Will SPOT Tracking Ever Replace Witnesses?

I just checked and only 4 miles down the road from Manley MN is Rauks Hilltop Stop and Convenience Store which has 24 hour pumps and is in MN. I called the gas station a few minutes ago and confirmed.

Also I just did a google maps street view of the Manley Tire & Auto Service location and noticed that the pumps were the OLDER style with NO pay at the pump capabilities. I called the station and they confirmed that they do not print receipts at the pump.

Just my .02 cents
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. I had looked and looked for somewhere to get a receipt in Beaver Creek, but I couldn't find anything. You found somewhere in Beaver Creek! You got me. Rauks is not located right at the freeway exit - it's down the frontage road a little bit - that's why I missed it.

I knew that Manley's gas pumps were not available 24 hours a day. Not only that, for reasons unknown, they print their receipts as "Valley Springs, SD.", even though it is indisputable that they are located in Rock County, MN. If they would print their receipts correctly, it would be the best place to stop, if you did happen to get there when they're open.

So, with Manley unacceptable, and finding nothing in Beaver Creek, I re-routed the circle route through Hills, MN. Hills has two gas stations with 24-hour pumps and a bank with a 24-hour ATM. But, Beaver Creek is slightly better than Hills, because it allows using the freeway to get back to South Dakota, for a circle route. You want to go back into South Dakota to head down to Nebraska (clockwise route), because the speed limit on South Dakota's rural freeways is now 80 mph! That's a whole lot better than having a speed limit of 55 mph on a 2-lane road in Iowa, to get down to Nebraska.

See my posts under 'Quickest Route for a 48-10'.

-Chuck

Rusjel

Premier Member
I had the experience a few years ago of arriving at a town I'd researched in remote South Australia which a phone call confirmed had 24 hr fuel,but when I got there had no power for the pumps or the receipt.

I never bothered to follow that one up, but getting a photo, spot track and throwing myself on the mercy of the admins would have been my only options?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I had the experience a few years ago of arriving at a town I'd researched in remote South Australia which a phone call confirmed had 24 hr fuel,but when I got there had no power for the pumps or the receipt.

I never bothered to follow that one up, but getting a photo, spot track and throwing myself on the mercy of the admins would have been my only options?
Probably, unless there was some other place to obtain a receipt.

I should mention that a single missing or bad receipt, as long as it's not the start or end receipt, is generally not fatal as long as the rest of your documentation supports your ride claim. The disclaimer is that ultimately it's up to the verification team to make the call, so there may be cases where this is not the case.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Actually I like the idea of the printed receipts, it could sound old fashioned but it adds the spirit of adventure, planning and a bit of what if scenarios.
Last ride (only a SS1K inside of Maricopa County in Arizona), the gas station was closed, gas pumps locked with a chain and no open hour posted at the little store. Could wait 10 minutes or they might be permanently closed. A couple of photos with the bike and gas pumps, a log with odometer reading, photo of handheld gps, screenshot of Google maps...
Went back on I8 to Gila Bend and run out of gas only 1.5 miles from the gas station. Git a ride, got gas, walk back to the bike.
I calculated the non-supported distance and modified the ride at the very end to avoid any confusion and risk the certificate.
In these days if you don't have a photo or video it never happened.
Same thing for the IBA (I think): no receipt means you where not there.

Will SPOT replace the old fashioned printed receipts? I really hope not.

Vanderwho

Premier Member
Actually I like the idea of the printed receipts, it could sound old fashioned but it adds the spirit of adventure, planning and a bit of what if scenarios.
Last ride (only a SS1K inside of Maricopa County in Arizona), the gas station was closed, gas pumps locked with a chain and no open hour posted at the little store. Could wait 10 minutes or they might be permanently closed. A couple of photos with the bike and gas pumps, a log with odometer reading, photo of handheld gps, screenshot of Google maps...
Went back on I8 to Gila Bend and run out of gas only 1.5 miles from the gas station. Git a ride, got gas, walk back to the bike.
I calculated the non-supported distance and modified the ride at the very end to avoid any confusion and risk the certificate.
In these days if you don't have a photo or video it never happened.
Same thing for the IBA (I think): no receipt means you where not there.

Will SPOT replace the old fashioned printed receipts? I really hope not.
You may want to review the title of the thread.

chfnelson

Premier Member
So, are you saying that if the rider arrives in Manley at night, when Manley Tire & Auto is closed (and they don't have time to wait around for them to open), then there is no way that they can "count" Manley as a community in Minnesota, for the purposes of the 48-10, and they'll have to go somewhere else to document Minnesota? Is that the case? Even if the person has a SPOT device?
Not sure if you really want the information, but at the next town, Beaver Creek, MN the is 24 hr gas just off I-94.