Which way should I go?

Matt Hube

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Coming through Portland, OR from north to south. I-5 or I-205?

From San Francisco to LA from north to south. I-5 or CA-99?

Thanks for any advice.

Matt

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
What time of day? Just kidding, traffic in Portland is terrible at all hours.

In theory I-5 is shorter, but if possible check traffic before you get to the 205 split in Washington. One route isn't obviously better than the other, it all depends on current traffic.

Also, if you're going through Oregon in the summer seriously consider taking US-97 instead. It's a lot more scenic, much of it has the same speed limits as I-5, and you avoid the traffic nightmare in Portland.

In California I-5 is definitely faster because you avoid Modesto and Fresno. CA-99 isn't particularly scenic either; just avoid 99 unless you need to visit a city along its route.

Matt Hube

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for the information. 97 does look intriguing, but I'm doing a 4 Corners Tour along with a cert ride and that may be a bit out of the way for me. I'll be "on the clock", so I'll need to make good time.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
In that case my recommendation to take US-97 is even stronger. From Blaine it is pretty easy to take I-90 east out of Seattle and pick up US-97 at Yakima. Stay on 97 all the way to Weed, CA. This avoids the metro areas of Tacoma, Olympia, and Portland which all have famously bad traffic.

I-5 in Oregon from Portland to Eugene can be a parking lot any day of the week. The speed limit is 55-65 and you'll be lucky to even go that fast.

Over on US-97 the speed limits are also 55-65, but with a tiny fraction of the traffic. I think 97 might actually have more miles signed at 65mph nowadays than I-5. The only cities you have to go through are Madras, Redmond, Bend, and Klamath Falls, and you can get through all of them pretty quickly.

The only time you can rely on I-5 being faster is in the middle of the night.

Matt Hube

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for the suggestion, Andy. Hwy 1 is on the list of roads to ride for sure, but I'll be in a hurry on this ride, so I'm going to have to save that road for another time.

Andy

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for the suggestion, Andy. Hwy 1 is on the list of roads to ride for sure, but I'll be in a hurry on this ride, so I'm going to have to save that road for another time.
If you're looking for the quickest route that would be I5.