Why a second satnav?

EddyC

IBA Member
Hi all,
Being new to the concept of riding long distances as part of an organization like the IBA, I very much like the idea and try to suck up as much of info as I can.
I *am* going for a 1600K with my R1200RT LC, but with the corona situation over here in Europe, I 'd rather wait a few months and see how the situation evolves.
Having seen hours of youtube infotainment vids, I noticed that a lot of riders use two (or even more) satnavs. I can imagine one is a backup in case something happens to the other, but I guess that can not be the only reason. Or is it?
I have used the search button of the forum, but I couldn't get a straight answer to my problem.
Any suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance, greetings from Belgium and stay safe...
Ed.

Last edited:

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Welcome Ed.

Everyone that rides rallies using more than one GPS will use them differently. Personally, when I was riding rallies, I had three GPS on-board at all times. Two were in use, one was along for the ride - in hopes it didn't get used as a backup.

One GPS was for routing, one was for the trip/data computer. All three were loaded with the same data. Once you get used to running two at a time, you generally continue to do so. As noted, I don't ride rallies any longer due to some health issues but I still ride long - and alone. Both my bikes still carry two GPS's.

AwDang

I’m a theme based LD rider. I also run 2 nav aids, 1 fixed mount gps and 1 phone based gps. The fixed mount is for my end of day goal and fuel calculator. While the phone does my gps current track. This allows me a quick heads up of remaining mileage/time for both the segment and the day.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi all,
Having seen hours of youtube infotainment vids, I noticed that a lot of riders use two (or even more) satnavs. I can imagine one is a backup in case something happens to the other, but I guess that can not be the only reason. Or is it?
Doing strictly certification (SS1600's, et. al.) rides, you really may not need any satnav system at all. It certainly can help keep you on the planned route ('plan the ride, then ride the plan') until that plan starts to unravel.

*Then* you have the ability to modify that plan in order to complete the goal.

For those that may not fully understand, rally riding is a competition that awards points for achieving various waypoints along a route that YOU derive. Plenty of other places here on the forum and elsewhere that can describe it further.

In that scenario, having an overall route on Nav 'A' and being able to research other waypoints that may have higher point values on Nav 'B' is part of the game that is played.

Martien

Premier Member
Hi Ed,

In a setup a bit similar to an RT, I have this on my K1600 GT.

TomTom has the best traffic and speedcamera/police info, MyRouteApp (on the Samsung phone) has the best way to configure and highlight stops and the BMW Nav V is used to record and view the tripcomputer. All run the same GPX file, but sometimes they will suggest different routes...

Picture is from a stop on the "4 Corners of the Netherlands" SS1600K ride, which I created for IBA Germany. You can find it on their website. ;)
En groeten uit Nederland (Noord Brabant).

3 nav on BMW.jpg

EddyC

IBA Member
Yo Martien,
Looks very nice. I suppose those are Wunderlich multipod fasteners with a RAM ball attached?
Smart solution. Looks handy too.
Great job on the 4 corners. Waiting for the corona situation (and the coming winter) to clear up ;-)
En groetjes uit de Kempen ...
Ed.

EddyC

IBA Member
Interesting!
Well at least you don't have to worry about a dashboard light in the dark!
I know she is not RT but could you post how this an that are mounted on the bike?
Seeking inspiration, you know.
Ed.