Fools Gold 2018

Sleekit Fkr

Hi All,

Anyone else attempting Fools Gold this year? My proposed route below. Start/Finish + 9 stops. Planning states 1521 miles and 25hrs 12mins!!

Should be......interesting!

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 18.44.49.png

orestesdjc

Premier Member
Just bear in mind that the verifiers will use the shortest route between two points which may mean, for example, the A68 south from Edinburgh rather than the A1. Good luck, any BBG is a challenging ride in the UK. It took me 3 attempts to get my first one.

Sleekit Fkr

Yes, aware of this issue. I should lose about 9 miles due to this and have checked all other possible shortenings with nothing of significance that should impact. This should still leave me with the mileage I need. Its time that is the concern!

orestesdjc

Premier Member
I wouldn't worry too much about times given by routing programs as they'll rarely reflect your riding style. My prefered method is to work out the overall average speed I need to maintain and ride a little above that. My first two bbg attempts I missed by 8 & 5 minutes due to closures at the Dartford Crossing and the Forth Bridge. Everything has to go as planned but it's all good fun and a good excuse for a ride.

Sleekit Fkr

I wouldn't worry too much about times given by routing programs as they'll rarely reflect your riding style. My prefered method is to work out the overall average speed I need to maintain and ride a little above that. My first two bbg attempts I missed by 8 & 5 minutes due to closures at the Dartford Crossing and the Forth Bridge. Everything has to go as planned but it's all good fun and a good excuse for a ride.
I figured 62.5mph average speed needed but as you have experienced it won’t take much of a mishap to miss the boat on this. Will scoure the various national highway sites in the days leading to departure. Kinda hoping it being a Sunday this year it may help with traffic flow particularly around London and Bristol.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Mmm ... This route you have posted has it's additional challenges...
From the Start ... + 9 Fuel fills and the Finish time delay add route delays I can't see the 62.5 Avg Speed.

For your first BBG I would consider the Standard UK Route...
Yes it's slab bashing but you can still make progress filtering on stationary traffic.
The Roadworks on the Devon Expressway ... all expire on or before the 21st March

This route has been verified with a few riders so is on the button for mileage ...

https://www.ironbutt.co.uk/w3/bbgbroute.php

All the best on your Challenge

Last edited:

Sleekit Fkr

Mmm ... This route you have posted has it's additional challenges...
From the Start ... + 9 Fuel fills and the Finish time delay add route delays I can't see the 62.5 Avg Speed.

For your first BBG I would consider the Standard UK Route...
Yes it's slab bashing but you can still make progress filtering on stationary traffic.
The Roadworks on the Devon Expressway ... all expire on or before the 21st March

This route has been verified with a few riders so is on the button for mileage ...

https://www.ironbutt.co.uk/w3/bbgbroute.php

All the best on your Challenge
Thanks, the route is one of two both based on the recommended route. I had to add Miles in the South to make up for miles lost in the North, as seems little point in me heading North for mileage from where I am to then head South IMO. The other route uses M74 for outward and homeward legs, needs one more stop though.

Happy to learn about the needed average, I just divided the miles by the hours, no subtlety but not sure how to get it more accurate/realistic.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks, the route is one of two both based on the recommended route. I had to add Miles in the South to make up for miles lost in the North, as seems little point in me heading North for mileage from where I am to then head South IMO. The other route uses M74 for outward and homeward legs, needs one more stop though.

Happy to learn about the needed average, I just divided the miles by the hours, no subtlety but not sure how to get it more accurate/realistic.
Your not heading north for the mileage it's what works in the 24 hour period and making the most of it.
Mileage is the number one thing to get right ... 1510 - 1515 is the sweet spot
Your looking at doing 1521 + so you've just added 10 mins which you can't afford unless you have a large fuel tank.
Heading down the A1 is a great route but you've added miles, lost time then had it removed by verification unless you do a short stop at Berwick upon tweed..
On the way down you only have one non dual carriageway which you will be doing early in the morning so avoiding traffic.
The run home is all motorway to Perth.

To do a quick cal you should allow for each stop to be 10 mins ... Some are 6 mins others can be 15
9 stops you've lost 1 1/2 hours
Finish .. could still take 10 mins and more in the wrong Service station.
so take off 1 3/4 hours off your 24 hours ... That's now your travel time.
Mileage into your time will give you your avg speed required ...

This leads to planning your fuel stops to the max your tank can do ... this gives you back 10 mins on the long stretches.
(Don't forget to carry a 10 Lt fuel can for the just in case ...

One other factor is your starting from Scotland ... This puts you into traffic at the wrong times.
The plus factor .. Yes it's Sunday so should be better.

If after 22 hours you just can't see yourself hitting the BBG then plan B Fuel at servo and claim you hard earned SS1000. ...

Hope this helps

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Still time for a practice run at BBG pace ...
This will help with the Re-fuel timing, Tank Distance and kit.
SS1000 .. Doing up to 1250 miles if you get a chance will let you know just about everything at BBG pace
or just nip down to Lands End for a Coffee via BP Clacket Lane

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Coming south make sure you clear the M25/Dartford crossing and the south side of the M25 on the return from Folkestone before midday after that time you have the world and his mother in law going home or getting to work for Monday morning.
Give me a wave when you come over the bridge I live close:D

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Coming south make sure you clear the M25/Dartford crossing and the south side of the M25 on the return from Folkestone before midday after that time you have the world and his mother in law going home or getting to work for Monday morning.
Since this year 1st April is Easter Sunday, there may not be the usual Sunday afternoon traffic. It will be interesting to hear from participants what traffic is like.

Next year it's just a 'regular' Monday - not Easter, not half-term.

Regards,
Martin

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The Timings from Scotland John can put the rider over at Bristol area around 10:00 were they can decide on Swansea or Plymouth first for the noon period...
However if a rider was to go anti-clockwise then this can present delays on the final leg home ...
Delays in the usual areas, lower speed limits can prevent good progress ...

Traffic is only a minor part if not planned for ... and minutes in services stations can add or be the main point of failure on BBG's and above..

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Don't forget if you turn left for Plymouth rather than straight on you will need a corner receipt if running from dover....

If going anti clockwise you will need a receipt if you turn right for Swansea....

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Don't forget if you turn left for Plymouth rather than straight on you will need a corner receipt if running from dover....

If going anti clockwise you will need a receipt if you turn right for Swansea....
+1 Gordon

I was hoping that the verification Team would have given an input and did not want to spell it out too much...
Bristol (Shell Gordano) being the Corner point for options ... :)

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
All the best with your FG 2018 ...

Look's like it's going to be a bit cold during the ride for you but not too bad (Better than Monday)

Unfortunately my European Plan has been cancelled so will be on the virtual Bike watching you.