verified both his identification, engine number, odometer reading, and the VIN of the vehicle.[14] The vehicles he used were also tracked and verified by a third-party GPS tracking corporation.[14] Reese also submitted to voluntary urine analysis to prove to skeptics that his system was free of stimulants or drugs to help him achieve his endurance records.[18] The Transcontinental Drivers Association has also verified Reese’s documents.[14]

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
http://carlreese.net/blog/index.php...acci-goes-coast-to-coast-the-hard-way-part-1/

Solo motorcycle record from Los Angeles to New York City
On August 28–29, 2015, Reese set the record for fastest solo motorcycle from Los Angeles to New York City with a time of 38 hours and 49 minutes. He departed from West Valley Cycle Sales in Winnetka, CA at 3:15 A.M.EST and arrived in Manhattan BMW Motorrad in New York City at 9:04 P.M. PST.[14][15][16][17][18] Reese insisted on notaries at both the start and finish lines, a first for transcontinental runs, who verified both his identification, engine number, odometer reading, and the VIN of the vehicle.[14] The vehicles he used were also tracked and verified by a third-party GPS tracking corporation.[14] Reese also submitted to voluntary urine analysis to prove to skeptics that his system was free of stimulants or drugs to help him achieve his endurance records.[18] The Transcontinental Drivers Association has also verified Reese’s documents.[14]
Neither the Iron Butt Association nor the Guinness organization maintains such records. As Guinness puts it (and to which we subscribe),

"Records for driving between two cities, across continents, around countries, around the world etc. in the least amount of time are essentially races against the clock. You will understand that we simply cannot endorse records that encourage driving at ever-increasing speeds on public roads. For this reason we no longer recognize any records that involve driving against the clock on public roads in motorised vehicles of any kind (this includes motorcycles, and vehicles with a theoretical upper speed limit)."

In other words, such records encourage racing on public roads, something that we do not condone.

You will notice that all of our certificate rides are of the "level-of-effort" variety. So, for example, it makes no difference to us if one completes a Saddlesore 1000 in 18 hours or 23 hours and 50 minutes. Also note that we will not certify a ride where the average speed limit of the completed ride is significantly higher than the posted speed limit for the route.

As an aside, although this ride may have been well documented, it is impossible to say it is a record if times for other attempts are not known. So this sounds like a case of "this is what I did. Now someone needs to prove it is not the fastest time ever." To me, it's an essentially meaningless "record" and something that encourages exactly the riding behavior the IBA actively opposes.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ignacio

IBR Finisher
As Ira aptly describes, no way the IBA should get involved in these types of shenanigans. Tape a few 10 foot poles together and still not mess with them.

Those whacky folks that try and claim world records....and then post all over the internet about it. Be gone with them! Don't they know that those types of rides are best left to hushed rumor, pointless debate in basements of dank forums (not this place by the way), and sketchy innuendo?

thekaz

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For some people its all about recognition at all costs. The self proclaimed records, the blog traffic, the FaceBook likes.....I find the IBA is more about the riding which is what I prefer :D

It's a big world and there is room for everyone.

It's not for me. I wouldn't support it or encourage it by others.

While I am firmly in the camp that believes that speed is not an issue, poor driving and the pressure to make decisions with a "clock to beat", very much is an issue. There are other folk on the road and we should respect them (even the idiots).