2017 Iron Butt Rally Opening of Registration

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Ira,

I had contacted Ed in 2013, and he suggested to get the insurance from Progressive which I did. This is all fine for US residents, but IMHO not for people from overseas. I'll send you a PN as I do not want to discuss the details in the public forum.
Please do. If Ed needs to do a bit more research for those affected, we'd want him to do so soon.

Thanks.

Ira

Byrdman

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
How and when will the select few by notified that they've been chosen for the '17 IBR? I see that the due date for the initial deposit is March 15th.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
How and when will the select few by notified that they've been chosen for the '17 IBR? I see that the due date for the initial deposit is March 15th.
Everyone who applied should receive an email with either congratulations or condolences. Mike and Lisa can move the date for the initial deposit if warranted.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Check your e mail every 10-15 minutes. Pretty quick your wife will think you are childish and laugh at you.

The operative thinking is, It will be here when it gets here.

Last edited:

TheRoss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Good to hear that I'm not the only one refreshing my email repeatedly throughout the day!

Childish, perhaps. But I remain on the edge of my seat, hoping for the good news.

selil

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Somewhere along the line the IronButt email servers got blacklisted by my ISP so I had to change email accounts. This has caused me no small level of grief over the last year. Now it is causing a lot of angst. In or out. Just want to know. .... Like usual I just plan on riding with the wife no matter what. Like usual I still have trepidation.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Just a little update.

Mike mentioned that due to the large number of entries, the notifications will be going out in a few days, and that the March 15th deadline for the first payment will be extended. So you can back off the refresh button for a little while.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Wonder how many people applied and how many are chosen? How are the names drawn?
I don't have the application count, but it's in the hundreds. The selection process is more complicated than space allows to explain, but suffice it to say there are various allocations for new IBR riders, vets, winners and top finishers from other rallies (e.g., entries for the top ten places in this year's Butt Lite), hopeless class and other novel bikes, and a few slots left for the rallymaster's descretion. Nominally, we aim for about 100 riders on the starting line.

At the banquet this evening, Mike made the point that we want to keep the rally at this size, so there will be a lot more "sorry" notices than "congratulations ". We wish we could accommodate more, but if you're not drawn, please don't be too discouraged and put your name back in for the next time.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Hey Ira, the signup form is not working quite right. The State dropdown doesn't list states nor does it allow entry. I've tried Chrome and Edge where the form displays but has the error. In IE11 the form doesn't display at all. Neither does the 'already signed up list'.
As I've mentioned in other threads, we are aware of the issue with some browsers. I'm not sure of which ones work (IE? Firefox?). It's been reported to Mike.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt association