Winter solstice 2022-12-21

Capt Sisko

Okay, call me slightly mad, but I'm seriously considering doing this, so what's the plan? Obviously hotel in Peterhead on the Tuesday night (and I'm happy to book the same hotel as others if that's viable), breakfast, meet up and ride to the far side of Skye, then what? Are we collectively booking into a pub in Portree or somewhere close so we can put the world to rights over a few beers and real fire or what is the plan before we head off the next morning?

P.S. I'll be starting off from Shropshire and would be happy to meet up with others enroute to ride up as a team.

Last edited:

Ian M

yep meet the night before, unless you're local, picture as group at sunrise, make your own way to the sunset point, picture as a group, off back to a hotel for dinner or make your own way home if your local, then home the next day

i looked up some places in Peterhead not that mnay and i looked up some places in Skye - seemed to be expensive as they are probably wanting "christmas in scotland trade" not a bunch of slightly nuts bikers for one night

there appears to be a shortage of travel inn style accomodation, which tends to be a little better on cost rather than a boutique hotel/pub, in both locations but i only had a brief look

i'll be starting around junc 19 m6

Exgreen064

So I am still looking at this.
A few of hotels within a couple of miles of the Port Authority (Waterside Hotel, Harbour Spring) that are reasonable with on site restaurants, and what looks like safe parking.
Then Portree is only about another hour away from the finish and you have a couple there too (The Skye Inn, Coolin View).
Got a nice short 550 mile ride starting in Wiltshire.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
It's not too late folks, there are many more IBA members in need of a proper winter outing. They'll be signing up here shortly.

Firstpeke

FYI There's a few reasonable places in Kyle of Lochalsh and Kyleakin just over the bridge on Skye... of course prices may vary quite widely.