Keeping Your Fuel Cell Cool

Traxx

Premier Member
What do ya'll do to keep your fuel cell cool when in the sun? I have been looking for a heat reflective paint or simalur . It seems like there are options for the home but trying to find

Traxx

Premier Member
Very nice, my new "to me" tank is an odd shape. I will put up pictures when it arrives. I think I remember that there is someone that makes custom covers/bags, I will see if I can find that again.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
This is the cell on my RT. Before and after. Had the cover made at a local canvas upholstery shop. Had him mold a foam backpad into it and pockets for small stuff like quick-disconnect replacements, pencils etc.. Works great. IMG_0102 (Medium).JPG IMG_0102 (Medium).JPG left (Medium).JPG

Traxx

Premier Member
Steve I really like that solution. Especially with the back pad and tool pockets. I guess part of it is to make the tank a little less conspicuous.

Traxx

Premier Member
Jajajajajajajaja I crack my self up.
Here in Texas the temps reach a point that the stock tank will pressureise and I would like to avoid that with the Aux tank. Think about the direct sunlight frying an egg on a rock and compare that to the ambient air temp. Annnnnd I want it cool to the touch.

So what have you done to keep your stock tank cool? I'm really not trying to be argumentative at all, just trying to understand why it's a big issue. As long as it's vented then you won't build unsafe pressures.

With that said, if you just want it cool because it feels better to you then I think the suggestion of having a cover made is a good one. Take it down to your friendly neighborhood upholstery shop and have them make a cover out of silver or white awning material. They could sew in some 1/2 foam while they're at it which would add some insulation. If you need an excuse for a nice ride then come on up to WY and I'll make you a cover and we'll hit up some ToH sites :)

Traxx

Premier Member
I generally burn through the fuel fast enough that it doesn’t pressureise quickly on the stock tank. If I am not on the bike she is in the garage, at least when I am home. As far as the vent, I have had the little check valve rock get stuck and was sprayed opening the fuel tank. I stand opposite of the opening now. The aux tank will sit full at least until I am at 1/4 tank left. Lots more time to heat up. Call me paranoid, I have been working in explosive atmospheres for the last 20 years and even liquid in a drip pan makes me double take.
As far as heading up your way. I think that on advrider iron butt thread the center of the world ride was mentioned for this summer. I would like to hit some northern states when I am up there. I probably need to check on that. I am looking forward to TOH. I wonder what misadventures we all will be getting into.

Don't overthink it too much, Traxx. My main tank heats up and pressurizes against my aux tank and it drains slow when temps are 97 or above, but.... it still drains. I've learned to just stop staring at the fuel level and range on the instrument panel. I do like the idea of the cover, though. I wish Linda T were still making covers. Her tankbags looked cool too.

Vlad

Premier Member
I cut the bottom out of the closest sized commercially available bag I could find and fitted it over the top and bolted it to the mounting structure so it too has half a dozen pockets in it, think it cost me a hundred bucks and some stuffing around. It gets fairly warm over here in Aus as well and this tank has been to the middle in the desert many times, my concern was to keep the direct sunlight off it and to make it more incognito and it has worked.
I use an Earls performance roll over/vent valve and have had no issues with pressure. AN6 vent line if memory serves.You get the occasional wiff of fuel when it gets hot.

I had a "Quick tank" auxiliary cell on my '06 Gold Wing until I sold the bike. Whenever I stopped for food/fuel/"pit stop", the gas fill up was the last thing I would do before leaving the gas station and I filled the main tank to just beneath the fill tube and filled auxiliary tank to just beneath the vent outlet. Once on the road I opened the auxiliary tank value for about a minute of two to fill the line and bleed off pressure from the auxiliary tank, then shut off the valve. About 50-75 miles down the road I would open the valve for about 5 minutes to bleed off more pressure.

Depending on speed, wind direction, and altitude, I was good for close to 500 miles.

The only time I had fuel spill out of the vent line was when I completely filled the auxiliary tank and let the bike sit in the sun.

Of course, as always, YMMV. The '06 below...