Rusjel's Hell to Heaven

Fatman

Thanks for the write up Russell, it is also a ride burning at LTP and I after attempting the H to H last Xmas time only to get a rock through the new tyre 20km north from Lyndhurst. Maybe I will get a set of adventure tyres for the RT this Xmas and give it another crack... Come to think of it I have time off! o_O

Glad your conquered this one, I know my schedule doesn't allow a lot of down time in the 24 hour period. Sounds like you managed the equation very well.. :)

Nico

Well-known Member. Moderator
... it's a bigger ride than it looks on paper.
It sure is Russ!

Congrats on achieving this one - very well done!
And thanks for the detailed report.
With the nature of terrain at start and finish it adds to the degree of difficulty doing the ends in the wee hours.
My attempt a couple of years ago was to reach Lake Eyre via the Borefield Rd out of Roxby Downs. Was this in your mix of calculations?
I remember it meant around 20-25km less dirt but a little bit more overall distance.

Congrats again on a tough one.

Rusjel

Premier Member
Great question Nico. I held off having a crack at this for as long as I could, As you know. I really wanted you to have another go at it first. I hope you still get that chance.

Roxby- Lake Eyre- Maree is a good option and there are 24hr receipt possibilities in Roxby. However, while the distance via Roxby gives you slightly less gravel, I reckon the first 20ks or so out of Olympic Dam are more challenging than anything on the Oodnadatta track and as you observed, because of that It's a slower option.

I reckon with the gravel you've got to take the view that it's part of the ride and embrace it. If you ride that section with gritted teeth it's slower, less enjoyable and fatigues you more. Likewise with the Alps section. I planned 85km/h moving average on the gravel at night 90km/h in the Alps and 105 on the daytime sealed sections. In the end I was able to go comfortably faster than that, but factoring the slower speed into your calcs and understanding that you still have time in hand takes the pressure off. I calculated 22 hrs in my runsheet, it actually took a tich over 21.

If you were planning a H2H2H factoring in my extra stops for receipts and nod breaks you could probably shave that down to 20hrs, which would give you a good nap at the halfway mark and still have plenty of time in hand.

Speaking of H2H2H, I dips me lid to Karl. He suggested I have a crack at one when this was in the planning stage, but, having got to the end I couldn't think of a single motivation to turn around and head back. Maybe one day. But mentally tough and determined? You have it Sir, well done.

Vlad

Premier Member
Great ride report Russ. I will only ever see “fatso ,bambi, babe and skippy” from now on:)
Congratulations on a top shelf ride and well done to Ed for coming out for the paper work, Although I suspect he had fun.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Great ride report Russ. I will only ever see “fatso ,bambi, babe and skippy” from now on:)
Congratulations on a top shelf ride and well done to Ed for coming out for the paper work, Although I suspect he had fun.
Don't forget the bush chucks Vlad.

Top ride Russ. Thanks for the report.

Fatman

Congratulations Russell on a great looking certificate, fitting for your well ridden tough ride. Top marks..

Our application should be ready to be sent off soon, been doing a bit of riding over Xmas/New Year......