What is your fuel window?

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I'd forgotten about the stupid Oregon stuff when we stopped for fuel on "Leg 2". The pump we were using was marked "SELF" so it didn't even register when the young man came up and asked if we had everything under control... Then some old gal pulls up on the other side of the same pump and gets out of her car and asks me, "Do we have to pump our own gas?" Told her I had no idea and asked if her side was marked "SELF" as well. It was... I think she finally got someone to pump her fuel for her...

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I stopped at a Chevron station in Portland at 3:30am this morning to top off before turning in a rental car. I always stop at the same place because it's close to the airport and open 24/7.

This time there was no attendant in sight. Two other cars pulled up around the same time. After waiting a minute I got out, filled the car myself, and proceeded to the airport. The other two idiots were still sitting there in their cars, waiting for the mythical attendant.

This is not my favorite thing about Oregon.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Does anyone know the reason why they do that?
Previous Governors claimed they wanted to maintain those jobs. In reality most stations cut attendants way back in '08 when the economy took a down turn and up until '11 when I moved, I hadn't seen any real increase in attendants at the gas stations I frequented. Some had 6 and dropped down to 2, for example. Still had 2 in 2011 when I left.

From the link kwthom posted, I now remember why I wasn't all that excited about the law taking effect in Jan.

the prohibition on self-service gas pumps was only lifted for counties with fewer than 40,000 residents. This includes 15 out of the state’s 26 counties. An additional three counties will allow self-service gas pumps between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. The legislation also allows, but does not mandate self-service pumps. Some stations have already promised that they have no intentions of getting rid of attendants any time soon.
So the larger cities still appear to have a ban on self service. with the three un-named counties allow it after 6 pm and before 6 am. I wonder if those three counties are the major metro areas, Multnomah, Clackamas and Washington counties?

The reasons why the practice is banned: https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/480.315

Astounding!

Oh, the three county exceptions: https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/480.343

"Clatsop, Curry or Tillamook County" - Along the coast.
Wow. So Oregon is the only state where it rains or snows and has older people or people with disabilities. They are also seemingly the only state where things like "Pay at the Pump" technology doesn't exist. Also, when someone gets an x-ray, the technician always leaves the room to go behind a barrier, since they are exposed to x-rays many times a day. I assume, then, that those dispensing this highly dangerous Class 1 Flammable Liquid are equipped with self-contained breathing apparatuses and wear HazMat suits? Oh, I see they are concerned about young people not having a job, working in such a dangerous industry. I wonder if they also allow kids to smoke and drink? Fascinating.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
And, perhaps of more relevance here... Oregon allows motorcycles to ride through red lights if your bike won't trigger the sensors.

Just. No. I can't handle the craziness anymore.

I am going to have to switch to a GSA to get into the back-country for when the shit hits the fan; my RT can only get me to its entrance. :)

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The reasons why the practice is banned: https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/480.315

Astounding!
Astounding is right! It amazes me how lawmakers can live such isolated lives to believe some of the stuff they believe.

Wow. So Oregon is the only state where it rains or snows and has older people or people with disabilities. They are also seemingly the only state where things like "Pay at the Pump" technology doesn't exist. Also, when someone gets an x-ray, the technician always leaves the room to go behind a barrier, since they are exposed to x-rays many times a day...
New Jersey still bans self service unless that changed while I was riding in the IBR. And in PA Xray techs leave the room or go behind a barrier

Back in the 90's when I lived in Nova Scotia, Canada I sure did appreciate full service at -20f in a car. I think they did it for people to have jobs back then.

Riding an 44 year old 4 carb bike on a recent SS1K, my MPG varied between 28.7 and 43.3. The 28.7 was at 70+mph. 43.3 was 55-60 mph on two lane roads. I have a 5 gallon aux tank plus the stock 4.1 gallon stock tank. Because of air gap the aux tank bone dry can only hold 4.5 gallons. With out dipping into reserve on the main tank, 3.5 gallons is usable. 8 gallons total gives me a range of 226-346 miles. When planning stops, average riding speed becomes very important.

I have done the run it dry test on both tanks. With my setup I can run either tank dry before switching. That is how I discovered I only have about 20 miles range on reserve.

-Mark

Back on topic: This thread has made me think about a 600 mile trip to check my fuel mileage. The bike says 49.9 MPG average, but not sure over how many miles it is sampling from. This is a 2016 FJR1300. So I'm estimating I should have about 300 miles/tank as it is a 6.5G tank, ut head winds, temps, speed etc. Will help when I plan my SS100 & BB1500. Right now I thinking I should have a 270 mile range, but we will see. Also if my actual mileage matches my onboard estimate.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
My FJ-09 samples fuel economy every 1km (0.62 miles). The FJR is probably similar; to check, just reset the Average MPG counter and them start riding. If it's blank until you hit 0.6 miles, then you have the 1km sample rate.

My FJ-09 samples fuel economy every 1km (0.62 miles). The FJR is probably similar; to check, just reset the Average MPG counter and them start riding. If it's blank until you hit 0.6 miles, then you have the 1km sample rate.
Thank you, good to know.