What source(s) do you use to get IBA news and information?

What source(s) do you use to get IBA news and information?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm interested in knowing where you get news and information regarding the Association - or activities that may be indirectly tied to the Association (rallies, RTE's, et. al.) Please choose all that apply.

So, this is as a result of a conversation that took place over on the LD Riders email list, with a bit of lamenting that much of the commentary that took place during the running of the recently-concluded IBR seemed to some to have taken place elsewhere.

The question isn't necessarily tied to the IBR, but how do you choose to get information about rides, rallies, RTE's and the like.

NOTE: Not being done as part of any official IBA query - my own personal interest..

Thanks!

Last edited:

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Another 'nyet' to FB, so this forum, the LD Riders email list, and impromptu discussion threads on a couple of different motorcycling forums - including ADVRider.com

Ditto re: FB. I chose the LDR list and this forum, but I haven't yet become a regular here because all of the times I've checked it out in the past is seems pretty ghost-townish. I wish that wasn't the case, as forums are hugely superior to email lists in pretty much every way...so much easier to keep track of multiple threads, and also to look back at older posts/information if that is needed. It's also easier to completely ignore things that aren't of interest.

Anyway, just my $.02

Big FB user here. Much of the conversation has moved there. Some folks are religiously opposed to FB, that's their right. But that's where the conversation is, where my friends are, and so that's where I am. I happen to like the user interface, being able to tell a story (or read a story) visually alongside the words. I also use LDRider, still some conversation there.

I am not a big fan of forums any more so I don't spend any time on this forum, or ADV, or any other forum for that matter. Back when I was a forum user, the the IBA forum was really horrible...just slow and about 12 generations behind modern forum technology, so I gave up. Maybe it's better now? I'd like to participate in the MTF but Delphi is just annoying.

My wife recently completed the Scooter SS1000 Gold. The post on Facebook had over 200 reactions and many, many comments, both fun and congratulatory.

All internet forums, lists, social media outlets, etc can be frustrating and, at times, negative. Let's face it, the LD Rider email list has hosted its fair share of negativity in the past.

It's good that there is a variety of options and refusing to use one or all of them is simply a choice you are free to make. Just like the oil you use :D

JAORE

Premier Member
FB is my primary source. Yeah, I know, I know. But it is the "richest" source for general information.
I like this forum, but the posts are few and far between. I do place ride reports here as an attempt to contribute my share.
The LD Rider list works too, there is a high chaff to wheat ratio. But the wheat is very good indeed.

RickRussell

Premier Member
I post mostly to Facebook. My latest trip over 5000 miles wasn't an Iron Butt ride, as I took wife on her first LD ride, and still wanted to get along with her at the end of our trip. It didn't seem right to post on this forum. I do enjoy reading everyone's trip reports and seeing all the pictures you share. We did have a great trip out to PEI and Nova Scotia and she is getting great at logging at fuel stops, training for her first IBA ride.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I chose all. I get a lot of info from FB. It's currently the standard for sharing information and experiences.

I get a lot from here. But not all events are detailed here.

I see some mention of events on the ldrider list, and that usually prompts me to check one of the other sources.

Also, you didn't mention Jason Jonas's RideMaster site. I check that periodically.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
This forum and FB. I am trying to spend less time on FB though. I used to be on the LDR mailing list 15+ years ago, but I don't spend much time on personal email anymore so I'm hesitant to re-engage with any mailing lists. I really like the format of forums, I just wish this one were more active.

I wish this forum had more traffic, as I prefer a forum format than an email list. Not a Facebook fan, although I am there and do read stuff on the IBA page. I also check RideMaster from time to time, but as most of what is published there is not West Coast stuff, there's not much point (yeah, I know I could ride to the mid-west, Texas, or the East Coast, but there's so much good riding out here...)

jdg

armour783

Premier Member
I get my information about LD riding from all of the above. Mainly because that's where people are posting it.

There's this forum, which is pretty dead, but I check for new posts from time to time. And there's the IBA Premier newsletter. Which is nice to know about certain IBA events. But I'm more interested in rallys. And since the IBA only puts on the IBR, there's not much (if any) info on smaller rallys that I regularly participate in. Then there's the LD rider list, but good informational posts on the list are becoming few and far between these days. People are choosing less and less to post there and as such, list traffic is diminishing. I heard about the list in person and then signed up to follow along with the 09 IBR. I always remember there being multiple threads at any given time, on a variety of topics. This past year there were months where I wasn't sure I was even still subscribed.

I also follow multiple threads on ADVrider.
There's one about general LD riding, mainly various people's cert rides - Iron Butt Adventures https://advrider.com/f/threads/iron-butt-adventures.1187139/
One about rallying, but it gets less traffic - Road Rally nOOb - https://advrider.com/f/threads/road...lies-welcoming-more-road-rally-n00bs.1083792/
And every other year someone starts a thread about the IBR - 2019 Iron Butt Rally Thread - https://advrider.com/f/threads/2019-iron-butt-rally-thread.1384517/

And then there's the 2 main Facebook's groups. There's the Iron Butt Motorcycle riders group which focuses mainly on cert riding. And the Long-Distance Motorcycle Endurance Rallying group, which focuses more on rallying. But the topics from both bleed over into the other.

Facebook is where majority of action is. I suspect the reason for this is 2 fold. 1 is because there's so many people on Facebook already. If you're a part of any other motorcycle group, Facebook is going to put that little "ad" on the right side enticing you to join new groups that "may be of interest to you". That's not going to happen for anything else. I've never been on any website and seen an ad for the LDRider list. Just isn't going to happen. So instantly you get more eyes on the groups. The second reason I think Facebook is popular is because they make it so easy to share media. A picture is worth a thousand words. It's one thing to hear JD Smith talk about his R1200GS having an engine failure, it's another to watch the video of his engine grenading in the middle of the IBR that strikes at your heart. Yes some forums allow you to post photos, but it's not as easy. And it's sure as hell not as easy to share video as it is on Facebook.

That said I utterly despise Facebook. It's only good for real time communication. Good luck finding anything in the past. And that's the biggest problem. Any of the knowledge and wisdom that's being past on is instantly lost into the vast wasteland that is Facebook's algorithm on what it "thinks" you are interested in. Go ahead. Go try to find a specific response to a post that happened a couple months ago, let alone 2 years ago when the last IBR happened. It's impossible. This actually happened to me recently. Someone had answered a very specific question I asked (inside of another thread on another topic) and there is no fucking way I can find that again. I know what group it happened in. And I know it happened somewhere in the 2-8 months ago time span. But I'll never find it again because Facebook's search function is so fucking useless. That search would take me 2 minutes on any other modern forum like advrider, but it's near impossible on Facebook. Secondly, I find that the posts in Facebook groups also have a high fluff-to-useful content ratio. I stopped trying to read every comment on every post when I started to see that a single post was getting 100+ responses. I don't have time to read through 100+ "me too" comments that don't add anything to the conversation to find a couple gems of knowledge. And third, Facebook isn't going to be around very long. Don't believe me? Ask anyone under 25 if they have a Facebook account. Most don't. And the ones that do, don't actually log on anymore. I have 2 nieces and 2 nephews, ages 22 down to 8. None of them have Facebook accounts. They have other social media accounts, Instagram, etc. But not Facebook. Why? Their parents are on Facebook. It's not cool. Social media platforms are driven by user generated content. No users, no content. It won't happen immediately but eventually it'll die. Don't think so? Ask the Tom from MySpace and he probably thought the same thing. And all of the good content on fuel cells, hydration systems, tankbag nutrition, bonus hunting, rallying, LD riding, etc will be lost. Where as that same information on a modern forum would be easily searchable and archive-able for future use. Just my random thoughts.