worth a look at

Roadbandit

Hi all. Thanks for having a look. The ride plan was sound and doable.
Arrived at Mt Garnet for Thommo to discover the peninsular development road had done a number on his rear shock so he pulled the pin.
Myself Ed and Russ were about to launch into the night until Ed thumbed the starter on the mighty Kato to be greeted with a death rattle. We're all holed up in Mt Garnet, all well and a bit disappointed.
Next time

Ed.

Premier Member
Not happy Jan.

Edit; actually only not happy with the ending. Pretty happy with the start and how we were travelling. Ferry to Lakeland in just over 8hrs set us up pretty well. I had a bit of a gps snafu just before we got to mt garnet that cost us a bit of time but nothing that couldn't be saved over the next couple of days(lovely little dirt track for a weekend bumble but not cool when on the clock...). And we were all feeling pretty good about it all. Gutted to end it like this, we've been working on this for quite a while.

Last edited:

Skidoo

Premier Member
Man what a bugger, I got up early to check you guys out.

It was a great adventure guys, 'that' road is really hard work on both machine and body especially when you are on the clock!

I understand how much prep would have gone into the ride but that's an excuse to give it another go soon.

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Not happy Jan.

Edit; actually only not happy with the ending. Pretty happy with the start and how we were travelling. Ferry to Lakeland in just over 8hrs set us up pretty well. I had a bit of a gps snafu just before we got to mt garnet that cost us a bit of time but nothing that couldn't be saved over the next couple of days(lovely little dirt track for a weekend bumble but not cool when on the clock...). And we were all feeling pretty good about it all. Gutted to end it like this, we've been working on this for quite a while.
Credit to you all for being out there riding. There is no failure, just opportunity for the "next time".

thommo

Premier Member
IBA Member
Short as it was, what a hoot! The olhins tech and I will be having a chat.....
The ride plan was good and sound, our execution of it could be tweaked slightly to improve our times but overall we were hitting our targets whilst riding well within ourselves. The new 30K DR engine doesn't have the same top end as the old 200K engine but it was still punching along happily as DR engines do. With the exception of the shock failing the rest of the bike was performing perfectly and considering a little over 6 weeks ago it was barely more than a frame...
Since the dustybutt I've barely done more than 500km in a day once, and probably 500km of dirt all up in that time but all the thinking and planning for my fatigue, hydration, energy, physical and mental management plans were paying off in spades, swagging in subzero temps on the way up and cruising in 1000km days in day light hours without blinking.
rolling back into qld for the first time in about 4yrs was good for the soul and hitting the dirt up there felt like old times.

Set a date and go up again. Can't wait.