Zumo 590 computer connection issues

Ed.

Premier Member
For ages I could simply plug in my zumo 590 to any usb socket and it would happily connect and update/transfer data etc etc.

Then suddenly the computer stopped recognising it as a device. I have got around this for awhile by loading routes onto the memory card and importing them that way, but of course this doesn't solve the updating issue. This has been going on for quite a while now with me intermittently doing more research and trying different (and repeating the same...) things.

From my reading it seems that it is not an unheard of problem, but I haven't found anything that provides the ultimate solution. I have tried different cables, computers, bought a new battery for the GPS(fully charged). etc etc etc

This week I came back to it again and had a minor success with a powered usb hub in that it intermittently connected but then would drop out again (no physical movement of cables or gps/computer)

Has anyone had similar problems and had a successful, reliable solution?

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
How is your battery, I have a 595 and have had some issues with it when the battery is low. Also if you have it connected to switched power it doesn't automatically turn off when you secure power, they seem to go into some sort of sleep mode but still stay partially powered so they turn on faster when you restore power. To actually turn them off you have to hold the on/off switch until you get a screen asking you turn it off. I think most of the Garmin operate the same. If you don't over the course of a few hours or days depending on battery charge they will kill the battery.

You could try a generic fix. Had a different model Garmin lock up on me. Ended up opening the case and unplugging the battery. Pushed the power button to fully drain the capacitors. Plugged the battery back in and reassembled. It fix the issue.

-Mark

Ed.

Premier Member
Thanks for the ideas, yeah as said in the op I have made sure battery power is good - right up to buying a new battery for it. I haven't tried pushing the power button with out the battery in it but it has sat without the battery for a little while....but at this point i'm willing to try anything!

Firstpeke

I would go into settings>apps and stop Garmin Express auto starting, restart and see if that makes any difference.....

There are reported issues with connectivity related to this.

Even in the situation with GE set not to start I still have issues with connection, especially since installing the Win 11 upgrade..... annoying little functions are in there.... but getting used to the foibles.

Remember Microsoft gives you what they believe you need, not what you want.....

Another annoying issue I experienced is that if you have not restarted your laptop/computer for a while, time frame unknown, this can cause some issues, as can not fully powering down the Garmin device and restarting it.
Of course you MUST use a proper Garmin USB cable too....