The "100k Club"

Anthony Osborne

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
100,000 miles in one year !
Is anyone attempting this ride this year?
I had another rider (Who has accomplished this ride) share with me how he did it and I found his
method very interesting (I may even use it during the course of the year)
I would like some ideas on the method that other riders would use in attempting this ride.
At this point in time, I am considering this feat… still not willing to commit 100%, but I am feeling the
waters. I am still working full time, so consider that.
At this point in time I am riding a BBG every weekend, but will have to double up in the future. This
would mean finishing up #2 BBG at 4 am and going to work at 6:30 am on Monday mornings.
Please share how you would attempt this ride (Or have done this ride) Any Ideas or thoughts will
be appreciated.
Thanks, Tony

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
So, every mile is logged for 365 days per IBA standards?

Okay, so you're working - commuting miles to work and back...why wouldn't those count? (I'm just askin' the obvious question in all of this...)

A BBG and a SS done in a weekend means something less than 40 weekends worth of riding.

EDIT: @Dan Simmonds to the white courtesy phone...

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Okay, so you're working - commuting miles to work and back...why wouldn't those count? (I'm just askin' the obvious question in all of this...)
Is it "total miles" rode (where you could count daily commute miles); or only miles rode while completing an IBA recognized ride i.e. Saddlesore, BunBurner, 50CC, 100CCC, 48/10, UCC etc.?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Is it "total miles" rode (where you could count daily commute miles); or only miles rode while completing an IBA recognized ride i.e. Saddlesore, BunBurner, 50CC, 100CCC, 48/10, UCC etc.?
Naah - I'm a dummy... :rolleyes: D'oh!

When you click on this:

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/

Where it lists the "100K Club", you're taken to:

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssmore/

So, it's a series of IBA recognized rides as a collective for >100k in a year of riding.

Damn impressive feat right there!

Anthony Osborne

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ken, To answer your question…
I do ride my cycle to work every day, but the total round trip is a mere 14 miles. I am trying to make this attempt easy
as far as documentation goes. If I can pull it off, it will be easy for the certification process too. My goal is 100k in cert. rides.
The plan (Right now) is to try to put up at least 7,500 miles a month for 6 months. This would put me close to 50k at the midway
point without vacation. I am trying to take the month of July off and attempt the longest month. Past that, I haven't planned yet.

mcrigid

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
So, it's a series of IBA recognized rides as a collective for >100k in a year of riding.
I could be way off but I don't interpret the rules that way.

Theoretically, I believe you could log and document riding 500 miles a day for 200 days, as an example, and still qualify for the 100K in a year.

Just as it is not necessary to ride 1000 miles each day for four days to qualify for an SS4K. As long as the miles are within the time allotted.
Certainly, it would easier to use a collection of certified rides.

I wonder if one could "nest" certified rides within the 100K to save on certification costs.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
It is the total miles ridden in a year, not just those completed within an IBA certificate ride.

The ride's rules page doesn't provide much information, but what you would need to do is maintain a log and every receipt related to the years' riding - not ony gas receipts, but those for tires, tuneups, maintenance, etc. Remember - it's up to you to demonstrate you rode the ride you claim by submitting sufficient documentation to do so. You can certainly submit for other IBA certificate rides within that year-long ride.

Some examples of the reasons why some have completed the ride, I think it was Phil Mann who racked up 113,000 miles in six months when he held a job transporting motorcycle parts between Chicago and the West Coast (he won the BMW MOA mileage contest that year. I'm not sure if that record has ever been broken). Joe Mandeville rode 103,000 miles in six month while training for the Iron Butt Rally. And I think Bob Higdon made the club when he was collecting courthouses. The point is that there are lots of ways to get it done for those who really, really want it. And you really, really have to want it. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
It is the total miles ridden in a year, not just those completed within an IBA certificate ride.

The ride's rules page doesn't provide much information, but what you would need to do is maintain a log and every receipt related to the years' riding - not ony gas receipts, but those for tires, tuneups, maintenance, etc. Remember - it's up to you to demonstrate you rode the ride you claim by submitting sufficient documentation to do so.<...>
So, I *did* interpret it correctly! ;) Cool!!

I do completely understand the ramifications of the data collection process that Anthony presents - and how he's making life a bit easier for the cert team members.

I wish you success!!

Doing the mileage is one thing, but the sheer cost of this ride is quite another...

100,000 miles @ 33mpg = 3,030 gallons of gas @ $2.75/gallon = $8,332,50.
DS rear tire, 4 changes @ $140 per change (tire + mounting) = $560
Front tire change, 10 changes @ $250 per change (tire + mounting) = $2,500
BMW LC RT 6K & 12K services (combining them), 6 services @ $300 per service (only plugs, fluids, filters, washers) = $1,800

Total for bike maintenance: $13,192.50.

Now if someone is doing IBA rides, then there's the cost of certification:

67 BBGs @ $40/each = $2,680
100 SS1Ks @ 40/each = $4,000

Of course, there are dozens and dozens of rides one can do, so I am not going through them all, just using the most common ones, and as Ira mentioned, one doesn't need to complete IBA rides at all to accomplish this feat, but one stills need the documentation.

So for me, it wouldn't be whether I personally could do this or not, but could my finances?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
...or, you're simply certifying a *single* ride ($120).

Yer gonna talk to Mike K. on whether you're taking credit like that (on the smaller rides...) as it doesn't seem like others in the 100k club have done so.

Anthony Osborne

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
BMW RT Pilot,
I hope those are estimates for you (?) 44 MPG here, gas has been not so costly, 7 rear tires @ $140, 4 front tires @ $110
spoon the tires on myself, bike maintenance (Its a Yamaha FJR) oil changes and rear diff. every 3rd time, Certs are by my choice (Not needed)
I ride 40-50k a year anyway. Using rides to visit family and friends - Priceless!