Saddlesore 1000 Application question

Hi,

I did the Saddlesore 1000 challenge on Oct 27 this year, from Clearwater FL to Cartersville GA and back. It was raining non-stop on my way up there, and it was cold as hell, but boy I did it!

I sent in my application to [email protected] on Nov 2, and I got an automated response from Michael Kneebone immediately. But it's been almost 3 weeks now, and I haven't heard anything since. Am I missing something? How long does it usually take?

Also, what is the PayPal address that I have to send the money to (for the ride certification, pin/badge etc.)? Is there a way to check the status of my application? I even tried to sign up for Premier membership using the links elsewhere on the forum, but at the final checkout page on that store I get an HTTP 500 error.

Please help! Thanks!

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Congratulations on your achievement!

I will simply answer a couple of pertinent questions: "How long does it usually take?" "Is there a way to check the status of my application?"

The simple answer - this is a common concern for those just starting out. The process does take time, but recall, there will be scores of other riders that have done the same, and it can take several weeks for your position to bubble up in the queue to be 'next' to certify. As long as you have the auto email saying it's been received, nothing to do now but wait. Nope, no means to check the status - other than knowing it's in the queue. My highly uneducated estimate might be another few weeks. Please note, the calendar works against those that submit now, as things tend to slow a bit as the great folks that actually do this work in the background take some time to celebrate the holiday season with family and friends.

Premiere membership does have additional perks, but those rides are submitted via a different email address. A different team of people will certify the rides of those with Premier status.

The remaining answers will come from IBA leadership - most likely @Ira

It was a busy summer, especially with the IBR and the eclipse rides. I've been watching folks post their certificates over on the Facebook group and current wait times are between 3 and 4 months. It looks like folks who submitted in August are just now getting processed. Patience is harder than the ride.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Hi,

I did the Saddlesore 1000 challenge on Oct 27 this year, from Clearwater FL to Cartersville GA and back. It was raining non-stop on my way up there, and it was cold as hell, but boy I did it!

I sent in my application to [email protected] on Nov 2, and I got an automated response from Michael Kneebone immediately. But it's been almost 3 weeks now, and I haven't heard anything since. Am I missing something? How long does it usually take?

Also, what is the PayPal address that I have to send the money to (for the ride certification, pin/badge etc.)? Is there a way to check the status of my application? I even tried to sign up for Premier membership using the links elsewhere on the forum, but at the final checkout page on that store I get an HTTP 500 error.

Please help! Thanks!
Right now, it can take as long as 12-14 weeks for us to complete a verification.

You will receive payment information when the ride passes review.

One first needs to become an IBA member (by completing and having certified one of our rides) before one can order a Premier membership.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi,

Please help! Thanks!
Congrats on the ride!!!

Just to set expectations, it used to take MONTHS for a ride to be approved. Keep in mind that hundreds of rides are being submitted and those that certify them are volunteers and have lives like everyone else and they like to go riding once in a while. So when Ira states weeks rather than months that is a good thing.

Hang in there, it will come in due time.

Thank you all for your replies! This really helps!
I don't mind the process taking longer, and I understand that since they're all volunteers, they have their own lives too and the holiday season is almost here.. (Happy Thanksgiving everyone!)

My main concern was knowing whether I've done everything I'm supposed to do (for this application) and not missed out doing something as part of the process. Now that I have a more clear idea of the timelines, it sure does help set my expectations.

Cheers!

Hi Chetan

Congratulations on your Ride!

Without knowing exactly, but seen from my experiences, I guess that another reason for "delays" is caused by the season. I think that most Rides on the northern hemisphere are done in the summer month, which means that there will be more Rides to go through in late summer/autumn for the verification team, than the rest of the year (the main season on the southern hemisphere will of cause be during our winter, but it seems that the activity generally is less down there).

In January I experienced a Ride feedback within 7 days, but the closer to summer, the longer response time; 2, 4, 6 weeks, and right at the moment I´m awaiting response from Rides done in September, October and November, so it´s all about patience.

If you feel that it´s completely unbearably, then do another Ride, just to calm down and be happy ;)

Last edited:

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Hi,

Please help! Thanks!
Congratulations on completion of your first SaddleSore. I have found the best way to deal with the wait is planning the next ride. FYI - I just received a certificate this week for a ride my wife and I completed/submitted in August.

jsoque

Premier Member
Chetan....
[A wise IBA senior member once told me... be patient my son.]
Many congratulations on your achievement, especially in the darn rain!
Many of the confirmations come from IBA volunteers and so they have to confirm dates, times, locations in both directions.
Now, it's time to come north and give the highways in the Northeast a little run for their money.
Here's a little something to get you pumped up for your BunBurner 1500!
See you out there!
Jim S.
IBA # 58718

Hi Chetan, have you received your verification mail?

I received mine on thursday, both for the September, October and November Rides, and have now payed for the Certificates. So now I´ve got the 12 Rides within a 12 mounth period verificated/certificated and have send in and payed for the Mile Eater Silver (2. version). Time will show how long it´ll take to get response on this, as I´ve already send in and paid for the Mile Eater Basic, Bronce, and the Silver (1. version) in August, without having heard anything yet.

I´m thinking of writing a Mile Eater Ride Report once I receive the Certificates. :)

As someone else noted- plan the next one. I submitted a ride from 10.7.17 on 11.7.17, got confirmation email 11.7.17, and it has yet to be processed. I’m waiting for 1 April for a Tour of Honor/SS1K ride. :)