Russell Day Long Seats

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
I had this conversation with Robert, can't remember his exact words...but, don't get leather, not good in the rain, vinyl is hard wearing, easy to clean...and when your butt's on it you won't know the difference. I believe cheaper as well.

Safari Ferg

Safari Ferg, President IBA Ireland
Premier Member
Just to flag up an alternative, have a look at http://laamseats.com/ they were recommended to me by a fellow IBA member who has one on his FJR1300, my K1100LT-SE is now fettled/farkled with one, that I could not have attempted any certified run without: Seth Laamb is very knowledgeable and professional.

Winglider

Ex-Wiinglider
IBA Member
Thanks for all the advice, and the link to Laamseats.com. But I have decided to go for a Russell.

I guess it looks like Vinyl then :)

Things are on the move bought a secondhand BMW R1200 RT seat off eBay today. It’s a BMW high seat but that should not be a problem as I ride with the standard seat on the high position + an air hawk and sheepskin. I can set the new high seat in the low position and there will only be about 5mm height difference in height. Now I can check out what height seat suits me best and use that seat as the donor seat for the Russell day long,
:D:D

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I have Vinyl and get a sweaty bottom. I had leather on a previous RDL and wish I’d paid the extra for leather on this one.

Just my $0.02

sweaty bottom sounds like a nasty affliction, but i know what you mean. i've acquired some super dooper high tech material seat covering. basically its a mesh that allows airflow and doesn't hold water it cannot be compressed to prevent that airflow. the advice is not to use it below +8* c to dam cold on the vitals. but as of yet its not been hot enough to use it so cant report on whether it lives up to the claims.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
I have Vinyl and get a sweaty bottom. I had leather on a previous RDL and wish I’d paid the extra for leather on this one. Just my $0.02
Add a lamb or sheepskin cover then. These add a bit of extra comfort and prevent any sweatyness.

c10

Leather ! What I have , and caught in rain often . On a ss1000 600 miles was in the rain . Jay asked what I rode in . Jeans / leathers or other brand riding pants . In Houston Texas if your riding in the summer its jeans . No monkey butt ever with leather . Vinyl does not breathe .
I keep my seat treated 4 times a year . All of 3 minutes work . Use my jacket or a small hand towel to cover when not on bike to reduce UV on the seat .