Received my Bun Burner 1500 but no Saddle Sore

Back in August I did a Saddle Sore 1000 combined with the Bun burner 1500 and only received the 1500 Recognition with no explanation why I didn’t get the 1000 in 24 . Did I do something wrong? I read on another thread that they will give an explanation for rejected rides.

Thanks
Gary

I read on another thread that when doing both, they will only send you a certificate for the greater achievement, the Bun Burner. I was thinking of doing them combined as well next month, so I went looking for the answers to my questions and this is what I found as a response to others similar question.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
The thinking is that, although not strictly true, in order to complete a BB1500 to must have done an SS1000. Essentially you only did a single ride and you've been given credit for the longer ride.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
@AMattingly @saphena An SS1k within a BB15 is completly acceptable and NOT a given. If you ride 800 miles in the first 24 hours and 700 miles in the following 12 hours, you have completed a BB15 but not an SS1k. Whereas if you ride 1k miles in the first 24 hours then 500 in the following 12, you have completed both and can get certificates for both. It is the BBG and SS1k that cannot be combined because they are both 24 hour rides.

@Flying Skeet Maybe review your paperwork and make certain you claimed both? It isn't too late if you forgot to claim the SS1k. The other possibility is you didn't provide sufficient documentation to prove the 1,000 before the 24 hour time limit. Either way, a note to the IBA might get you the answer you want a lot faster...?

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Not sure what you are trying to prove with this link. You do understand there is a difference between a BB15 and a BBG, no?

You cannot complete a BBG without having also completed an SS1k. Therefore you can only get one certificate and credit for one ride.

You CAN complete a BB15 without having completed an SS1k. Therefore, if you satisfy the requirements of an SS1k, you CAN get both certificates and credit for both rides.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
To state it again, if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only issue one certificate. For example, everyone who completes a Bun Burner GOLD (1,500 miles in 24 hours or less) has by definition completed a Saddlesore 1000 (1,000 miles in 24 hours or less) and a Bun Burner 1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours or less). So we would only issue the BBG certificate.

On the other hand, as has been pointed out above, it's possible to complete a Bun Burner 1500 without necessarily completing a Saddlesore 1000. So, assuming one picks up a receipt at the 1,000-mile/24-hour mark to demonstrate they completed the Saddlesore 1000 within the time limit, we could issue both.

Also, if anyone applies for (and pays for) the SS1K/BB1500 certs on the same ride but only receives one or the other, please drop me some email at

[email protected]

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Not sure what you are trying to prove with this link. You do understand there is a difference between a BB15 and a BBG, no?
I do, thank you; I was simply providing the supporting link in which this topic was well covered. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Like it was stated above BBG + SS1K (no).

BB1500 + SS1K ( possibly yes, if you actually did >1K miles in < 24 Hrs inside the BB1500). You have to prove that with your receipts ! I did that twice, and got both certs, and that makes me a certified certificate whore.

Last edited:
Back in August I did a Saddle Sore 1000 combined with the Bun burner 1500 and only received the 1500 Recognition with no explanation why I didn’t get the 1000 in 24 . Did I do something wrong? I read on another thread that they will give an explanation for rejected rides.

Thanks
Gary

How long did it take to get your order? I am still waiting on my order?

Bam