Winter Solstice SROTY 2024-12-21

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
The Shortest Ride Of The Year takes place on the shortest day, the Winter Solstice, and in 2024 that's Saturday, 21st December.

Ness Point, Lowestoft (52.4801419,1.7613061) Sunrise 08:01
Whitesands beach, St Davids (51.8970145,-5.2943866) Sunset 16:12

1. Bob Stammers
2. John Roberts
3. Ian Manson (more than likely)
4. Ian Murat (subject to youngest's birthday plans)

Last edited:

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
2. JohnR

We should have discussed proposals for the 2024 ride Friday night. How about Lowestoft to St David's?

Ness Point Euroscope, Gas works Way, Lowerstoft sunrises at 08:01
Whitesands Beech Car Park (B4583), St Davids sunsets at 16:12

With waypoints added at Diss and Hay on Wye I calculate that to be 367 miles/7¼ hours, that gives ¾ of an hour for fuel and comfort breaks.

Last edited:

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
2. JohnR

We should have discussed proposals for the 2024 ride Friday night. How about Lowestoft to St David's?

Ness Point Euroscope, Gas works Way, Lowerstoft sunrises at 08:01
Whitesands Beech Car Park (B4583), St Davids sunsets at 16:12

With waypoints added at Diss and Hay on Wye I calculate that to be 367 miles/7¼ hours, that gives ¾ of an hour for fuel and comfort breaks.
In Wales, with all those 20mph limits....

Ian M

Good route nice run along the northern edge of the Brecon Beacons.
There’s Honey Cafe, Bronllys and Owl Nest at Llandovery they might be better waypoints than Hay on Wye.
20s not a concern, some of the towns and villages on route you’ll be hard pressed to do 20 anyway as they get busy, plenty of dual and motorway (a11, a14, m6, m42, m5) to make progress
Put me down provisionally, subject to youngest’s birthday plans

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
If we're agreed on Lowestoft to St Davids then my (running on vapour) fuel stops will be:
The Murco Garage at 3 Malvern Rd, Worcester WR2 4QR and Haverfordwest Tesco, Fenton Trading Estate, Portfield, Haverfordwest SA61 1BU
Waypoints at Honey Cafe Bronllys and Owls Nest Llandovery added too

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
We'll have about an hour for fuel stops and comfort breaks, plenty of time with no hanging around for sunset at Whitesands.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
We'll have about an hour for fuel stops and comfort breaks, plenty of time with no hanging around for sunset at Whitesands.
Not if going via Diss and Hay unless very serious "progress" is being made (according to Google)

Last edited: