Where can I find the IBA fuel cell install rule?

OldCrow

Premier Member
Hello, I've got a Plastic 4 gal fuel cell from Summit racing mounted on the luggage rack of my 1981 R100RT. It gravity feeds the carbs then I manually switch to the main tank.
I've added supports off the saddle bag mounts to help with the tank load. I've got the tank centered using some angle aluminum but I just have a couple ratchet straps fore/aft to secure the tank to the platform on the rear rack. I've had an IBR finisher friend say no way is that good enough for Rallies.
Well I've been using it for a few thousand miles, including a Summer Solstice Single State SS1000 a few weeks ago. Everything seems stable.
I wanted to be able to remove it easily to access the under seat or simply to carry other junk.
So is there a "rule" or just a rule of thumb for the fuel cells? I'd like to be ready for my first Rally in 19 years coming up in September, as well as the fall Equinox :)
Thanks
Edward

mess533

Ron Messick, Independence, MO IBA#598
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
This should be a link to the latest IBR rules. http://ibr.wvi.com/ibr/_2017/IBR2017Rules.pdf. Appendix A, II, Mounting-3, Note 17; Venting-6, Note 19; Baffles-7; Grounding Strap Note 18. Maybe not the answer you're looking for but thats all I got. Watching tech at this years IBR, SECURE mount was stressed in the few I watched getting checked out as well as venting and grounding.

Remember, the precautions are for your safety and those around you.

igneouss

Premier Member
What he said...
I was at the IBR start this year. Aux tanks got a lot of scrutiny. More than a few people were making last minute changes so they would pass inspection. Basically, you need to have it mechanically attached to the bike, as in nuts and bolts or welds. Not straps. Also you need it grounded. Also you need a vent tube that would carry any overflow to a point out back and down low that does not come out near the exhaust or under the tire.... etc

OldCrow

Premier Member
THANKS ALL!!!! That was exactly what I was looking for! Seems I have a little work to do :( Oh Well it's all part of the fun. Actually I love working on bikes almost as much as riding. Thanks again.