What to eat night before Saddle Sore 1000

Newbie here planning to do my first Saddle sore 1000 on March 15. Going to be doing this ride on my Honda CRF1000 Africa Twin which has a several mods for comfort like Sargent seat, back rest, lowered pegs, highway pegs, atlas throttle lock, etc. I’ve done several 600-750 mile days and feel good about my plan to ride from NW Georgia to hill country in Texas. Question is what do you eat the night before a long distance ride?

Keith Hamlin

Premier Member
Did my first last year. I really didn’t do anything special for a meal the day before but I don’t eat a lot of junk to begin with. I’d say enjoy a great meal and get plenty of sleep. You’re on a great bike and I used a Sargent seat for mine.. worked great.

Make sure and get off the bike to refuel for safety and to stretch your legs each time.

Enjoy the ride!!

HACKLE

Maybe you could treat your food intake the same as marathon runners. They carbo load the two nights before running a marathon. When I was A LITTLE BIT YOUNGER and running marathons I made sure I had a nourishing pasta meal the night before a run. You could try this. It still works for me prior to a long ride as I don't eat a lot during the ride itself. I make sure I'm sipping plenty of water from my 2.5 litre drink container with sips from my drink bidden [cyclists water bottle] which is filled with a mix of THORZT [electrolyte] and water. I NEVER drink Gatorade or Staminade as they contain way too much sugar. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I try and eat light the day / night before a ride. I don’t eat anything special.

On a longer ride ( 3+ days ) I will eat pasta for a couple days leading up to the ride because during the ride I will not eat much, maybe once a day.

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
I have done several SS1000 rides and last spring did the 50CC. I don't eat anything special the night before and eat lightly while riding. During the SS1000 I always stop for one meal during the day and spend 20 -30 minutes eating and relaxing, then back on the bike.
Just enjoy what you eat and have fun.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
So here's some of what I do-

I'll get up a few hours before the ride so that my system will "wake-up" and evacuate itself. Once that's taken care of, I'll take an Immodium or two to slow things down because quite frankly, the last thing I want to do is to take a deuce in some of these gas stations. Many times I'll shower and shave before heading out.

When it comes to eating while on the road. I find it really doesn't matter just as long as you don't overdo it, either on quantity or on sugary things. I bring turkey and cheese sandwiches, several pre-peeled oranges, Pringles, Famous Amos cookies, and 3-4 bottles of Powerade (unless it's hot, then I'll bring two and buy more as I need). While I am gassing up, I can quickly eat a sandwich, along with an orange and some Pringles and drink some Powerade. The point is to rehydrate and to get some food in your belly so that a grumbling stomach doesn't become a distraction. You don't need to eat a lot- just enough to last to the next stop.

At each stop, I'll take off my helmet and jacket and walk around a bit. I'll use the restroom and wash my face and hands and run water through my hair to untangle it. I plan for 20-25 minutes per stop; there's no need to rush it (on a SS1K; other rides may vary), and the ability to walk around a bit and wash-up will make you feel like a new man. Unless you're a woman, then I can't say what you would feel like. :)

In my opinion; it is better to approach this from a lifestyle perspective versus a one-off event; unless this Saddlesore is the first and last you ever plan to attempt/ride. My point - changing your daily routine too much to accommodate a ride can have adverse effects. You know better than anyone else what foods/routine have a positive or negative impact on your performance the next day. If you plan to get up more than two hours earlier than your normal routine; it might be better to start experimenting several days out versus waiting until the night before. For example - I have started several rides a 2am which require waking up by 1am. For adequate sleep - this means trying to go to bed by 9pm which generally results in me tossing and turning for several hours and just getting up out of frustration and starting my ride already exhausted. I have learned to keep the swings to as minimum as possible. I'm generally up by 0400 during the week and can get up at 0300 with little adverse effect. Therefore it is now rare for me to start a ride prior to 0400 because I know what to expect from a performance standard and how far I can push until I need a break. It is always helpful to get input from others regarding their routine; but in the end - you have to figure out what works best for you. I think most people are capable of pushing through minor discomfort to complete a Saddlesore. However, when/if you start attempting multi-day LD rides you find out quickly it requires a different strategy to manage fatigue and recovery to string several or more thousand mile days together. Good luck, have fun; and looking forward to your ride report.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm much like Greg. I don't change much in my diet, but I do drink a bit more water. I think making changes to diet/exercise before long rides is a mistake because your body "knows" how to handle your normal diet. Making even small changes can effect how it reacts.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
If you've done any 'touring' riding...you know how you feel if you've eaten too much at a meal. You're goal is to mitigate that 'ugh!' feeling by NOT doing what would cause to to go 'ugh!' to begin with.

Once you've done a few of these, your mind & body will figure out the best way to not feel like crap...like the *one* meal a day trick.

Luck to ya!

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I don't know what Greg Rice is talking about above - he had us enjoying buffalo wings and deviled eggs in Jacksonville before a 100CCC
...and then he eats those surgery honey buns while on the road.
Well, many do recognize that Greg is one of the few that has that big red S on the front of his riding gear... :D;)