Wind across Kansas?

And to top it off the mailman brought me a violation notice from Kansas for blasting through the K-Pass lanes (in both directions) with my NJ EZPass. I assume EZ Pass works everywhere. Will keep their damn notice with my Bun Burner 1500 cert. $39.75.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
And to top it off the mailman brought me a violation notice from Kansas for blasting through the K-Pass lanes (in both directions) with my NJ EZPass. I assume EZ Pass works everywhere. Will keep their damn notice with my Bun Burner 1500 cert. $39.75.
No, EZpass does not work everywhere. KS/OK/TX do not, FL (Sunpass) doesn't unless you get the NC Quick pass, I am sure there are others

Greg Farmer

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Whether Kansas or Nebraska won't matter as much as current weather patterns. They're both pretty flat. You could always check the forecast just before you ride. https://weatherstreet.com/states/u-s-wind-forecast.htm
Planning a ride at end of Sept from Richmond, VA to Denver, CO, to include a BB1500 on the way out. Need to be back home 6 days later.

The last time I rode across Kansas I swore I'd never do that again - they wind was terrible! The simple route follows I-70 from Kansas City, past Fort Riley, Hays, etc, into Denver and shows about 1690 miles. If I divert northwest from KC past Lincoln, NE, across I-80 to Big Spring, and back down I-76 to Denver, the adder is 70 miles.

Is it worth the extra 70 miles to miss Kansas altogether? And is NE wind-free? Or should I just tough out the 400 miles leaning over?

Thanks, Stuart
This wind map may be valuable for current wind conditions. Wind map

Greg, thanks for that link to the ”wind map”. I have never seen map like that is moving like that.

I too am planning a trip west to Glacier NP in late June. I am kicking around doing a BB 1500 in 36 hours going out. I sit and plot gas stops etc at this early stage knowing that the day I leave could have so many variable that one can not account for at this time. Wind, storms, traffic, construction are just some of the variable. The known is I have room reservation July 3rd in Glacier NP.

I have been thinking about “wind” effects. I was in windy conditions on run from Las Vegas to Zion NP On I-15 around Mesquite, NV. It seemed to stop once inside Virgin River Canyon several years ago.

Last edited:
Greg, thanks for that link to the ”wind map”. I have never seen map like that is moving like that.

I too am planning a trip west to Glacier NP in late June. I am kicking around doing a BB 1500 in 36 hours going out. I sit and plot gas stops etc at this early stage knowing that the day I leave could have so many variable that one can not account for at this time. Wind, storms, traffic, construction are just some of the variable. The known is I have room reservation July 3rd in Glacier NP.

I have been thinking about “wind” effects. I was in windy conditions on run from Las Vegas to Zion NP On I-15 around Mesquite, NV. It seemed to stop once inside Virgin River Canyon several years ago.
If you have never been to Glacier it will be a great experience. If you have been there before you'll still enjoy it. I was rode through there a few years ago on my way back from Yellowknife. It seems like yesterday. On my way home I accidently (did not plan for one), almost had a SS2000 Gold, missed by 20 minutes. There was a lot of smoke but it was still beautiful.

Two of my buddies rode through there on their way to Prudhoe Bay in mid June 2017. They were the first ones in line for the first day the roads were cleared of snow. So yes weather will be a consideration.

I hope I can get back up there before my clock stops.

Special Wing

Premier Member
Jerry, never been to Glacier NP and looking forward to it. My wife plans to fly out and back. I think fly in to Kalispell, MT. I am lobbying for flying out of Idaho Falls, ID or Billings, MT as I want to get down in Yellowstone NP area while out there.

My clock is ticking (67) too and we are not guaranteed tomorrow, especially taking 900 lb motorcycle 5,000 mi r/t ”tomorrow”. So not sure how many more times I will get opportunity.

Am digressing from the thread topic. Wind. If wind is an issue I hope it’s a headwind and less of crosswind. Will just have to deal with issue(s) at hand.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Is a little breeezy in northern NoDak this morning:

Temperature: 0.0°C ( 32°F)
Winds: 260 degrees at 38 MPH gusting to 56 MPH

It would be a good day to be traveling exclusively in an easterly direction.

:eek: