What kind of IBA rider are you?

What's your IBA ride preference?

• I like to play it safe! I know what I can handle and stick to those few rides.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I ride on the wild side! There's no reason to do the same ride twice. Gotta ride em all!

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Once and done for me! I'm proud of my certified ride, but it was crazy hard. I'm not doing another.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll do certified rides when I can and it doesn't matter if I've done it before.

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • I just like to ride to fun places or to good food and if an IBA cert happens then it happens.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • There is not any choice that is even close to what kind of IBA rider I am.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other, and I left a reply going into further detail about what I like to do.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Other, and I didn't reply.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • All of the above.

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

CB650F

Premier Member
I'm kinda curious again so it's time for another question. Now that I'm officially in the IBA, I find myself looking more to the unique rides rather than just another SS1000 or a Bun Burner. I'm a big science nerd, so the Space Chase 3000 and Earth to Moon rides seem like the coolest thing since sliced bread. Then there's all the themed rides that have you going from a particular city to another. It all seems like tons of fun, but I know everyone isn't like me. Heck, I'm glad everyone isn't the same. I'm sure there are some of you out there who stick with SaddleSore and Bun Burner rides and don't really care about riding from Heaven to Hell, or Billfish to Orca.

Let's have a poll. I know everyone won't fit perfectly into any of the categories, but pick the one that's close please.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I think you might need a little more experience before you can construct a poll.

We're all different. I'm sure there are plenty who just ticked the box with their first ride but the rest of us, certainly not wild, keep finding new tricks.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I know everyone won't fit perfectly into any of the categories, but pick the one that's close please.
Yet, I *have* ridden the same 'ride' (SS1000) more than once, but it's never been the same ride!

In fact, I have another variant of one I'd like to do later this spring. If successful, that would make a total of six of them.

There lies the intrigue of LD riding. Dozens, no, hundreds, of ways that a rider could do a thousand mile motorcycle ride. Making it interesting or unique is the challenge now.

CB650F

Premier Member
I think you might need a little more experience before you can construct a poll.

We're all different. I'm sure there are plenty who just ticked the box with their first ride but the rest of us, certainly not wild, keep finding new tricks.
I didn't realize there was a minimum number of certified rides required to include a poll in a thread. Sorry. Maybe you can tell me a bit about yourself and what kind of rides you like. I see you're in the UK. Have you done the Government 1000? Have you headed over to Germany for the 16/24 States of Germany ride?

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I guess technically I am a "one and done" rider since I have technically only completed one IBA certified ride. My number is 3277, so it was a while ago. I've done plenty of 1000+ mile days since, but none for official certification.

While I haven't pursued additional certificates, I am interested in this type of riding. I like to read others' stories, and I enjoy participating in LD rallies.

lakota

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The point is not how many certificates you have before starting a poll. The point is to look around and learn that the IBA is more than certificates. The number of certificates is not the definition of, or estimate of worth of, an IBA rider. I have 5 certificates with one pending. Many rides I do are for the challenge and not the certificate. I rarely submit documentation for my rides. I defy you, or anyone else, to tell me I am not a worthy of being called an IBA rider.

CB650F

Premier Member
Okay, fine. It seems as if people are taking offense to something about the poll, so I added some other options. If I missed your particular preferred wording, just tell me how you want it worded and I'll be happy to add a poll option just for you.

Honestly, it shouldn't be difficult to get a group of people to talk about what kind of rides they like to do, especially on a forum dedicated to exactly that.

thekaz

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Okay, fine. It seems as if people are taking offense to something about the poll, so I added some other options. If I missed your particular preferred wording, just tell me how you want it worded and I'll be happy to add a poll option just for you.

Honestly, it shouldn't be difficult to get a group of people to talk about what kind of rides they like to do, especially on a forum dedicated to exactly that.
I think you will find that we are all very diverse in our attitude towards long distance riding and we all have varying degrees of sarcasm

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Have you considered adding point values and availability constraints to your choices? I may be more inclined to pick one over the others if I thought I might gain a competitive edge for doing it in the middle of the night....

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I didn't realize there was a minimum number of certified rides required to include a poll in a thread. Sorry. Maybe you can tell me a bit about yourself and what kind of rides you like. I see you're in the UK. Have you done the Government 1000? Have you headed over to Germany for the 16/24 States of Germany ride?
It's not a question of "minimum ..."

You're a new IBA member. When I was a new IBA member I thought I understood all kinds of things that I now know I didn't. You are currently asking the questions that you think are the sensible ones but in, say, two years from now you'll look back and ask yourself how could you have thought those the right questions.

I have done neither of the rides you ask about, they don't particularly appeal to me; I'm not particularly bothered about accumulating certificates but I do do a fair chunk of riding each year, some of it in 1000 mile days, some not. I take advantage of the skills I have built up over the years to see more of the world than I might otherwise have managed so, for example, I have planned "day trips" across Europe this year but my most recent "certified" (sort-of) ride was 430 miles between sunrise and sunset on the winter solstice, I'm sure there are plenty who choose from the IBA's menu of choices but, if I want another certificate, I'll just make up a 1000 mile route and ride it wherever it goes. Doesn't always work; the last time I did that the ride was verified as 997.4 miles :( but that just means I'll have to go do it again :)

None of us are going to be offended by your questions, we all have very thick skins, we're just trying to help you understand something that I suspect only experience will get you. What rides do you have planned for 2020 and what sort of riding did you do before joining the IBA?

Last edited:

CB650F

Premier Member
It's not a question of "minimum ..."
Then what it is a question of? What experience do you think I need before I can construct a poll with your blessing?

You're a new IBA member. When I was a new IBA member I thought I understood all kinds of things that I now know I didn't. You are currently asking the questions that you think are the sensible ones but in, say, two years from now you'll look back and ask yourself how could you have thought those the right questions.
I have absolutely no idea where you're getting this idea of me from. I'm asking questions that I don't know the answer to. What do you think I'll learn in two years from now that will make me ask myself who I could ever have thought to ask other people with a similar interest as me what they like about that shared hobby? Fill me in on this mysterious knowledge so that I don't run the risk of daring to ask you a question that isn't up to your standard. Is there something inherently wrong about asking a seasoned rider why they ride?
None of us are going to be offended by your questions, we all have very thick skins, we're just trying to help you understand something that I suspect only experience will get you. What rides do you have planned for 2020 and what sort of riding did you do before joining the IBA?
And what is it that you're trying to get me to understand that will show me how very wrong of a question it is to ask about your riding preferences?

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Then what it is a question of? What experience do you think I need before I can construct a poll with your blessing?
You don't need my (or anyone else's) blessing

We are 60000 individuals; very, very few of us fit into neat pigeonholes which is what such a poll inevitably requires.

As my father used to say "you'll understand when you're older"

Namaste:)