Which CC50 Route?

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
I hope to do a CC50 this April from West to East.
I have plotted out 2 routes and need advice. The most popular seems to be the San Diego to Jacksonville via basically I-10.
I am considering Santa Monica to Savannah. I would jump up to Bakersfield and catch I-40 to Memphis and then angle down to Birmingham, Atlanta and on to Tybee Island.
Any bad things to consider about the slightly longer more northern route?
I have a K1200LT and easly get over 200 miles.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
The JAX - SDO is (a) shortest, (b) most traveled, and by definition nearly everything about the route is very well documented by many riders.

I think there's been a few that have been known to do Santa Monica - Jax by staying on I-10 almost it's entire length.

So, your route - albeit not a common route, may be just as good of a choice.

2380 is the mileage I did from JAX to SDO, for reference.

Rickr96

Premier Member
Santa Monica through Bakersfield to reach the 40 seems like the long way around to me. The 40 actually begins in Barstow, CA. Easier would be 10 East to Ontario, CA. Then 15 north towards Vegas. The 15 and 40 “split” in Barstow. If the idea is to avoid L A traffic, another options is north from LA to the 14 East. The 14 connects with the 15 in Victorville. Then it’s north the 15/40 split.

The last time that I was on 14, it was mostly two lanes busy with truck traffic (passing will get your heart rate up). Construction slow downs in the places that were being turned into 4 lanes.

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks. I will look further into the Northern route. I did the I10 route in about 2005 when I did the 4 corners ride. I will stop in San Antonio on the way home tom see my daughters and grandkids so that means I10 part way home. I was looking for something new. More interested in comments on the Eastern end of the northern route down through Atlanta.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I hope to be able to do one east to west in a couple weeks I have the go to San Diego for work. I tend to do things a little lose but the current plan is to leave here on the 24th and get to Jacksonville I actually want to do the Ride by starting on the Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay and End on the Submarine Base in San Diego. For a Subase to Subase C-C 50

Matt Hube

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I did close to the reverse of your route last year. I left from Tybee Island, GA and ended up in San Diego. The eastern part of the route is just fine provided you can get through Atlanta at the right time. When you get to Atlanta you'll be coming in on I-20. Hit I-285 to I-75 South. It's a short ride down to Macon where you'll get on I-16 which takes you all the way into Savannah. I-16 is lightly traveled compared to most eastern interstates. The ride from Savannah out to Tybee is a little slow, but not terrible.....maybe 20 to 30 minutes. If you catch that stretch in the afternoon on a weekday be prepared for alot of traffic and slow going. Most folks who live on Tybee work in Savannah, so there is a mass migration into Savannah in the morning and the same back out to Tybee in the afternoon. On weekends you have alot of traffic going out to Tybee to the beach, so that can be slow going as well.

The Memphis to Birmingham stretch is nice now that they've got 22 finished.

Have fun!

Matt

I hope to be able to do one east to west in a couple weeks I have the go to San Diego for work. I tend to do things a little lose but the current plan is to leave here on the 24th and get to Jacksonville I actually want to do the Ride by starting on the Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay and End on the Submarine Base in San Diego. For a Subase to Subase C-C 50
Weather on the east coast is looking a little challenging over the next few days - are you still targeting a start date on the 24th?

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
Neal,
Good luck if you try a sub base to sub base in the next 7 days or so. Weather could be an issue.

Matt,
Thanks for the advice. I will compare my route to what you suggested. Tybee will not be a traffic issue as I expect to arrive there between midnight and 3 AM local time. Shouldn't be any traffic.
I too have concerns about weather. I am in Southern Oregon and snow is predicted tonight above 4000 feet.. I have a room booked at both ends but can cancel the room in Tybee if I make the decision about 4 days in advance. If weather is looking bad or too cold with the more Northern route I have an alternate from Santa Monica to Jacksonville which keeps me much further South for the last 3/4 of the trip and is only about 80 miles longer. I especially want to avoid really cold weather and late night rain. At 71 I am slowing down because it is getting hard to see real well at night in rain.
I expect to leave Santa Monica at 3:00 AM on Sat the 14th of April. Time will tell.

I have a few 50CC Quest rides. As mentioned by others, SDO/JAX is the shortest and probably fastest. Most of mine have been SMO/JAX (because I lived near Santa Monica) which is about 100 miles greater in distance.

So leaving SMO on 14/Apr at 03:00.

There is a 24/hour (staffed) fuel station at 1801 Lincoln Blvd (Lincoln is a code name for PCH in SMO) which is close to the water and fills the requirement for a starting location. It is Exit 1 (A/B) on the 10. It is urban for seemingly 100's of miles but this is Callie so twist it and if traffic slows you can lane share.

Your GPS might send you on a brief run of the 60 through east LA/Riverside counties. Do or do no do, you can stay on the 10.

Be careful as you ride into the Palm Desert, there is a 60+ mile stretch with no fuel. Mp173, Chiriaco Summitt is a good place for fuel as this is it until you get to Blythe.

Once in AZ, you have a decision at mp 112. Take the PHX bypass or go through PHX. I always take the bypass. It adds about 11 miles but going into a big city has risks. I take AZ85 to the 8. Plus the 8 is a great road with a 75mph limit. I set the cruise at 84mph in AZ/NM.

Lots of fuel on the 10 in AZ/NM but pay attention. Western freeway speeds can consume a lot of fuel.

In NM there are so-called "safety corridors" where fines are doubled and enforcement is tripled. Slow down a bit.

At TX mp6 there is the option to take the "Trans Mountain Loop" a.k.a. TX 375. This adds 5 miles to your route and avoids 90% of urban El Paso. It is multi-lane divided the entire route. The speed limit is 55-65 but no one seems to care. The 10 through ELP is 60mph.

Once east of ELP in the mp-60's the speed limit changes to 80mph and there is not a single slow down until Kerrville (over 400 miles). This can really swallow fuel. There is plenty of fuel but pay attention. MP140, 250's, 365, 400 are all good fuel stops with multiple options. Just west of Van Horn you will enter the Central Time Zone.

As you pass by Kerrville you are in the middle west or at least not in the wide open west any longer. There will be more traffic and such for the rest of the ride.

I always take the Anderson Loop (FM 1604) around San Antonio but Houston is more of a puzzle. The SHT tollway to the south is an option (I have TXTag) but last time I did this run (2 weeks ago) I stayed on the 10. Approaching Houston WAZE is your friend.

In LA there is massive construction in Lake Charles with the 10 squeezed to a single lane. Garmin traffic management indicated a 99-minute delay - YIKES. Take the 210 bypass. It might look slow but in a couple of miles it will open up.

West of Baton Rouge is a slow zone over a swap (the whole state is pretty much a swap) with controlled and enforced speed. Be alert.

There is no loop around Baton Rouge which can be a serious shit show for traffic. Again, WAZE is your friend.

There is(was) construction in the tunnel in Mobile, AL, but there was not much traffic so good luck as there is no loop.

Once you cross into FL you are almost done. If it is dawn/dusk - there are lots and lots and lots of deer.

I use the GATE station on A1A (2520 South 3rd St, JAX Beach), staffed 24/7 and sells wine/beer until 02:00 and starts again at 06:00. Be super careful on A1A. The speed limit is 35mph and I have seen enforcement at 01:00. Easy to find, take the 10 to the 95 south and exit at Butler Blvd (a.k.a. FL 202) to the beach. Turn north and GATE is about 1 mile on your left.

Share a spotwalla link with us so we can follow.

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
Good advice. Thanks. I hope to do the Santa Monica to Tybee Island but will divert to Jacksonville if weather is looking to wet or cold. I plan my gas stops ahead of time, I plan in Streets and Trips and use Google Maps to find stations that are 24 hour. I also call a week inn advance to be sure they are all still open. I due carry a 1/2 gallon of gas for emergencies in two 1 quart fuel bottles that do not leak and are aluminum. I don't need a witness as I am a premiere member but I will re-read the rule to make sure that still applies on a 50CC.
Only 2/12 weeks away and it snowed here in Sothern Oregon this past Friday. Might have to go South.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Got to Kings Bay okay got the Fort Stockton Texas okay but I blew a tire don't know if I can get the tire fixed and get there in time actually sitting on an overpass waiting for the tow truck now

Got to Kings Bay okay got the Fort Stockton Texas okay but I blew a tire don't know if I can get the tire fixed and get there in time actually sitting on an overpass waiting for the tow truck now
With a little luck you should be able to complete within the time parameter. Good thing the tire happened during normal business hours on a weekday. Much better chance of getting back on the road sooner. I have had mechanical issues while on time limited rides. The best advice I can give is once the bike is at a service center - try getting a little rest, eat etc. so once it is ready; you can resume the trip.

DAMN. I hope you can get the tire replaced. Tell us more about the blow out? I assume not pluggable? Pictures would be fun. If worst comes to worst, try and salvage a BB1500 or SS2000

Last edited: