Wonky Nav VI on '16 RT

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
So I have, at least for now, a '16 RT with GPS prep and the Nav VI.

What's happening is that as I am riding along, the screen starts going berserk- it's acting like a million inputs are being sent to it rapidly. The items on the screen jump all over the place, the zoom maxes-out, touching the screen mostly doesn't do anything and flipping through the various GPS pages via the thumb wheel doesn't help.

My remedies in the past have been to remove it from the bike and really wiping-down the screen. Most of the time this seems to work, but sometimes it'll happen almost right away. As suddenly as it happens, all of this weird behavior will just disappear. I can go for a year without an issue but then have it happen three times in a week.

I am wondering if there is a problem with the Wonder Wheel and the connections in the dash for the Nav VI and somehow errant signals are being sent to the GPS? I am leaning this way because my first Nav VI behaved like this and I laid the blame at its feet and Garmin replaced the unit, but now I see that didn't help...unless there is something goofy about the Nav VI in the first place causing these issues.

This issue really reared its head while running the Leap Year 1500; I was nearing Dallas and getting ready to take the bypass to ride along its eastern border when the GPS went completely bonkers for a long period of time, causing me to miss an exit. This behavior would happen several times during the ride.

Anyone else have this issue?

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Common issue, called screen ghosting caused by defective hardware on early units, call Garmin they will send you an updated unit even if out of warranty.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
Just a quick update- Garmin isn't even insulting its users by asking them to do some "troubleshooting" before authorizing an exchange, which is nice.

It also seems that refurbished units will still fail, so if you get one, send it back. Finally, the current hardware version is V8; I bought my first Nav VI in May 2017 and it was replaced within about 8 months and my current unit is HW V5, so just a few revision behind.

Last edited:

HDConvert

Premier Member
What's happening is that as I am riding along, the screen starts going berserk....

Anyone else have this issue?
Yep... exact same issue. I tried reloading maps and doing my own 'troubleshooting'. Nope. Still happened. Called Garmin and explained everything. They tried talking me thru some steps and I explained that I had already attempted. They immediately sent me a return confirmation code and I returned the Nav IV. Got a new one (refurbished?) in the mail pretty quick. No issues since (knocking on my hard noggin for good luck).

Yep... exact same issue. I tried reloading maps and doing my own 'troubleshooting'. Nope. Still happened. Called Garmin and explained everything. They tried talking me thru some steps and I explained that I had already attempted. They immediately sent me a return confirmation code and I returned the Nav IV. Got a new one (refurbished?) in the mail pretty quick. No issues since (knocking on my hard noggin for good luck).
Yeah I couldn't tell if mine was refurbished or not either.

One thing I was realizing (after reading about the new Zumo XT), is that the space allocated for the Nav VI on the RT is pretty small, so if Garmin comes out with a Nav VII, then it'll have to be the same size to fit in there or else we'll have to mount it elsewhere.

Dann

I just received a replacement for my NAV VI which was only two months old.
It didn't solve my issue which seems to be software related. (I cannot add a custom POI icon to the "Whete to" page if the text language is set to French)
Software version: 5.8
BMW Motorrad:13

I just received a replacement for my NAV VI which was only two months old.
It didn't solve my issue which seems to be software related. (I cannot add a custom POI icon to the "Whete to" page if the text language is set to French)
Software version: 5.8
BMW Motorrad:13
I am guessing that's your primary language? Kinda reminds me of that old joke:

Patient: "Doc, every time I hold my arm like this, it hurts."
Doctor: "Well don't hold your arm like that!"