Armistice 1000

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher

Arm 1000.png
The Armistice 1000

The 11th November 2018 is the 100th anniversary of the end fighting in the First World War.​

G S John suggested that we mark the occasion with a special ride that will also benefit the Royal British Legion poppy appeal. I’m happy to announce the Armistice 1000 which can only be ridden during November 2018.

You can choose your own route and go where ever you want whenever you want during November 2018. If you choose to use one of the RBLR1000 routes you can start anywhere on the route as long as you finish in the same place. Collect the receipts listed but instead of going to Squires café get a receipt at A1M/M62 Ferrybridge services. http://www.rblr1000.co.uk/routesmain.html Note only the 1000 mile routes can be used for the Armistice 1000

If you fancy an easier to ride route, on mostly motorways, then follow this well tried and tested route. Shell Gordano, BP Stirling, Shell Berwick, Shell Folkstone, Shell Gordano. Again start anywhere on the loop and finish in the same place.

Every rider who completes the ride will receive a one off Armistice 1000 certificate, a commemorative patch and verification of their ride. The ride fee will be £35 of which £10 will be donated to the Poppy Appeal. Riders who are not Iron Butt Members can take part in the ride and by completing it will become life time Iron Butt Members.

Make sure you read the “Rider Guidance document” and down load the “Ride documentation” here https://www.ironbutt.co.uk/w3/docs.php

On this occasion you need to pre-register so we can source the patches in advance. Register by sending £5 by PAYPAL to [email protected] with a note including your name and “Armistice 1000” and send me an email [email protected] with your name and address and the heading “Armistic 1000”. If by chance you fail on the ride just email me with your story and I will send you a certificate noting what you achieved.

Attachments

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Not sure what the exact issue is Crezz or what your work is but there is no way I'd let my employer affect my non working time. They dont own me only employ me.
As I said I could be wrong as I don't know or wish to know your circumstances.

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Deposit payment sent.
Don't know why but I'm thinking of a ride to Normandy where my Granddad came ashore on D/Day. Fortunately for us he came home safe and sound but i think he would be pleased I made the effort.
I will have to find out which beach from family as he has passed away now , this might be difficult as there are so few left alive that would remember.
Is there anywhere I could find any information on this if family don't know ?.
Cheers for any help.

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Deposit sent...not sure which route yet, but South looks the best for the time of year.
Not sure either about using the Euro Tunnel for an SS1000, too many uncontrolled variables, but good luck Jon!
See you Saturday at the Tunnel!

orestesdjc

Premier Member
Deposit payment sent.
Don't know why but I'm thinking of a ride to Normandy where my Granddad came ashore on D/Day. Fortunately for us he came home safe and sound but i think he would be pleased I made the effort.
I will have to find out which beach from family as he has passed away now , this might be difficult as there are so few left alive that would remember.
Is there anywhere I could find any information on this if family don't know ?.
Cheers for any help.
Do you know in which regiment he served? Contact their archivist/old boys assoc or failing that contact the War Museum.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Would love to do this, but not able due to long distance riding being frowned upon by where I work.
You're only going to live once, it's not a rehearsal, and it's your life. If your employer "frowns upon" you doing what you want you must of course choose your priorities. If your employer frowns upon long distance riding because "it's dangerous" or some similar slovenly piece of reasoning perhaps you should help your employer to adjust his/her/its thinking rather than meekly accepting that view.

Crezz

You're only going to live once, it's not a rehearsal, and it's your life. If your employer "frowns upon" you doing what you want you must of course choose your priorities. If your employer frowns upon long distance riding because "it's dangerous" or some similar slovenly piece of reasoning perhaps you should help your employer to adjust his/her/its thinking rather than meekly accepting that view.
I understand everyone's comments and I agree. However, when your employer is the Government, namely the DVSA, it is hard for them to see long distance riding not being dangerous, but we all know different. All my previous rides were pre DVSA and therefore not an issue. I really enjoy my work and would not want to put myself in an awkward position re my employment.

Thanks everyone for you support though.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
It might well be "hard for them to see ..." but that makes the frowning thing even worse. I don't want to make a martyr of you but someone should take on board the implications of a government agency effectively acting in a discriminatory way - unless they have evidence to support the proposition that all long distance riding is dangerous?
It wouldn't be the first time that the DVSA has made stuff up and enforced its made up rules; I know of test candidates who have been penalised, sometimes failed, for breaching DVSA "rules" including right foot down at red light, using a permitted bus lane by entering halfway rather than at the start.
If the DVSA has evidence that long distance riding is dangerous then they should do something about it officially. If everything not proven to be safe is banned, many aspects of life will become challenging for everyone, not just road users and not just long distance motorcyclists.
Perhaps IBAUK should start preserving evidence (miles, hours, accidents) for future battles? Maybe even proactively taking the matter to the DVSA by doing a presentation to ... ok, preparing such a presentation .. I'll open a new thread for that purpose.

Crezz

This is the plan. Ride to St Symphorien military cemetery, Rue Nestor Dehon 32, 7030 Mons, Belgium and lay a wreath on the grave of George Ellison, last recorded British soldier to be killed 11 Nov 1918 in WW1. He is buried directly opposite the first one killed, John Parr on the 4 Aug 1914, whom some of you may remember me laying a wreath at his grave on the 4 Aug 2014 and then placing a poppy at 99 other CWGC on the way back while also trying to complete 1000 miles in under 24 hours, but was unsuccessful due to the front wheel bearings dying on me at Dartford crossing on the way back.

This is the route just off the top of my head, more detail needed. https://goo.gl/maps/mKKwCdbGS382

Last edited: