Wiring a kill switch for aux lights

Ninemmsig

Premier Member
I installed these Pathfinder LED aux lights two years ago on my ’13 GL1800. They are always powered on, there is a single LED on the toggle on/off switch that turns green when the lights are activated, red when they’re off. I left my bike at my brothers house for 2 months (forgot to plug it into a tender) and when I returned to pick it up, the battery was dead. Since then, I have disconnected them from the battery until two nights ago; I’m planning a 50CC ride shortly. I’d like to wire a kill switch into the wiring for these lights so I don’t have to keep it plugged into a tender. I see the manufacturer says they only draw 1.8 amps each (presumably when ‘on’), my question is what type/size of switch is needed? 5 amp? 20 amp? Some other solution to stop the draw? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Attachments

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have a separate fuse panel the is on a relay from the battery. the relay is triggered by the bikes assy circuit that way it all shuts down when I turn off the key. During a ride at fuel stop etc. I turn the ley to the Assy positon to stop the engine while keeping the electronics powered up.

You could however use a relay just for the lights the same way.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A simple cheap 10 or 20 amp relay wired to a low amp trigger wire is all that is needed. Power on, trigger fires the relay which let's full power flow to the lights, power off, relay opens and shunts the power to the lights.

Any trigger will do, running light from the brake light is enough but really any wire what has power with ignition on and not when off will work. It isn't pulling much power, no wiring harness or fuse concerns. Easy stuff.

Jay Bolinger

Premier Member
I am a big fan of the skene dimmer / controller that has a built in relay so that it is switched. https://www.skenelights.com/online-store/Auxiliary-Light-Dimmers-c22720603

They also sell a separate switch IIRC.

Alternatively, using a simple Fuzeblox can provide you multiple switched or unswitched circuits. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...eblocks.com/&usg=AOvVaw0n5UJoG-tCuImjGRtMiSLs

Either way, you still need to ID a switched 12v circuit on the bike and a wire from the high beam circuit for the skene controller. Once you find these, I think you will be very pleased with the results.

Ninemmsig

Premier Member
I’m going to take the seat off and start hunting Saturday afternoon, after I get new tires installed. I’ll let everyone know how it turns out!

Ninemmsig

Premier Member
[QUOTE="Alternatively, using a simple Fuzeblox can provide you multiple switched or unswitched circuits. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjIl6OxzNL1AhUEk4kEHTNVAVYQFnoECAgQAQ&url=https://www.fuzeblocks.com/&usg=AOvVaw0n5UJoG-tCuImjGRtMiSLs
[/QUOTE]

what gauge wire is necessary to attach the fuse block to the battery and the block to the switched circuit? 8ga? 10ga? I was looking at fuse locks.com, but there isn’t guidance regarding the connecting wire from the battery and the block doesnt come with one that I saw.

Russ Black

Premier Member
Another option is to get one of those switch boxes that go on top of your front brake/clutch fluid reservoir. I have one on my GL-1800. These boxes normally have three switches. I only use two on mine. One is for the GPS and phone and the other is for the Accent LED's. That way the GPS will not cycle off during fuel stops and need to find the satellites each time I turn the bike back on as well being able to charge the phone without turning the bike on. The switch to my AUX Lights is the same as you described and I guess I could wire them into the third switch, but I salvaged the switch box off another bike and only put small gauge wire in it. I don't know what the original gauge of wire was and this message got me thinking that I might rewire my switch with a heaver gauge the next time I have my bike apart. I do have a plug for a battery tender on each of my bikes, but I have never plugged one in as I live in Texas and I ride my bikes all year long.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
what gauge wire is necessary to attach the fuse block to the battery and the block to the switched circuit? 8ga? 10ga? I was looking at fuse locks.com, but there isn’t guidance regarding the connecting wire from the battery and the block doesnt come with one that I saw.[/QUOTE]

Depends on how many amps your gonna run through he fuse panel, but I'd use at least 12, ideally 10 guage.

@Ninemmsig, you can get a wiring harness along with the fuze block from the website. It might be a little more $ than buying all your own wire, but simplicity has value. I am not an electrical expert, but gauge size depends on length and the amperage you are trying to handle. I don't think you are trying to switch large amperage circuits, so smaller gauges can be used (12 or less). Heck if it is just the LED lights, per your picture, they only draw 1.1 amps each, so tiny wires are ok. Me? I usually use 14 and 16 gauge wire on most of my circuits. I have used 12 gauge for the feed from the battery to the block. Actually, I think their wiring harness is 12 gauge for the battery feed and 18 for the switched feed. See pic from install instructions.

Attachments

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I used the accessory wire under the left fairing pocket, a taillight wire would be fine for lights but I wanted my GPS's to work with the key in the Assy position.

Ninemmsig

Premier Member
@Ninemmsig, you can get a wiring harness along with the fuze block from the website. It might be a little more $ than buying all your own wire, but simplicity has value. I am not an electrical expert, but gauge size depends on length and the amperage you are trying to handle. I don't think you are trying to switch large amperage circuits, so smaller gauges can be used (12 or less). Heck if it is just the LED lights, per your picture, they only draw 1.1 amps each, so tiny wires are ok. Me? I usually use 14 and 16 gauge wire on most of my circuits. I have used 12 gauge for the feed from the battery to the block. Actually, I think their wiring harness is 12 gauge for the battery feed and 18 for the switched feed. See pic from install instructions.
Splendid! I think I’ll get their wiring harness and fuse block. I may try to hook up some heated gear to the setup as well, but I’ll have to see what that looks like when it arrives.

Ninemmsig

Premier Member
I used the accessory wire under the left fairing pocket, a taillight wire would be fine for lights but I wanted my GPS's to work with the key in the Assy position.
I like this idea as well, but I’ve already got the wiring down to the battery for both the gps and lights. Maybe if I add something else in the future, though!

9MM, using a fuzeblock for heated gear is absolutely possible. However, heated gear will be on the higher end of the amperage needed, so adjust those wire sizes accordingly. Amps = watts x volts. My gear has the following watts pull:
Jacket 90
pants 48
gloves ~40
socks or insoles ~20
Hypothetically, If I am running them all at the same time, that is about 200 watts pull or 15amps at 13.8 volts. In this case, I would use 12-14 ga wires for the gear connection. Here is a wire gauge reference or you can probably google a better one:
http://www.offroaders.com/technical/12-volt-wiring-tech-gauge-to-amps/

I predict that you will be re-wiring your aux lights and gps (and other farkles) to the fuze block rather than the battery in the future....

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I'm still waiting for someone to mention a good location for mounting an FZ-1 Fuzeblock on a Gold Wing.

Seriously, I have an FZ-1 that I'd like to install on my Wing, but I'll be damned if I can find a good place for it. I suspect that @Ninemmsig will have the same problem.

Ninemmsig

Premier Member
I'm still waiting for someone to mention a good location for mounting an FZ-1 Fuzeblock on a Gold Wing.

Seriously, I have an FZ-1 that I'd like to install on my Wing, but I'll be damned if I can find a good place for it. I suspect that @Ninemmsig will have the same problem.
If I get one and solve that issue, I’ll post the solution!

Auburn

Premier Member
I'm open to suggestions on where to mount an FZ-1 Fuzeblock on a Gold Wing. I can't seem to find a good spot for mine.
I put my fuse block in the compartment where the CD player would go in the trunk. I have my fuse block and J&M thumb drive in there will lots of room left over. I drilled a hole out of the compartment to route wires under the passenger seat along the frame. I have my whole fuse block powered through a relay

I have also seen them mounted to the back wall on the inside of the trunk too.