Base Camp

~Martin~

RBLR1000 Finisher
IBA Member
Is there any way of using Basecamp if I don’t own a Garmin? I’m using my route-app and very underwhelmed with the web interface as it keeps lagging or crashing.

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
You can but the maps are very limited, no detail...you can borrow a Garmin, and use the map options, download a copy of the maps to Basecamp, give the Garmin back....then you will have full functionality for planning a route.

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
I can, no problem, I'll even do it for you...you will need to bring a laptop with Basecamp loaded.

Jonnyp

IBA Member
I use basecamp on my main laptop and have the latest maps, don’t need the Zumo connected. A month or so ago I downloaded basecamp on a netbook to use while I’m away (if I need to) but I have to have the Zumo connected to access the latest maps. Once I unplug the Zumo it goes (the next time it open basecamp) back to the base map..

I’ve not as yet tried a full down load of the current maps but that’s the only way I can see you can use it off line (from the Garmin) as it were..I’m waiting on the next map update.

Just a hint...

yes you can or could use basecamp without a garmin i found a way a few years back and it should still work. Download osm maps then you will have a fully detailed map to use in base camp. osm maps seem popular with certain groups and do appear to be quite detailed.. as with all these things there was a draw back once i started loading maps of more than one country etc you could only have one at once open least i only got that far. in the end i just plugged a garmin in but your stuck with the maps in that garmin but most can be upgraded. osm maps worked without the need for an internet connection and ran as replacement for a garmin unit.
not tried this for a while now

~Martin~

RBLR1000 Finisher
IBA Member
yes you can or could use basecamp without a garmin i found a way a few years back and it should still work. Download osm maps then you will have a fully detailed map to use in base camp. osm maps seem popular with certain groups and do appear to be quite detailed.. as with all these things there was a draw back once i started loading maps of more than one country etc you could only have one at once open least i only got that far. in the end i just plugged a garmin in but your stuck with the maps in that garmin but most can be upgraded. osm maps worked without the need for an internet connection and ran as replacement for a garmin unit.
not tried this for a while now
Once I've installed Basecamp I will try this, but I do like the Garmin map, I have acces to Garmi Mapy on Myroute-app, but no way I can see to extract them for my own use.